E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Video + PC Gaming / Computing > GT:5 out in 2/2/10? [Megathread]

12-10-2010, 03:00 AM   #309
Mega Man
エアーマンが倒せない
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Am I the only one with complaints about this game?

I haven't played Gran Turismo for a long time, this is my first time back into it for a while. For some reason, I remember more types of races you could enter. This one feels so rigid by what kind of car you're driving. Granted, I haven't played it very long, but I'm having more fun buying used cars than new ones, for example, I found a Nismo 400R in used cars, and a few other "raced out," sponsered cars in the used car area.

The collector's edition downloads gives you these super cars that are so easy to win with. The game looks great, it controls fine, even with a controller (though I did make my L2/R2 buttons my accel and brake), and my left analog for steering, my right analog for looking left/right, and triangle to shift up, x to shift down (Forza had a great control scheme, so I copied it for this game).

I'm sure the wheel, and the pedals and shifter make this game even better; but is it just a gimmick? Do you enjoy the game because of the game, or how much better is it because of the wheel and pedals? How long until the novelty wears off?

I just feel limited in this game; the last GT game I remember playing, specific dealerships had special races by type too, for example, Honda had the Type-R race, where any Type-R car (Civic, Accord, Integra, NSX) could enter. This one has different levels, and each level has (12 or 15, I don't remember) types of races (each having limitations).

I just feel stuck!
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 03:19 AM   #310
.:bHd:.
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mega Man View Post
Am I the only one with complaints about this game?

I haven't played Gran Turismo for a long time, this is my first time back into it for a while. For some reason, I remember more types of races you could enter. This one feels so rigid by what kind of car you're driving. Granted, I haven't played it very long, but I'm having more fun buying used cars than new ones, for example, I found a Nismo 400R in used cars, and a few other "raced out," sponsered cars in the used car area.

The collector's edition downloads gives you these super cars that are so easy to win with. The game looks great, it controls fine, even with a controller (though I did make my L2/R2 buttons my accel and brake), and my left analog for steering, my right analog for looking left/right, and triangle to shift up, x to shift down (Forza had a great control scheme, so I copied it for this game).

I'm sure the wheel, and the pedals and shifter make this game even better; but is it just a gimmick? Do you enjoy the game because of the game, or how much better is it because of the wheel and pedals? How long until the novelty wears off?

I just feel limited in this game; the last GT game I remember playing, specific dealerships had special races by type too, for example, Honda had the Type-R race, where any Type-R car (Civic, Accord, Integra, NSX) could enter. This one has different levels, and each level has (12 or 15, I don't remember) types of races (each having limitations).

I just feel stuck!
youre not alone. A lot of GT fans are disappointed with this game.

Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 07:59 AM   #311
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
I dunno, after played for a few days....its like memory lane back to GT4 (besides the upgraded graphics). The beginners race are like exact copies from GT4. From what I've got, I don't feel the game should be delayed for so many months, if not, a year or two...it just doesn't feel the wait is worth it...
      12-10-2010, 08:56 AM   #312
Dre01SS
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
it just doesn't feel the wait is worth it...
I've been too busy to play it too often but I have enjoyed it as much as the other ones - but I do agree with you on that. I haven't come across anything that struck me as "WOW So that's what took them so long"

And I find it sad that less than a month after the release there's been 2-3 patches... After how many years of development???
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 09:43 AM   #313
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

I still love it, someone has spent ages making this game. Still, The AI in some cases is horrible, this is highlighted in the Top Gear Challenge with it's pitifully slow cars. If you overtake a car and are passing it (albeit slowly), you have a PIT maneuver performed on you 70% of the time!

It just does not encourage you to play fairly. I seem to just use an 850HP GT-R or the 500 HP NSX-R to avoid disappointment and anger.

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Murray View Post
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 11:34 AM   #314
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
I just started to play about 2-3 days ago...I felt they should have done more work in revamping and creating new races and challenges...instead of graphic....
A-spec races was like back to the future to GT4...Sunday Club Race, FF Challenge, Light weight...etc etc.....wait...that's exactly what we raced many years ago in GT4....i have to do that all over again???

And I wish they can just import all the cars we earned in GT5P.....some of us spend so much time in get the Ferrari F2007. They pushed GT5P years ago to feed the wait....then now its worthless...meh~
      12-10-2010, 12:29 PM   #315
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep
Drives: Saturn Redline

it's not THAT bad, but I'm not impressed for what, 6 years in the making? It's GT4 with some slight improvements.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 02:35 PM   #316
1trip5
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Emme Tres

Garage List
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
I just started to play about 2-3 days ago...I felt they should have done more work in revamping and creating new races and challenges...instead of graphic....
A-spec races was like back to the future to GT4...Sunday Club Race, FF Challenge, Light weight...etc etc.....wait...that's exactly what we raced many years ago in GT4....i have to do that all over again???

And I wish they can just import all the cars we earned in GT5P.....some of us spend so much time in get the Ferrari F2007. They pushed GT5P years ago to feed the wait....then now its worthless...meh~
valid points. but GT5 is awesome i'm very pleased with gameplay thus far. i think they did a great job bridging the gap between beginner and expert players. Beginners feel satisfied completing races and getting bronze medals to move forward. Expert races really have something to strive for with obtaining golds in licenses and special events.
      12-11-2010, 12:01 AM   #317
Mega Man
エアーマンが倒せない
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Ah! Here's another thing I don't like (maybe it's just me), but the cockpit view is missing from a lot of my favorite cars! So many years of development, and no cockpit view in so many cars!

I think Forza's cars are more realistically depicted; the game seems to give favor to Japanese cars in all traits (acceleration, braking, cornering, etc.). I had a '98 ITR way back when, and I don't remember it being able to keep up with some of the BMWs that I've been playing with; but in this game, it does, and even passes them.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 02:49 AM   #318
kyleb350
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mega Man View Post
I had a '98 ITR way back when, and I don't remember it being able to keep up with some of the BMWs that I've been playing with; but in this game, it does, and even passes them.
FWIW, driving in the game allows you to drive closer to or over the limit in these cars.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 12:49 PM   #319
ZJP
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535xi / B6 S4

Some things that GT5 failed miserably at.

-Needing to be at certain levels to purchase a car. I think this is retarded, if you have the credits to afford the car then why not be able to purchase it?

-Unable to change wheels on 'standard cars'. In GT4, you were able to modify the wheels and anything else regardless of the make/model of the car.

-No cockpit view on certain cars. So let me get this straight, my '65 Shelby GT350R doesn't get cockpit view but a normal Honda Integra DC5 does? Hmmm, okay.

-No races catered specifically to certain categories. Once again, in GT4 you were able to enter races such as country of origin, manufacturer, power levels, etc. This should have been in GT5.

I'm disappointed with this game big time. Polyphony you suck at life.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 01:00 PM   #320
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Oh btw...i think the intro is very long...not bad...but i like GT5P intro than this....at first...i thought i was in a bad industrial movie....but at the end...its the making of GTR....polyphony is like the fanboy of nissan GTR and in japanese cars in general....

for the 6 years or so they've got...they could've done a lot better....
      12-11-2010, 01:03 PM   #321
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
This game will be remembered as the one "that keeps delaying" rather than "opened a new dimension of online racing experience"...

that being said....I'll be stuck with this game for the next year or so...
      12-11-2010, 02:25 PM   #322
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJP View Post

-No cockpit view on certain cars. So let me get this straight, my '65 Shelby GT350R doesn't get cockpit view but a normal Honda Integra DC5 does? Hmmm, okay.
It is an Integra Type-R. I dont know about you but when you go outside the US, most gamers (both in the biggest market for the game, Europe and the country it is made in, Japan) would want to have the Type-R as a premium car instead of a 40 year old antique that is cool to drive around for a few minutes till you get bored. I would have agreed if you wanted to make a case for the Mustang instead of the VW Bus or the Schwimmwagen.

I think it was a bit sad that they did not have the DC2 as premium.

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 05:10 PM   #323
Mega Man
エアーマンが倒せない
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Oh btw...i think the intro is very long...not bad...but i like GT5P intro than this....at first...i thought i was in a bad industrial movie....but at the end...its the making of GTR....polyphony is like the fanboy of nissan GTR and in japanese cars in general....
The intro is painstakingly long! I hate it. I watched it the first time I fired it up because I was happy to have GT5 after so long. Then this boring piano song is playing, and factory is being shown. Even when they're showing some car races with the famed Moon over the Castle song (which has been in every GT game!), it's still boring. My favorite intro thus far was GT2 (I think).

Polyphony is the fanboy of the Nissan Skyline series (it's way overpowered in this game, and way exaggerated to what it does in real life). Japanese cars in general in this game are exaggerated as to what they can do. It's been like this since the beginning of this series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2fire View Post
It is an Integra Type-R. I dont know about you but when you go outside the US, most gamers (both in the biggest market for the game, Europe and the country it is made in, Japan) would want to have the Type-R as a premium car instead of a 40 year old antique that is cool to drive around for a few minutes till you get bored. I would have agreed if you wanted to make a case for the Mustang instead of the VW Bus or the Schwimmwagen.

I think it was a bit sad that they did not have the DC2 as premium.
I had the DC2 ITR way back when, and I was looking forward to seeing the cockpit view of this car and taking a virtual tour down memory lane. But no, only certain cars, and I agree with the previous post, that some of the antique cars don't have cockpit views is a bit...disappointing. FWIW, the Civic Type-R has a cockpit view...
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 06:41 PM   #324
kyleb350
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I agree with the abudance of Japanese cars, but does anyone else find it weird that like 90% of the Skylines, Evos, NSX's, etc. have 276hp?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 07:05 PM   #325
Sylon
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, SG/CR, 6MT, M-Sport

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.20]
Quote:

for the 6 years or so they've got...they could've done a lot better....
PD helped design and build the GT-R, of course they are going to have a stiffy for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleb350 View Post
I agree with the abudance of Japanese cars, but does anyone else find it weird that like 90% of the Skylines, Evos, NSX's, etc. have 276hp?

It was a law in Japan for a while that limited cars to only be 276hp. I forget why but all "performance" cars were only 276hp stock, but I think thats why they were so easy to mod too to help make up for it in the consumer market.

2011 BMW 135i | Space Gray | ///M-Sport | BMW CCA #450291
Facebook / Instagram / YouTube / Twitter
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2010, 01:57 PM   #326
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylon View Post
It was a law in Japan for a while that limited cars to only be 276hp. I forget why but all "performance" cars were only 276hp stock, but I think thats why they were so easy to mod too to help make up for it in the consumer market.
+1

Most like the R-34, 3000GT and NSX-R (NA1/2) were at 300+ HP even stock. Went on till 2005 when the then new Honda Legend publicly broke with outdated tradition with a (massive ) 300HP.

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2010, 03:11 PM   #327
kyleb350
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Was it ever confirmed if that Redbull concept F1 car was in this game?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2010, 03:29 PM   #328
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep
Drives: Saturn Redline

Quote:
confirmed, it's unlocked at level 30 I do believe
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2010, 10:19 PM   #329
Sylon
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, SG/CR, 6MT, M-Sport

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.20]
Quote:

Yeah its called the X1 Prototype.

2011 BMW 135i | Space Gray | ///M-Sport | BMW CCA #450291
Facebook / Instagram / YouTube / Twitter
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 09:35 AM   #330
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

It's disappointing just because of the wait and lineage.

If it wasn't for those factors, we'd all be super-impressed. Instead, I'm super-underwhelmed. I still like the game, and it's still by far the best racing simulator out there IMO, but I am disappoint.
Appreciate 0