E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Please help with BMW Performance intake Installation

04-16-2011, 10:57 AM   #1
speedfan
Major
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: BMW

Please help with BMW Performance intake Installation

Hi,

Please take a look at my kit.

According to: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...=13&fg=95&hl=2
Everything's there.

But when I have it installed, It seems that 1 piece is missing (the part with the air sensor?!?!)

The box on top is the stock 1. it has a tube with an air sensor attached.
The bottom 1 is the BMW Performance & it seems not to have the air sensor & the tube.

Please advice,
Thanks,
D
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 12:03 PM   #2
c_jeong89
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 TiAg

IIRC you are suppose to use the other half of your stock intake, which contains that part. It's not really a "full" intake system you have to use parts from your old one too.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 12:14 PM   #3
alex2112
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1 M-Sport

hmm, your stock intake piece in the pic looks a bit off... it should have two halves that sandwich together with the panel filter in the middle. You are supposed to reuse the rear section of the two stock pieces (which includes the MAF sensor) and bolt it up to the new front half which is included in your Performance kit. Is your stock airbox a euro box by chance? That would explain why the two don't seem to fit together.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 01:07 PM   #4
speedfan
Major
Vietnam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2112 View Post
hmm, your stock intake piece in the pic looks a bit off... it should have two halves that sandwich together with the panel filter in the middle. You are supposed to reuse the rear section of the two stock pieces (which includes the MAF sensor) and bolt it up to the new front half which is included in your Performance kit. Is your stock airbox a euro box by chance? That would explain why the two don't seem to fit together.
THAT MUST BE IT. My car is an european e90 2009 LCI 325i.

The stock intake comes in 1 solid piece...

so, the only way to fit this thing is to order a US spec intake, & fit it onto the performance intake, correct?

Could I get the part number for that piece please?

Thanks for your time.
D
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 04:40 PM   #5
m_power
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

Garage List
2008 E90 328  [0.00]
I saw at least one US spec intake box for sale under the private sales forum for N/A cars. Pick up one of those, and if you want better air flow and sound do the carbon filter delete. Since you car is a Euro model, reuse your Euro MAF sensor or I believe you'll get an error code. I'd include the link for the air box, but I'm posting from my phone. Good luck!

19" V713's Staggered, Blacklines, PBX Powerbox, aFe Oiled Drop In, Carbon Filter Delete, MMW CSv2 Muffler, Koni Yellows w/ H&R Sport Springs, CDV Delete, BMW Performance Grill, BMW Performance SSK, BMW Performance Handbrake
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 04:44 PM   #6
m_power
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 E90 328  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_power View Post
I saw at least one US spec intake box for sale under the private sales forum for N/A cars. Pick up one of those, and if you want better air flow and sound do the carbon filter delete. Since you car is a Euro model, reuse your Euro MAF sensor or I believe you'll get an error code. I'd include the link for the air box, but I'm posting from my phone. Good luck!
http://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=467395 here's your link.

19" V713's Staggered, Blacklines, PBX Powerbox, aFe Oiled Drop In, Carbon Filter Delete, MMW CSv2 Muffler, Koni Yellows w/ H&R Sport Springs, CDV Delete, BMW Performance Grill, BMW Performance SSK, BMW Performance Handbrake
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 01:21 AM   #7
speedfan
Major
Vietnam
Rep

Quote:
m_power, that means, don't use the carbon part which says "BMW Performance"?
Please advice,
D
p.s. btw, Thanks for the link to the sale of US air box
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 07:09 AM   #8
m_power
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 E90 328  [0.00]
You have to use the part with the carbon filter. The carbon filter is present in all US models as a means to trap carbon emissions. A common mod done is to remove the carbon filter element to improve the sound and performance of our cars. There are tons of write ups a DIY's on how to do it. I'd definitely recommend it, especially since it's the performance intake.

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 09:35 AM   #9
m_power
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 E90 328  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfan View Post
Quote:
m_power, that means, don't use the carbon part which says "BMW Performance"?
Please advice,
D
p.s. btw, Thanks for the link to the sale of US air box
Sorry, just re-read your post again. Yes definitely use the carbon fiber intake snorkel!

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 11:18 AM   #10
tolkino
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 BSM E92 328i xDrive

Have you tried fitting the top cover of performance intake to your stock air box? If it fits, that way you can just go with a K&N round filter and get better results
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 11:29 AM   #11
speedfan
Major
Vietnam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolkino View Post
Have you tried fitting the top cover of performance intake to your stock air box? If it fits, that way you can just go with a K&N round filter and get better results
I will bring the car to the shop & try tomorrow.
Thanks.

@m_power, oh thank you.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 11:42 AM   #12
Rick4345
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 WRX World Rally Blue

Garage List
Thumbs up Here is an EXCELLENT DIY

This should answer your question. Good Luck

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...e+installation
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 12:09 PM   #13
CobraMarty
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi e90 + e92

That is the EURO box you have on your car. You had a round filter. What is it you are trying to accomplish? The EURO box is just as good or better. If you want the Carbon Fiber look, those parts are available.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 03:55 PM   #14
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Exactly ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Wasted your $$ on the PI if you already have the Euro intake. You're not gonna notice any gains with the PI over the Euro.

Heck, a lot of us got the Euro intake to replace our standard 2-part intakes as a less expensive alternative to the PI...

Plus now you're gonna have to hack out the carbon filter in the rear box of the standard intake just to realize the same flow you already had with your Euro

And yes both the upper & lower snorkel AND a cover for your Euro airbox are already available in carbon fiber (I have all installed on my 328ix).

If you insist on going with the PI, no need to buy a standard airbox, you should have no problems finding someone that will trade you their standard airbox for your Euro version - I traded my standard airbox to a member in Europe that ran into the very same problem as you.
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 06:08 AM   #15
speedfan
Major
Vietnam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick4345 View Post
This should answer your question. Good Luck

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...e+installation
Thanks Rick. It doesn't work because my stock intake is a Euro version, can't not be unscrewed in 2 pieces like the US version.
But Thanks anyway.

Tolkino,
I tried to fit the carbon part to my stock Euro box, but no success.
The only way is to buy another US intake box to fit with this US performance Intake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraMarty View Post
That is the EURO box you have on your car. You had a round filter. What is it you are trying to accomplish? The EURO box is just as good or better. If you want the Carbon Fiber look, those parts are available.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
Exactly ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Wasted your $$ on the PI if you already have the Euro intake. You're not gonna notice any gains with the PI over the Euro.

Heck, a lot of us got the Euro intake to replace our standard 2-part intakes as a less expensive alternative to the PI...

Plus now you're gonna have to hack out the carbon filter in the rear box of the standard intake just to realize the same flow you already had with your Euro

And yes both the upper & lower snorkel AND a cover for your Euro airbox are already available in carbon fiber (I have all installed on my 328ix).

If you insist on going with the PI, no need to buy a standard airbox, you should have no problems finding someone that will trade you their standard airbox for your Euro version - I traded my standard airbox to a member in Europe that ran into the very same problem as you.
I didnt know the Euro intake is better than the US.
Now I do :-)
Anyways, I'm gonna return the Performance Intake to the original seller. He agrees to take it back.

Oh well, more $ for other mods then.

Thanks everyone for your time.
Dung
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 10:32 AM   #16
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
There is a Euro version of the Performance intake which fits the Euro airbox. Can you return your US intake for it?
      04-20-2011, 12:01 PM   #17
G-son
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 M5 Competition

Don't know if this is to any help, but this is my euro performance intake.

Appreciate 0
      04-24-2011, 01:50 AM   #18
speedfan
Major
Vietnam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
There is a Euro version of the Performance intake which fits the Euro airbox. Can you return your US intake for it?
I've returned the US performance Intake.
The seller is nice. He takes it back without any problem.

I told him to sell it to the US market, he shouldnt have any problem selling it for $500. (He sold it to me for $450)

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-son View Post
Don't know if this is to any help, but this is my euro performance intake.

They look almost the same, but the plastic box which houses the air filter is different.
but Thanks G-son.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2011, 01:09 PM   #19
ah gon
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: bmw e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfan View Post
I've returned the US performance Intake.
The seller is nice. He takes it back without any problem.

I told him to sell it to the US market, he shouldnt have any problem selling it for $500. (He sold it to me for $450)

They look almost the same, but the plastic box which houses the air filter is different.
but Thanks G-son.
let me know if u gonna get the euros version of performance intake.i would like to get your oem euros intake box.
      04-25-2011, 04:47 AM   #20
speedfan
Major
Vietnam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah gon View Post
let me know if u gonna get the euros version of performance intake.i would like to get your oem euros intake box.
I'm keeping mine. I've dropped in the K&N air filter & I think it's good enough.

more $ for other mods hehhehe.
Thanks ah gon
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 06:38 AM   #21
CobraMarty
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi e90 + e92

G-son,
Can you take a picture of your intake with the lid off? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 01:56 PM   #22
G-son
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraMarty View Post
G-son,
Can you take a picture of your intake with the lid off? Thanks.
What are you looking for?
Appreciate 0