E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Optimum Car Wash

04-19-2010, 06:26 PM   #1
ManyMoonsAgo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Coupe

Optimum Car Wash

Just wanted to pass along my very positive impressions of Optimum's Car Wash. I have used plenty of different car washes on my 335i - from Dodo Juice Sour Power, Supernatural, Blackfire Gloss Shampoo, Poorboy's, Chemical Guys, etc. Some have been good, a few great, and a few average.

This morning, I tried Optimum Car Wash for the first time and wow, what a fantastic car wash. I have used ONR before and had very good results, but there is just something about a bucket of suds and a hose that makes my car washing experience feel satisfying.

As for Optimum Car Wash, it is a very thick gel that seems far more concentrated than the label indicates. Instructions call for 1 oz/gallon, but I am betting you could easily go for 1/2 oz per gallon and be just fine. The wash produces plenty of suds, but what really stands out is the lubricity of the solution. My wash mitt just seemed to glide/hover over the paint. Also, it seemed that Optimum Car Wash has some form of anti-sheeting component as the water receded nicely as the wash mitt passed over panels. The only other wash soap I have seen this phenomenon with is Dodo Juice's Supernatural Shampoo.

After rinsing and drying, it came as no surprise that the paint had a classic glossy appearance that Optimum products seem to have a knack for producing. I ordered a 32oz bottle of the wash, but once finished, I will be ordering a gallon. Very good stuff worth a try if you are in the market for a new car wash.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 11:28 PM   #2
lopealle
Resident Black Guy
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: Lion

Garage List
2006 M5  [10.00]
that stuff is pretty awesoem
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 11:42 PM   #3
DimSum
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: SLOW

the no rinse stuff is damn good.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 09:48 AM   #4
pander5
Special Forces - Discretion is superior
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe Sapphire Black

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
That's good to hear because I'm evaluating different soaps and want to settle on 1 that is good.

I, like you and many others, have used ONR and love it but I do agree that something feels good about a traditional soapy, sudsy, rinsy wash. The only thing I hate is the Niagra Falls when you open the doors to clean and dry the jambs. That doesn't happen with ONR. I find the ONR leaves a sheen as well.

I use a foam gun and go through a lot of soap so I'm looking for larger quantities to purchase as well.
      05-11-2010, 08:16 AM   #5
zaxjax
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 Crimson Red 335i

Garage List
2008 335i  [9.00]
I like Optimum Car Wash as well and ONR is awesome as well
      05-11-2010, 03:54 PM   #6
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

A lot of our customers really enjoy the Optimum Car Wash, it's definitely a sleeper as one of the better maintenance shampoos available. Thanks for posting your thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 06:20 PM   #7
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

OCW and the new CG GlossWorkz are my two favorite traditional maintenance wash shampoos right now. And they're both on sale through tomorrow during DI's shampoo sale.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 09:21 PM   #8
tracerit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 BRZ Limited 6MT

how does the Optimum No Rinse work? You just put it on and start with the wash mitt, no need for any water?

How does it compare to Meguiar's Gold Class Wash/Shampoo? It seems the price difference is quite small with DI's current sale on the Optimum Wash.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 09:36 PM   #9
shoes
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BSM E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracerit View Post
how does the Optimum No Rinse work? You just put it on and start with the wash mitt, no need for any water?

How does it compare to Meguiar's Gold Class Wash/Shampoo? It seems the price difference is quite small with DI's current sale on the Optimum Wash.
You mix some ONR with water and wash your car with that solution. As the name implies, you don't need to rinse the car down. You just wash and dry.
It's really a great product. I was skeptical of it until I tried it out first hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopa489 View Post
OCW and the new CG GlossWorkz are my two favorite traditional maintenance wash shampoos right now. And they're both on sale through tomorrow during DI's shampoo sale.
Woah when did DI start carrying GlossWorkz?
I wanted to try that stuff but it was only available on CG's UK site so I never ordered and completely forgot about it.

Think it would make a good replacement to CG's MaxiSudz?
I need something that will work well in a foam gun.
      05-11-2010, 09:59 PM   #10
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoes View Post
Woah when did DI start carrying GlossWorkz?
I wanted to try that stuff but it was only available on CG's UK site so I never ordered and completely forgot about it.

Think it would make a good replacement to CG's MaxiSudz?
I need something that will work well in a foam gun.
Yeah, a detailing friend of mine got a hold of some and gave me a "sample". I was impressed. Wouldn't use it to replace MaxiSudz - it's not super sudsy. Tremendous lubricity and a definitely-noticeable added gloss after the wash though. After using Glossworkz, I don't see any need to QD for that bit of added shine after a maintenance wash; the shampoo does it all.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 10:12 PM   #11
shoes
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BSM E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopa489 View Post
Yeah, a detailing friend of mine got a hold of some and gave me a "sample". I was impressed. Wouldn't use it to replace MaxiSudz - it's not super sudsy. Tremendous lubricity and a definitely-noticeable added gloss after the wash though. After using Glossworkz, I don't see any need to QD for that bit of added shine after a maintenance wash; the shampoo does it all.
Hmm... good to know.
Maybe I'll pick up the 16 oz bottle sometime to try it out.
      05-13-2010, 09:44 PM   #12
lucas.kent
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Thanks for the post. Like others have said, I really like the ONR but there is something about the traditional wash. I'll have to pick some up...
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2010, 08:00 PM   #13
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

I have found every Optimum product to be outstanding. The results are always excellent and the prices are very reasonable.
Appreciate 0