E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Looking for Atlantic Canadian members

01-16-2007, 11:53 AM   #23
ElCapitan
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E91 328xi & 2008 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkshaw
FYI to the Halifax guys...you'll be happy to know that I had no troubles getting home in the snow yesterday. My first real venture out into the slippery stuff with the e90 and snow tires and didn't even come close to getting stuck or sliding out anywhere. Left work around 6pm, so the roads were super greasy, but traffic wasn't bad. So, I'm happy to give a positive review for the e90 in snowy conditions.

El Capitain, I'm sure your xiT will rip through the sh** no problem.
I am glad your drive was safe. I did not have to go anywhere, I stayed home.

I know that the 328xiT (with Xdrive) will be good in the snow just like my 330xi (without Xdrive) is A blast in the snow. I already my winter rims/winter tire for next winter. Same than on the 330 except runflat, the Dunlop Winter Sport M3. Very good tires. There are so good that I wish they did not plow and saltg the roads.

Cheers

2008 E90 335i | Silver Grey | Terra | Piano Black | ZSP | ZKO | ZAT | ZKI | ZPL | ZKL |
2007 E91 328xi | Black Sapphire | Terra | ALuminium | ZKO | ZKI | ZPL
Past Cars: 2004 ///M3, 2002 E46 330xi, 2003 GTI 1.8T, 1996 Neon
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2007, 12:13 PM   #24
Hawkshaw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive28i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCapitan
I am glad your drive was safe. I did not have to go anywhere, I stayed home.

I know that the 328xiT (with Xdrive) will be good in the snow just like my 330xi (without Xdrive) is A blast in the snow. I already my winter rims/winter tire for next winter. Same than on the 330 except runflat, the Dunlop Winter Sport M3. Very good tires. There are so good that I wish they did not plow and saltg the roads.

Cheers
Those are the exact tires I have on my 330 right now, the Dunlop Winter Sport M3's. I've got them on 17" ASA JH3 rims from TireTrends.com. I'm having some deja vu, did we already have this conversation?
      01-16-2007, 12:59 PM   #25
AC53
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW E36 M3 / Volvo S60 2.5TAWD

Good to hear, although things were good some places and slippery others. I'm interested to see how the DTC handles hills, I really do prefer LSD so that you're not being slowed down too much by the vehicle. My Volvo S60 AWD really doesn't care what's out there. I'm running Toyo GO-2 Winters all around and everything is good and stable unless I decide to play.

ElCapitain, as you say, I'm sure you'll enjoy the 328xiT. Just spoke with a friend of mine yesterday afternoon who just took delivery last month(?) on a 328xiT for his wife and a E92 328xi for himself. He rationalized it because of his steep driveway outside the city. Anyway, he got noting but praise for both. He's just gone from an E36 M3 and said he gave up less than he was anticipating. Not quite the power, and not the vehicle dynamics but for 90% of his driving he has made gains with virtually no trade-off. This from a fellow who used to race open-wheel cars and is considered one of the better instructors at the BMW Advanced Driving School.

I've pretty much decided to run with the E92 328 as I've just bought a replacement engine for my E36 M3 and should have it shipped down from Toronto next week. Now the next dilemma, E92 328i or xi? Oh well, there are worse problems to have.

Regards, Alan

PS - Did you guys see the announcement last week, from our locally owner Formula BMW team - Atlantic Racing Team - who have joined with American Spirit Racing to form Team KMA Racing, has just obtained a new partner/sponsor for their new Indy Pro Series car, Sammy Hagar, the "Red Rocker" from Van Halen. They're running 3 FBMW cars plus the new Indy Pro Series car for 07.
http://www.armsinc.ca/phpbb2/viewtop...ghlight=#42045

They gave me a copy of the press release just after it was announced in Indianapolis so that I could announce it to this months Atlantic Sports Car Club meeting last week.
Sponsors: Amsoil, Bimmerworld When only the best will do!
07 Lincoln MKZ AWD - 263 HP & 249 ft/lbs TQ
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2007, 02:27 PM   #26
Hawkshaw
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Coles
Good to hear, although things were good some places and slippery others. I'm interested to see how the DTC handles hills, I really do prefer LSD so that you're not being slowed down too much by the vehicle. My Volvo S60 AWD really doesn't care what's out there. I'm running Toyo GO-2 Winters all around and everything is good and stable unless I decide to play.

ElCapitain, as you say, I'm sure you'll enjoy the 328xiT. Just spoke with a friend of mine yesterday afternoon who just took delivery last month(?) on a 328xiT for his wife and a E92 328xi for himself. He rationalized it because of his steep driveway outside the city. Anyway, he got noting but praise for both. He's just gone from an E36 M3 and said he gave up less than he was anticipating. Not quite the power, and not the vehicle dynamics but for 90% of his driving he has made gains with virtually no trade-off. This from a fellow who used to race open-wheel cars and is considered one of the better instructors at the BMW Advanced Driving School.

I've pretty much decided to run with the E92 328 as I've just bought a replacement engine for my E36 M3 and should have it shipped down from Toronto next week. Now the next dilemma, E92 328i or xi? Oh well, there are worse problems to have.

Regards, Alan

PS - Did you guys see the announcement last week, from our locally owner Formula BMW team - Atlantic Racing Team - who have joined with American Spirit Racing to form Team KMA Racing, has just obtained a new partner/sponsor for their new Indy Pro Series car, Sammy Hagar, the "Red Rocker" from Van Halen. They're running 3 FBMW cars plus the new Indy Pro Series car for 07.
http://www.armsinc.ca/phpbb2/viewtop...ghlight=#42045

They gave me a copy of the press release just after it was announced in Indianapolis so that I could announce it to this months Atlantic Sports Car Club meeting last week.
As always, thanks for the great info Alan! I had the DTC on for my ride home, and like I said, no troubles. I guess I would have had to have turned it off in order to make a comparison, but to be honest, the thought never crossed my mind!

I debated i vs xi as well, and obviously went with i. Our other car is an all wheel drive Honda CR-V, so if the weather's really bad we either car pool with that, or stay home. I figured I would never NEED to go out in bad weather with my e90. I guess I couldn't justify the cost of the xi based on need or want.

Good luck deciding, and congrats on firming up the 328 decision.
      01-21-2007, 09:46 PM   #27
ElCapitan
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkshaw View Post
As always, thanks for the great info Alan! I had the DTC on for my ride home, and like I said, no troubles. I guess I would have had to have turned it off in order to make a comparison, but to be honest, the thought never crossed my mind!

I debated i vs xi as well, and obviously went with i. Our other car is an all wheel drive Honda CR-V, so if the weather's really bad we either car pool with that, or stay home. I figured I would never NEED to go out in bad weather with my e90. I guess I couldn't justify the cost of the xi based on need or want.

Good luck deciding, and congrats on firming up the 328 decision.
Hey I hear you about the "i" vs "xi" dilema. That is why I have 330xi (and soon 328xiT) for bad weather and family transport and the M3 (like an "i" on steroid) for the nice summer days. I figure I can't go wrong by having both.

OTH, if I would have only one BMW and was driving it all year long, I would probably have only "xi". After all it feels just like the "i" except in slippery conditions. The only drawbck of "xi" is extra weight and suspension modability options/costs with aftermarket.

2008 E90 335i | Silver Grey | Terra | Piano Black | ZSP | ZKO | ZAT | ZKI | ZPL | ZKL |
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2007, 01:34 PM   #28
Hawkshaw
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Yeah, the wife loves her cute ute, so I don't ever have to worry about an all wheel drive sedan. As you said though, if it were our only vehicle, I would have gone xi.
      01-22-2007, 02:36 PM   #29
ElCapitan
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkshaw View Post
Yeah, the wife loves her cute ute, so I don't ever have to worry about an all wheel drive sedan. As you said though, if it were our only vehicle, I would have gone xi.
Ah and congrats on your exam.

Appreciate 0
      01-23-2007, 08:55 AM   #30
Hawkshaw
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote: