E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Not bad for a courtesy car!

05-28-2008, 05:39 PM   #23
Steve A
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: too much

Porsche's are soooooo last year and the year before that and the year before that...........
      05-28-2008, 05:41 PM   #24
Porscha!
Should be on www.retrorides.com
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche 944

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilR View Post
Helen,

Not surprised that the the Cayman S IYO is a better car than the 911 Carerra S4 (brakes aside) as many of the car pundits seem to like the Cayman better than the 911 in terms of value for money.

I think that the tuned 335D has realy spoilt you and you need to consider getting the Cyman S tuned up to put a bigger smile back on your face!!!!

Very interesting that you were given a 911 S4 as a "courtesy car". I would imagine that BMW would loan you a 1 Series (subject to a charge) instead of a 645i??? Maybe they see you as a potential 911 girl?

PhilR

It's a Carrera 4S, not an S4, sorry to be so pedantic but those of you who went to UK5 know how I get about Porsche not being quite "right"

Now thats over and done with

Porsche lend out all types of cars, I always used my local OPC for most things and no matter what car you have you are not treated any different to anyone else, whether it be an early 911, a Boxster, a Cayenne, a Cayman, a 944 or a £140K 911 (997) GT2, for which goes for the loan car you get as well, so long as you have your insurance faxed over for it they don't care

I got my best loan car with the "cheapest" Porsche I owned and the "worse" loan car with the most expensive Porsche I owned! It's just pot luck.

Totally off topic and useless fact I was actually the youngest person my OPC had sold a car to directly

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 05:45 PM   #25
Gibbo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Golf Ed35

Also this explains why a Porsche oil service is £350 a pop as you are paying the depn on the 997 you are driving for the day.
      05-28-2008, 05:52 PM   #26
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Willhollin - n'owt you can say about the Renault really (sure you could).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
In that, if you leave at 6.00 you should be with us by 8.00 latest.
Hell, that would mean breaking the speed limit. Make it 1 hour 59 mins then

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porscha! View Post
I hate being a Northerner when the Goodwood events are on
I agree, but the ONLY time eh Porscha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilR View Post
Helen,

Not surprised that the the Cayman S IYO is a better car than the 911 Carerra S4 (brakes aside) as many of the car pundits seem to like the Cayman better than the 911 in terms of value for money.

I think that the tuned 335D has realy spoilt you and you need to consider getting the Cyman S tuned up to put a bigger smile back on your face!!!!

Very interesting that you were given a 911 S4 as a "courtesy car". I would imagine that BMW would loan you a 1 Series (subject to a charge) instead of a 645i??? Maybe they see you as a potential 911 girl?

PhilR
Hi Phil, it had crossed my mind about tuning the Cayman - plenty guys out there do it, hmmmm. I'm sure they would love to sell a 911 but the Cayman does handle oh sooo well.

You're right about BMW - I've had a 118d before today, n'owt wrong with those but hardly the same as a 335d.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve A View Post
Porsche's are soooooo last year and the year before that and the year before that...........
And next year and the year after eh Steve. You'll set Calvin off on the banter.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 05:57 PM   #27
Steve A
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
And next year and the year after eh Steve. You'll set Calvin off on the banter.
thats where i was going
      05-28-2008, 06:14 PM   #28
PhilR
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 330d M Sport Auto

Garage List
[QUOTE=Porscha!;2740143]It's a Carrera 4S, not an S4, sorry to be so pedantic but those of you who went to UK5 know how I get about Porsche not being quite "right"

Porsche - I've had few too many of Belgium's finest (company exes I might add) so for the record the S4 was meant to be a 4S. I knew what I meat anyway. lol

PS Cannot type and cannot spell so I am fcuked really! But know my Audi's from my Porsce's

PhliR
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2008, 02:28 AM   #29
Steve A
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Porsche did make an s4 though, the 928 s4 it was a mega car
      05-29-2008, 03:07 AM   #30
Cafe.Racer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d Touring

Eeeeeeeeeeeeee by gum, it's grrrim up t'North.

Don't Revo Technik do software for the Cayman?
      05-29-2008, 12:20 PM   #31
squeezebm
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi

Surely Helen your bum cant still look big in that one thanks for the info gibbo,i think that has just helped my current thought process
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2008, 12:23 PM   #32
DervFan
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW (E91) 325d M Sport Touring

Garage List
Blimey that's a car and a half My last loaner was a Mini D
      05-29-2008, 12:40 PM   #33
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Cheers Calvin and no ones posterior does not look big in this one although not sure if me arse would fit in the 'rear seats' ahem

DervFan, it is rather nice to drive I must say, and the latest update is that I will have it tomorrow as well. Dealer has located resonance and is in the process of fixing the same. It's coming from around the PCM unit apparently. They've also noticed that the suspension struts need adjusting. I asked if this was usual and apparently they are designed to be adjusted, it just depends how hard the car has been driven, especially around corners. I kept quiet at this point. I have been 'chucking' it about TBH. That's what it's built for isn't it .
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2008, 12:42 PM   #34
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Helen good write up, was it a ''courtesy'' car though or lent for a test drive. DO they really give out cars like this when ladies Hymens are getting a service?

Also really not a fan of 911 verts.... no way.. a normal coupe is the bollox though.

Do you think it does not feel as tight as yours just because its hoodless ?

thanks

Carlos
      05-29-2008, 12:44 PM   #35
DervFan
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW (E91) 325d M Sport Touring

Garage List
Quote:
I have been 'chucking' it about TBH. That's what it's built for isn't it .
Good for you Helen. Glad you're having some fun, thats what it's all about
Hope you take them up on their word and give back the 997 Covertible empty and filthy
      05-29-2008, 01:01 PM   #36
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
Helen good write up, was it a ''courtesy'' car though or lent for a test drive. DO they really give out cars like this when ladies Hymens are getting a service?

Do you think it does not feel as tight as yours just because its hoodless ?

thanks

Carlos
Carlos yes it is a courtesy car to me, think it's normally a demo tbh. BTW, you have been reading too much fiction mate (fiction meaning not factual) and besides haven't yet found a 'man' that can keep up or last the distance!!

Yes I do believe because it's a cabriolet, the rigidity is compromised. Next time, may ask if they've got a coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DervFan View Post
Good for you Helen. Glad you're having some fun, thats what it's all about
Hope you take them up on their word and give back the 997 Covertible empty and filthy
Oh yes Simon, car is what I would class as dirty (especially being black) and I am going to have put some petrol in tomorrow as I have used the full tank they gave me. Hey ho.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2008, 02:15 PM   #37
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Quote:
I am going to have put some petrol in tomorrow as I have used the full tank they gave me. Hey ho.

Helen, quite impressive it had fuel in! The last loaner that BMW gave me had 11 miles worth if fuel left in it! totally disgusted that the first thing I had to do was drive through the traffic to a petrol station before I jumped on the m'way!

Enjoy that motor tho! It looks awesome and I am NOT jealous at all no NOT at all, NOT one little bit

ha ha! the thing is awesome - you gotta get some roof down cruising in tomorrow if the sun pops out for a few mins
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2008, 02:43 PM   #38
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Hi Paul, how you doin' ok. I couldn't agree more about the full tank of fuel. Any previous loan car I've had was either low on fuel as you said or the 'deal' was return it with the same amount of fuel you started with (Volvo typically).

Actually, the way the roof folds down and folds back up is pretty impressive. If you haven't allowed the roof to fully open or close via the switch, the info. area of the rev. counter tells you. Does the BMW vert do the same? Think it's pretty cool the way the little rear side windows come back up etc.

I've just finished 'playing' on the Porsche website and priced up the car based on the spec. I know it has.....came to £83,612 Think I'll just look at the photos and live on memories when I return the car!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2008, 02:47 PM   #39
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Quote:
Hi Paul, how you doin' ok. I couldn't agree more about the full tank of fuel. Any previous loan car I've had was either low on fuel as you said or the 'deal' was return it with the same amount of fuel you started with (Volvo typically).

Actually, the way the roof folds down and folds back up is pretty impressive. If you haven't allowed the roof to fully open or close via the switch, the info. area of the rev. counter tells you. Does the BMW vert do the same? Think it's pretty cool the way the little rear side windows come back up etc.

I've just finished 'playing' on the Porsche website and priced up the car based on the spec. I know it has.....came to £83,612 Think I'll just look at the photos and live on memories when I return the car!
Doing great thanks Helen. 83k!! wow, thats more than two of my verts!! (It is twice the car though)

The E93 is very clever also with the windows rolling up and down etc. It also has the indicator in the dash if it is not fully up or down. A roof type symbol comes on and that infamois BMW 'bing' noise (you know, the one you get with the handbrake, seatbelt, fuel, roof, boot, door, etc....). The one that says 'hey your a crap driver, now sort yourself out!!

As for memories, they may lend it to you again, or something even better! Here's hopin eh!

Last edited by M3-FAST; 05-29-2008 at 05:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2008, 03:05 PM   #40
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Thought I'd take a picture of the 'heart of the beast' as I can't actually see the engine in mine unless you scramble underneath the car!

Attachment 158266

Last edited by beemerbird; 07-09-2008 at 04:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2008, 03:09 PM   #41
Porscha!
Should be on www.retrorides.com
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche 944

Garage List
Didn't realise the new 911 engines looked like that! Nothing like the old ones, have been loaned a new one fomr Porsche but never bothered to look!!

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2008, 03:47 PM   #42
jjbirch
Banned
Rep
Drives: E60 530D M SPORT

Garage List
something like my new ford transit that has 6 gears now as well
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2008, 03:53 PM   #43
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Quote:
you have been reading too much fiction mate (fiction meaning not factual)

Are you taking the piss
      05-29-2008, 04:13 PM   #44
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
Are you taking the piss
Of course I am. Fiction is easy. Actions speak louder than words, or not as the case may be.
Appreciate 0