E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Regen intervals vary widely?

04-09-2015, 09:52 PM   #1
Persian Whisperjet
Kind of a Big Deal
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Regen intervals vary widely?

Thanks to BMWhat I have now measured regen intervals ranging from 347 km (mixed driving) to 780 km (highway).

How do those compare to what other people are seeing?
      04-10-2015, 10:25 AM   #2
335dwanted
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d

That is reasonably consistent with what I am seeing since watching/tracking as of Sept of last year.

My average interval per BMWhat is a rather disappointing 270 miles. Most cycles are very close to that average but I don't recall ever seeing one under 250 miles. I have seen a couple around 400 miles or perhaps just a touch over (although I question whether I missed an event along the way) but on the rare occasion when I get a good regen (uninterrupted highway speeds) and lots of highway driving afterward I have verified 400 mile interval.

My typical driving is usually 30% highway and the balance secondary roads, but I generally see very little heavy traffic or bumper to bumper.

Last edited by 335dwanted; 04-10-2015 at 12:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 07:11 PM   #3
dixy2k
Major
Rep
Drives: 335d

When I drive mostly in the city I get them as low as 160 miles apart.
Freeway driving only 460 mi.

I got my ECU flashed and the regen interval was altered too. I guess that's the reason I see them around 160 miles.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2015, 11:02 AM   #4
mefferso
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

I average 400 miles between regens with my 70/30 hwy/city driving.
      04-13-2015, 02:03 AM   #5
BimmerToolRental
Wannabe Mechanic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335D

Is it obvious without an app to monitor when it happens? I just bought my 5th Bimmer, a 11' 335D. Quite a different machine from my last E60 550i. Really like it so far. Torque monster.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 02:12 PM   #6
335dwanted
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d

Regens are not obvious, but a sensitive hand can detect the subtle changes during a regen:
  1. Transmission will hang on to a gear a little longer
  2. Engine is a bit less responseive
  3. Fuel Economy will sink substantially

Without Torque running I don't know if I would detect even half of the regen events. The Fuel economy drop is the least subtle, but you have to be watching the MPG dial and even then you would likely only see it on the highway/constant speed.

Torque Pro app and Bluetooth OBD adapter can be had cheap (maybe $25 total) but you have to go through the nuisance of firing up the App whenever you drive. I also have BMWhat; the advantages are that you can see the distance since last Regen and some other DPF measurements. You can also do some simple coding tricks (my seatbelt does not chime, I have "actual speed" on the digital display, mirrors fold from key fob and some other things thanks to BMWhat). Unfortunately the app is pricy and you need a specific BT OBD adapter that is a bit more expensive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerToolRental View Post
Is it obvious without an app to monitor when it happens? I just bought my 5th Bimmer, a 11' 335D. Quite a different machine from my last E60 550i. Really like it so far. Torque monster.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 08:57 PM   #7
dixy2k
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerToolRental View Post
no
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 09:13 PM   #8
dixy2k
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dwanted View Post
Regens are not obvious, but a sensitive hand can detect the subtle changes during a regen:
  1. Transmission will hang on to a gear a little longer
  2. Engine is a bit less responseive
  3. Fuel Economy will sink substantially

Without Torque running I don't know if I would detect even half of the regen events. The Fuel economy drop is the least subtle, but you have to be watching the MPG dial and even then you would likely only see it on the highway/constant speed.

Torque Pro app and Bluetooth OBD adapter can be had cheap (maybe $25 total) but you have to go through the nuisance of firing up the App whenever you drive. I also have BMWhat; the advantages are that you can see the distance since last Regen and some other DPF measurements. You can also do some simple coding tricks (my seatbelt does not chime, I have "actual speed" on the digital display, mirrors fold from key fob and some other things thanks to BMWhat). Unfortunately the app is pricy and you need a specific BT OBD adapter that is a bit more expensive.

I used my cheap ebay BT adapter with the free BMWhat app to see if it works, and it does.
I need to get the full app so I can replace my battery properly.

If you are constantly driving on flat land using cruise control all the time, then you can notice a drop in MPG, otherwise no. Driving any car is a very dynamic process, your fuel economy will not be constant all the time. It will go up and down and you can get lost if you count that toward your regen warning.

But, it can be a confirmation the regen is taking place.

Try torque and BT as it serves others well and find out what the average mileage between regens is.

Since my car does it a lot of times (not always) around 160 miles, I start the app around that time. It may happen at 180, 220, 260, 300, etc depending what kind of driving I'm doing (city/freeway).

A regen requires constant speed on the freeway. It will no be complete in city driving. A regen needs to be above 1100F in order to incinerate the trapped particles. Anything else is asking for trouble down the road.
Appreciate 0