E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > BMW coding tool 2.50 on x64 Daten update

07-13-2015, 12:08 PM   #1
g00b86
Private
Rep
Drives: E90

BMW coding tool 2.50 on x64 Daten update

This is a cross post I had made a few days ago on another bmw coding forum.

This might have been covered somewhere briefly but I have spent the better part of a day searching all my coding related forum sections without a definitive answer:

I paid/downloaded the INPA/NCS Expert/EDIBAS files from an online source (fiverr). The supplied instructions (same ones cut and pasted on almost every forum) only reference moving these ^ three files to C:\ before setting up your windows environment. The information makes NO reference on what to do with WinKFP. (This also includes the registry error with comdlg32.ocx or MSCOMCTL.OCX which I resolved quickly).

Now when following the setup information for BMW Coding Tool 2.50 it asked for the file paths to C:\NCSExper , C:\EDIBAS, and C:\EC-Apps\NFS

I do not have anything for WinKFP so therefore I have no C:\EC-Apps\NFS.

This is an issue because I am attempting to update my Daten files, and before using the software to update the files it says there is an error for the above mentioned file, because obviously the file path does not exist. Does this make any sense to anyone?

I've spent about a week collectively trying to get all my files in order, and I would really like to use this tool to generate the .MAN files etc for me.

The issue seems to stem from the fact that the BMW Coding Tool requires me to direct the program to a file path for WInKFP.

The supplier of my software makes no mention of installing WinKFP, only INPA, NCS, and EDIBAS.

Here is the question - is BMW Coding tools dependent on using BMW Standard Tools 2.12? I see many videos of people running Windows 7/8 showing them setup the files for daten updates, and it shows clearly they have the EC-Apps\NFS folders visible. How are people installing this on x64 platforms? VM running XP?

I was looking for the merits of using BMW Coding tools, but it seems like right now I have to update the Daten and code the old fashioned way.

Anyone's input would be a HUGE help.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 07:17 AM   #2
wildcatcrazy
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Garage List
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by g00b86
This is a cross post I had made a few days ago on another bmw coding forum.

This might have been covered somewhere briefly but I have spent the better part of a day searching all my coding related forum sections without a definitive answer:

I paid/downloaded the INPA/NCS Expert/EDIBAS files from an online source (fiverr). The supplied instructions (same ones cut and pasted on almost every forum) only reference moving these ^ three files to C:\ before setting up your windows environment. The information makes NO reference on what to do with WinKFP. (This also includes the registry error with comdlg32.ocx or MSCOMCTL.OCX which I resolved quickly).

Now when following the setup information for BMW Coding Tool 2.50 it asked for the file paths to C:\NCSExper , C:\EDIBAS, and C:\EC-Apps\NFS

I do not have anything for WinKFP so therefore I have no C:\EC-Apps\NFS.

This is an issue because I am attempting to update my Daten files, and before using the software to update the files it says there is an error for the above mentioned file, because obviously the file path does not exist. Does this make any sense to anyone?

I've spent about a week collectively trying to get all my files in order, and I would really like to use this tool to generate the .MAN files etc for me.

The issue seems to stem from the fact that the BMW Coding Tool requires me to direct the program to a file path for WInKFP.

The supplier of my software makes no mention of installing WinKFP, only INPA, NCS, and EDIBAS.

Here is the question - is BMW Coding tools dependent on using BMW Standard Tools 2.12? I see many videos of people running Windows 7/8 showing them setup the files for daten updates, and it shows clearly they have the EC-Apps\NFS folders visible. How are people installing this on x64 platforms? VM running XP?

I was looking for the merits of using BMW Coding tools, but it seems like right now I have to update the Daten and code the old fashioned way.

Anyone's input would be a HUGE help.
WinKFP is only used for flashing modules. You can use the coding tool after you update NCS. So, there's no need to update WinKFP.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 11:11 AM   #3
g00b86
Private
Rep

So question then, using BMW Coding Tool 2.50, how would I go about updating the Daten files with this software?

I've only been using it in a limited capacity, but it will not run without first giving it a path to the WInkfp file. My understanding from various readings is that it still burries someof the daten files in this folder.

Otherwise it seems my only option is to slug it out manually (not terribly difficult) and do the old cut/paste method for updating the date to 53.X (not sure what version I am using at the moment).
Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 12:28 AM   #4
wildcatcrazy
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
So question then, using BMW Coding Tool 2.50, how would I go about updating the Daten files with this software?

I've only been using it in a limited capacity, but it will not run without first giving it a path to the WInkfp file. My understanding from various readings is that it still burries someof the daten files in this folder.

Otherwise it seems my only option is to slug it out manually (not terribly difficult) and do the old cut/paste method for updating the date to 53.X (not sure what version I am using at the moment).
Thanks again.
Are you trying to update the Daten file or create the MAN file?

To actually update the Daten file, use NCS Dummy. To create your MAN file, use the Coding Tool after you update NCS folder. No need to do anything with WinKFP/NFS if all you're going to do is coding and not flashing.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 09:35 PM   #5
g00b86
Private
Rep

I am trying to use it to update the Daten files. I will give that a try tomorrow and report back. This sounds like it might be the answer. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 11:17 AM   #6
g00b86
Private
Rep

I feel like a total newb here..

I've read a few very complete NCS Dummy guides and none seem to mention much about using the software to update DATEN files, just how to point to them when establishing the setup.

Maybe I need to clarify. The software I downloaded (paid for) came with V50.2 and I was able to purchase the V53.53 (aug 2014) files. I think after reading so many posts I may have inaccurately explained that I am not creating a Daten/.MAN file for coding jsut yet. I am still trying to baseline my software to the newest revision.

Thanks all for the input.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 11:45 AM   #7
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LMB 335is

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
Ok, here's a step by step to use the coding tool to update your daten. First, there is much newer daten available and it's free if you ask.

Open the coding tool, on the right half of the screen you'll see five buttons on the top. You're only need to be concerned with SP daten source, update SP daten, and update WinFKP. Click on Sp daten source, it will open up a folder menu and you need to navigate to C:\E89 folder click on that. You just picked your daten source. Now click on the update SP daten button, let it run til it finishes. Next click on update WinKFP button and let it run til it finishes. WinKFP updates take a while and it may even look like the program froze but don't worry, there's some huge files in there and it takes some time.

Is that what you were looking for?
      07-21-2015, 12:02 PM   #8
g00b86
Private
Rep

LMB,

I appreciate the Step by step. As per my original post, when I click update SP-daten, because I do not have anything for WinKFP so therefore I have no C:\EC-Apps\NFS.

Therefore, after the prompt and selecting "NO" to backup the existing files, I get the following error:
C:EC-APPS\NFS\SGDAT not found.

The reason for this is that as per the installation instructions provided by the supplier (the standard Fiverr supplier that a large number of people have used), when running x64 bit Windows 7, the software instructions have ZERO mention of WinKFP.

I emailed him regarding this exact issue and his reply was to follow his instructions for x64 systems, and skip step 5 in the install guide (which I have done).

I seems like all I did was pay for a mess. No one else seems to be running into this issue, and obviously I can't install the x32 WinKFP software.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 11:09 PM   #9
wildcatcrazy
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
LMB,

I appreciate the Step by step. As per my original post, when I click update SP-daten, because I do not have anything for WinKFP so therefore I have no C:\EC-Apps\NFS.

Therefore, after the prompt and selecting "NO" to backup the existing files, I get the following error:
C:EC-APPS\NFS\SGDAT not found.

The reason for this is that as per the installation instructions provided by the supplier (the standard Fiverr supplier that a large number of people have used), when running x64 bit Windows 7, the software instructions have ZERO mention of WinKFP.

I emailed him regarding this exact issue and his reply was to follow his instructions for x64 systems, and skip step 5 in the install guide (which I have done).

I seems like all I did was pay for a mess. No one else seems to be running into this issue, and obviously I can't install the x32 WinKFP software.
Pm sent, hopefully to get you in the right direction.
Appreciate 0