E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > E90 335i with Swift Spec-R springs and OEM sport struts

03-18-2014, 03:27 PM   #23
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by richragus View Post
Yes, new bumpstops that were included with the whole setup package.

So I was supposed to get my new Dinan Springs installed today, and more bad news...the car was riding so friggin low, that the bumpstops that are 3 months old are all cracked, and the struts are destroyed as well....

This thing was such a debacle. I should have known that when I originally installed the swift springs, and was told that the reason the rear was riding so low was because the two piece of luggage in the trunk were "weighing the car down", that I had a problem.

Folks, if you have a non-sport OEM suspension, and are looking to change us your springs, do yourself a favor and DO NOT goo with Swift. I can't speak for sport OEM suspension, but this has been a disaster!!! I'm taking pictures either on Thursday or Friday when I pick my car back up again, and will show the damage that's been done. This bone-headed move to the Swift Springs, is going to end up costing me at least an additional $600 for the parts, (re)installation, and alignment.

Don't go on the cheap and go with Swift, you'll regret it, especially since there are so many other proven options on the market.

I don't know if a shim would help, as it destroyed the inner workings of my suspension...just a thought.
What a ridiculous statement to make. Actually, no; the bone-headed move here was going with lowering springs WITHOUT getting a matching setting of shocks/struts to support them. The stock dampers are underdamped enough already, you dumping the car even more surely didn't help things at all...I'm sure the springs are fine with a properly matched set of dampers. How can you seriously be surprised by the outcome here. Is this your first time modding a car or something?
Appreciate 2
whyzee1251678.50
6ixSpd6014.50
      03-18-2014, 05:53 PM   #24
pileofstack
Blast Master
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

In your defense, Swift does advertise: "The increase in spring rate is based on the upper limits of the vehicles factory shock valving."

Key phrase there, though...

Regardless of how they say the springs might work, by increasing the spring rates you're still demanding more from the factory shocks than they were designed for. Think of where the piston rod of your rear shock (also the front) would sit in it's overall stroke after these springs were installed. It's operating far lower in its stroke than it was designed to. This, in combination with the valving of the shock being specific to your OEM springs, messed shit up. As you suggested, this may not be the case with the sport suspension, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Just some food for thought, my friend. Hope the next suspension mod goes better for you!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 08:06 PM   #25
baggett67
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335I E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by _shim View Post
You rang?
Perfect timing.

I have my Swift springs matched with the OEM sport struts. So far, other than my tires rubbing, I have no complaints. The ride still feels good to me after several months.

I ran autocross both days this weekend and the combo definitely felt better than the stock sports spring/strut combo used to. The body roll was vastly reduced. If I could get rid of the damn rubbing, I would be very happy with the Swift/OEM sport struts setup.

For me, it was worth trying the Swift springs with the OEM sport struts before spending another $700 on Koni Yellows or similar. I knew I was taking a risk, but it was worth it to me. After gathering 4 months of real world experience driving around, I am still okay with the OEM sport struts. Also, for the record, I have no evidence that this combo has resulted in any damage to my bump stops or struts so far.

I would love to try the springs with some Koni Yellows, but I have no guarantee that the difference would be worth the price. For now, I am spending my $700 on an LSD instead. (Mfactory Helical LSD to be installed this Monday!)
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 10:57 AM   #26
richragus
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335i w/ Sport Monaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
What a ridiculous statement to make. Actually, no; the bone-headed move here was going with lowering springs WITHOUT getting a matching setting of shocks/struts to support them. The stock dampers are underdamped enough already, you dumping the car even more surely didn't help things at all...I'm sure the springs are fine with a properly matched set of dampers. How can you seriously be surprised by the outcome here. Is this your first time modding a car or something?
Cobra, I also installed Koni Yellow and replaced my bushings with M3 control arm/bushing setup....there's really nothing else I could have done...

Before you start ripping my setup, you should read my prior response....this was a setup that was recommended by Swift...

She handles no question, however, the fact that I can't even have as much as a feather in the back seat (E90 sedan) without the tires rubbing and the problems that came along with it is ridiculous

I suppose, if you're only looking to get 5K out of a suspension and tire setup and you have a silver spoon, hey, go for it! Otherwise, for those who have a daily driver, but also want to tear it up, this isn't what you want...at least on an E90...E92, maybe, but the weight load on the E90 just isn't worth it
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 11:18 AM   #27
HighPSI
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Cobra, I also installed Koni Yellow and replaced my bushings with M3 control arm/bushing setup....there's really nothing else I could have done...

Before you start ripping my setup, you should read my prior response....this was a setup that was recommended by Swift...

She handles no question, however, the fact that I can't even have as much as a feather in the back seat (E90 sedan) without the tires rubbing and the problems that came along with it is ridiculous

I suppose, if you're only looking to get 5K out of a suspension and tire setup and you have a silver spoon, hey, go for it! Otherwise, for those who have a daily driver, but also want to tear it up, this isn't what you want...at least on an E90...E92, maybe, but the weight load on the E90 just isn't worth it

Man you're brand new. Your tires are rubbing because:

A. You need a proper alignment to adjust the camber
B. Your wheel offset isn't proper
C. Your tire setup isn't proper

I have the Koni/Swift combo and my summer and winter setup doesn't rub at all.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 11:18 AM   #28
jjellyneck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i MT

Quote:

I might have missed it...what are the Swift spring rates you are using? Spring length?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 11:24 AM   #29
richragus
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPSI View Post
Man you're brand new. Your tires are rubbing because:

A. You need a proper alignment to adjust the camber
B. Your wheel offset isn't proper
C. Your tire setup isn't proper

I have the Koni/Swift combo and my summer and winter setup doesn't rub at all.
All factory recommended setups

225/40-18 front et34
255/35-18 rear et 37

I've don'e the alignment twice just to make sure, and the camber is right in-line w/factory specs

oh, maybe it's because I weigh 215 lbs and not 170?? hahah

new, yes; born last night, no
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 11:46 AM   #30
HighPSI
Banned
Rep

Quote:
All factory recommended setups

225/40-18 front et34
255/35-18 rear et 37

I've don'e the alignment twice just to make sure, and the camber is right in-line w/factory specs

oh, maybe it's because I weigh 215 lbs and not 170?? hahah

new, yes; born last night, no
Your springs are not factory. You have now lowered your car which means you have to adjust some settings on your alignment if you are rubbing. First you must determine where the tire is rubbing - outside fender or inner fender. Once you determine that then you'll know if you need more camber, less camber or a wheel spacer in the rear. I bet a 10mm spacer will stop your rear from rubbing.

I'll give you an example. My setup didn't rub. As soon as I installed M3 control arms, my front tires were rubbing. I purchased Dinan camber plates and went for an alignment to add more negative camber and now I don't rub at all.

FYI I'm 210lbs.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 11:56 AM   #31
richragus
Rep

Quote:
Your springs are not factory. You have now lowered your car which means you have to adjust some settings on your alignment if you are rubbing. First you must determine where the tire is rubbing - outside fender or inner fender. Once you determine that then you'll know if you need more camber, less camber or a wheel spacer in the rear. I bet a 10mm spacer will stop your rear from rubbing.

I'll give you an example. My setup didn't rub. As soon as I installed M3 control arms, my front tires were rubbing. I purchased Dinan camber plates and went for an alignment to add more negative camber and now I don't rub at all.

FYI I'm 210lbs.

210, lol!! Thanks!

That's just the thing...they're rubbing on the TOP of the wheel well. It's too low!

All the camber in the world can't fix that.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 12:37 PM   #32
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
As soon as I installed M3 control arms, my front tires were rubbing. I purchased Dinan camber plates and went for an alignment to add more negative camber and now I don't rub at all.
I don't get it; you started rubbing only after adding negative camber via M3 control arms and the rubbing went away after adding MORE negative camber via Dinan plates...???
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 12:41 PM   #33
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjellyneck View Post
I might have missed it...what are the Swift spring rates you are using? Spring length?
This thread is about Swift spec r springs not their coilover springs. These are just a sport spring replacement. Their rates are listed somewhere around here.
      03-19-2014, 12:56 PM   #34
baggett67
Private
Rep

Q for Rich... They think the Swift springs resulted in all 4 of your Koni Yellows being ruined? This seems very strange to me. I could see OEM non sport struts not being up to the task, but dozens of people are running Koni Yellows with Lowered setups.

Is it possible that the Swift Spec-R's were defective or the wrong part or botched install possibly?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 12:59 PM   #35
HighPSI
Banned
Rep

Quote:
210, lol!! Thanks!

That's just the thing...they're rubbing on the TOP of the wheel well. It's too low!

All the camber in the world can't fix that.
It's most likely rubbing on the inner wheel well due to the ET37 offset of your rear wheels. Try adding a 5mm-10mm spacer. Should do the trick. I'm running 17x9 et30 245/45/17 R-compound tires which runs wider than standard tires and I'm not rubbing even with 2 passengers in the backseat. H&R sport springs run lower than Swift because I used to have them and I didn't rub on those either. It's not the springs - it's your setup

Quote:
I don't get it; you started rubbing only after adding negative camber via M3 control arms and the rubbing went away after adding MORE negative camber via Dinan plates...???
It adds negative camber in a different way.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 01:08 PM   #36
baggett67
Private
Rep

Quote:
I agree that this sounds counterintuitive, but I recently had the same experience. This is what I believe is happening. When we swap out the OEM lower control arms for the M3 arms, the bottom of the wheel/tire seems to get pushed out by more than the top gets pushed in. Since my rubbing is not on the top of the fender, but more to the front where the bumper connects, the tire is actually rubbing in that spot more after adding the M3 control arms.

Maybe some of this is the fault of the alignment shop too. I told them to keep as much negative camber is they could, but possibly their adjustments resulted in the top of the tire not being pulled in as much as it could have been. I'm at -2.0 now.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 01:10 PM   #37
HighPSI
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggett67 View Post
I agree that this sounds counterintuitive, but I recently had the same experience. This is what I believe is happening. When we swap out the OEM lower control arms for the M3 arms, the bottom of the wheel/tire seems to get pushed out by more than the top gets pushed in. Since my rubbing is not on the top of the fender, but more to the front where the bumper connects, the tire is actually rubbing in that spot more after adding the M3 control arms.

Maybe some of this is the fault of the alignment shop too. I told them to keep as much negative camber is they could, but possibly their adjustments resulted in the top of the tire not being pulled in as much as it could have been. I'm at -2.0 now.
That's exactly where I was rubbing - where the bumper meets the fender.
I'm running -2.5 now.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 09:32 PM   #38
jjellyneck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvc 22349a View Post
This thread is about Swift spec r springs not their coilover springs. These are just a sport spring replacement. Their rates are listed somewhere around here.
Yes, Spec R. I'm slow....finally found the spring rates: 223 front and 615 in the rear.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 12:14 AM   #39
richragus
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggett67 View Post
Q for Rich... They think the Swift springs resulted in all 4 of your Koni Yellows being ruined? This seems very strange to me. I could see OEM non sport struts not being up to the task, but dozens of people are running Koni Yellows with Lowered setups.

Is it possible that the Swift Spec-R's were defective or the wrong part or botched install possibly?

It's looking like a botched install, after I got the new springs done today. Watch out for Harold, from HP Autowerks/autosport in Santa Barbara for the Koni Yellow and Swift Spec-R package. I'm going to demand a refund, as they clearly didn't put in new bumpstops and also deformed my strut mounts and pressure sensors. It seems as if that's where the problem started, and snowballed from there.

Am I getting accusatory? YES. Do I have grounds, I do. My ride is now back at 1" below stock, yet is seemingly 3" higher than it was before.

I'll post pics ASAP, so you all can see what I'm talking about. Maybe it wasn't a result of the product, but more a completely botched install by HP AutoSport in Santa Barbara, ca.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 01:24 AM   #40
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
It's looking like a botched install, after I got the new springs done today. Watch out for Harold, from HP Autowerks/autosport in Santa Barbara for the Koni Yellow and Swift Spec-R package. I'm going to demand a refund, as they clearly didn't put in new bumpstops and also deformed my strut mounts and pressure sensors. It seems as if that's where the problem started, and snowballed from there.

Am I getting accusatory? YES. Do I have grounds, I do. My ride is now back at 1" below stock, yet is seemingly 3" higher than it was before.

I'll post pics ASAP, so you all can see what I'm talking about. Maybe it wasn't a result of the product, but more a completely botched install by HP AutoSport in Santa Barbara, ca.
Are you saying HPA installed swift spec springs and koni's for you w/o installing bumpstops?
      03-22-2014, 08:46 AM   #41
richragus
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvc 22349a View Post
Are you saying HPA installed swift spec springs and koni's for you w/o installing bumpstops?
The bumpstops, which I was told were new and part of the package, were clearly the original ones or some deteriorated ones they found in the back of the shop somewhere. My pressure mount sensors were crushed too, and my highly trusted guys at Midnight Oil Motors said that was due to very poor workmanship.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 07:35 PM   #42
J2S2M
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i e90 m-sport

Any update on this?

I am planning on installing some Swift R-spec springs + Bilstein B8 sport struts/shocks on my e90 lci m-tech. Would like to hear some feedbacks from OP and other members who went w/ the Swift set up. To be honest, I find these previous accusations hard to believe b/c of the reputation that Swift has over this industry. Hands down, they make the best springs in the market which have shown great success in the racing circuit & in the auto industry.
      05-19-2014, 08:53 PM   #43
AGO 530
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SG '24 M3CX

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
I had the Koni yellow's + Swift R Spec setup installed last Thursday. So far I've only put 200km on the car, but I immediately noticed a huge improvement over the stock Msport suspension. The stock suspension would just eat up the road and I had some concerns the linear springs would be a little harsh for the street. I've got the Koni's dialled-in just a little past 1/2, both front and rear at the moment. This is my first setup on a linear spring and I'm impressed. I'll update after I log some real mileage behind the wheel.

Attached cell phone photo was taken 30 min after installation, planning on having an alignment done this week after it settles.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 06:31 PM   #44
J2S2M
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i e90 m-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGO 530 View Post
I had the Koni yellow's + Swift R Spec setup installed last Thursday. So far I've only put 200km on the car, but I immediately noticed a huge improvement over the stock Msport suspension. The stock suspension would just eat up the road and I had some concerns the linear springs would be a little harsh for the street. I've got the Koni's dialled-in just a little past 1/2, both front and rear at the moment. This is my first setup on a linear spring and I'm impressed. I'll update after I log some real mileage behind the wheel.

Attached cell phone photo was taken 30 min after installation, planning on having an alignment done this week after it settles.
Wow, the drop looks great! I am getting my swift + bilstein sport installed this Thurs. I am even more excited after seeing the pics of your ride.