E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Lux H8 V3 Angel Eye Review

12-04-2012, 07:27 PM   #45
deceptiv.335
Private
Rep
Drives: 335

I just got these also, tad bit disappointed, they're nice and all.. but for peopel seeking perfection, they fall just a hair short.

Had i read this thread or known, I would have saved the $255, and maybe bought 5k D1S bulbs instead and just kept the factory lights, but alas.. I'll keep em in for awhile
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 12:11 AM   #46
Kalidian
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW '09 E90 328xi

I just installed mine on an lci e90 and I'm a little disappointed to say that the outer rings almost don't light up at all. The inner rings look fantastic though. Oh well, to me it's still miles ahead of the stock yellow ae's.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 08:12 AM   #47
Blindside_137
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 SSII E90 M3 ZCP

I installed mine the other day. And yea, the outer rings suck if you're standing directly next to the headlight within 10 feet. No one is ever anywhere near that close to the car.

I drove my dads car the other day and he followed me in mine and from all viewing angles the Lux were just perfect. Looked exactly like the new 5 series and x5's. Not quite as bright as the e92 lci or f30 but IMO those are too bright almost.

I love these.

If you aren't satisfied, sell them. They're a hot item.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 09:13 AM   #48
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
Yep, there are only two options that are brighter than LUX. Alpine's or OSS'. I would love OSS' but I would need a separate set of lights to send them in, or spend 2 days to an install (well, would probably take me two days, could be done in one). BTW...completely satisfied with my LUX

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 10:41 AM   #49
Blindside_137
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken1137
Yep, there are only two options that are brighter than LUX. Alpine's or OSS'. I would love OSS' but I would need a separate set of lights to send them in, or spend 2 days to an install (well, would probably take me two days, could be done in one). BTW...completely satisfied with my LUX
+1

I would've gone alpine but the heat issues and insane brightness at night turned me away. And if I went OSS it would be 3x the cost of lux because I would've gone crazy with blackout customizing. Ill use that extra saved money on an aero lip.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 03:09 PM   #50
whosdady
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by inimeg View Post
I just got these also, tad bit disappointed, they're nice and all.. but for peopel seeking perfection, they fall just a hair short.

Had i read this thread or known, I would have saved the $255, and maybe bought 5k D1S bulbs instead and just kept the factory lights, but alas.. I'll keep em in for awhile
That was the purpose of my post. Had I been able to read my own review prior to purchase, I too would have saved my money. Hopefully Lux will come out with a new version that beats their current set up and everyone can be happy.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 04:45 PM   #51
Blindside_137
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Lux can't come up with a better version. It's the design of the lights. No matter the bulb, the outer ring will never be as bright at close distances. Making a brighter led wouldn't change the OEM design. The only option to satisfy you seems to be OSS.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 11:13 AM   #52
LuxAngelEyes
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindside_137 View Post
Lux can't come up with a better version. It's the design of the lights. No matter the bulb, the outer ring will never be as bright at close distances. Making a brighter led wouldn't change the OEM design. The only option to satisfy you seems to be OSS.
Thank you for clarifying again,.

The outer ring are physcially not visible unless you look at them from a specific angle. If you re-install the stock bulbs you will see the Exact same thing. no matter what light source you are using the outer ring will only be visible when looking at the rings from straight on. Too bad we cant change physics to make them work better

Just as an example, here is a yellow light installed in the angel eyes. you can see that the outer ring appears clear when looking at it from an angle

Last edited by LuxAngelEyes; 12-07-2012 at 11:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 04:09 PM   #53
whosdady
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

I understand the flaw, that the inner rings will always be slightly brighter. However, I believe certain brands/styles combat that problem better than others. For example, my second picture (on this post) shows a comparison of stock vs lux. If you compare the two you will notice the stock outer ring is brighter than the lux outer ring. Why is that?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 04:43 PM   #54
insane79
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 lci

i have installed the mtec h8 leds in my e90 lci with xenons, i got the same issue too, the outer ring looks nice & bright only when viewing them atleast 10ft from the car, its the design flaw nothing much can be done, so the f10 angel eyes has 2 pair leds bulbs instead of 1 pair like in the e90 design? Thats why they are so bright?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 11:37 AM   #55
LuxAngelEyes
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whosdady View Post
I understand the flaw, that the inner rings will always be slightly brighter. However, I believe certain brands/styles combat that problem better than others. For example, my second picture (on this post) shows a comparison of stock vs lux. If you compare the two you will notice the stock outer ring is brighter than the lux outer ring. Why is that?
in that 2nd pic there could be 2 things going on.
First its hard to tell the exact angel of where that picture was taken from. If it taken close to the left side then the left eye will be more visible. Pictures are always extremely hard to judge things by since a slight movement will change it.
2nd is the temperature of the color. The LUX H8 V3 angel eyes are the same color as daylight so there is less contrast to the surrounding light. the Stock bulbs are more yellow which provides contrast and makes them appear brighter.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 09:19 PM   #56
TrentOSU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11' AW e90 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koreyy View Post
i just got this used installed couple days ago,, i say oem is still brighter in daytime but at night LUX is way brighter. i guess white makes more brighter in night time for sure.
I've seen an e92 328 in town with the white bulbs and they are extremely bright and perfect in the daytime. Next time I see him i'll try and talk with him and see what he's using.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 11:29 PM   #57
Doccao
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: ‘15 BMW M4

Just installed my LuxH8 tonight (about 20 mins)...

Aligning the new bulbs back into the headlight housing was very tricky (even with small hands). The initial result parked in a dark garage was 100x better than stock. Anxious to see it in daylight tomorrow.

After reading pages of review, my expectations are somewhat lower. But in a few years, the technology will be even better (maybe Samsung will start making Angel eyes). But for now, I'm satisfied with Lux as a good lighting upgrade. Two cent...
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 10:58 AM   #58
LuxAngelEyes
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doccao View Post
Just installed my LuxH8 tonight (about 20 mins)...

Aligning the new bulbs back into the headlight housing was very tricky (even with small hands). The initial result parked in a dark garage was 100x better than stock. Anxious to see it in daylight tomorrow.

After reading pages of review, my expectations are somewhat lower. But in a few years, the technology will be even better (maybe Samsung will start making Angel eyes). But for now, I'm satisfied with Lux as a good lighting upgrade. Two cent...
Glad your happy
Appreciate 0