E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Any serious home cinema fans on here?

02-13-2009, 03:41 PM   #45
medrep
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 320D Carbon Black

gIzzE, I hear what your saying. But I have done nothing (literally) bar research into these players. Bewteen main dealers, current owners and impartial HC fanatics, the 3800 has superior performance over the 2500 in all areas of SD/BD sound performance.

Ok, the differences may not be worth 1k, but you of all people would appreciate the 'law of diminising returns' applies very early with regards to hifi/home cinema!

I had the cash spare, so I thought F**k it!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2009, 05:24 PM   #46
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

The most impressive player I have seen/heard so far is a a Pioneer LX51 that has been Trichord modded, player £300 and the mods £700, but my god is it something else picture and sound wise.
But you loose your warranty etc.

Don't blame you for going for the better player, if you can afford it why not.
But I thought the Rotel didn't have an option to bypass the Faroudja processing?? If that is the case and has not been sorted then the gains of the 3800 over the 2500 (being the Realta processing) are completely lost.

It may not be the case, but worth looking in to.

Also there is no room correction on it is there?? That would be a must for me on a £4k set up.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2009, 05:45 PM   #47
medrep
Private First Class
Rep

The bypass issue is something that does concern me, and ive yet to ascertain? May be a silly mistake on my behalf, but again thats where the compromises come in Its the sound qaulity jump that im really looking for. If all goes pear shaped, audio ex give a 30 day uprade scheme. Not sure where i'll go from there though..............???

It does not have audyssey EQ, again another compromise. But its 2ch performance compared to denon/onkyo etc is superior. Something im prepared to give for room EQ.

I came to the conclusion eventually that there is nothing out there perfect, and probably never will be. And that there was always be the 'oh but the new model will do this/that debate'.

I just want to buy something really good and enjoy it for what it does, not stress about the latest and greatest features. Profile 2.0 does not interest me in the slightest.....I never even watch the extras on a dvd let lone want to hear some director babble on or see a comic sketch of the scene half way through a film

The next week or so will tell. You certainly sound like you know what your on about though gIzzE.

Are you into this seriously then.........?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2009, 06:09 PM   #48
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

It's late, but I will post a reply in the morning.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2009, 06:35 PM   #49
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

I will give a quick reply now.

You are paying serious money for the video processing, mainly the deinterlacing, of 1080i material by going to the 3800, which is the Realta. You said yourself that is why you are spending £1500 for the 3800 instead of £500 for the 2500 transport, and that is why all the guys on the forums spend the extra too. However, you are putting it into a processor that uses Faroujda processing which is not quite as good as the Realta.
So, in this case you would turn off all the video processing on the amp and let the player do the processing.
But you can't, the amp is always going to be processing the signal, and that is the last thing you want, processing twice, so you will probably find that disabling the processing on the 3800 gives better results, at which point that extra money has been a complete waste.

Now, the other reason that you may justify the 3800 is the analogue audio outs, which are excellent, but are you going to use them or hook it up hdmi and send the bitsream signal to your new amp and let that do the decoding?? My guess would be that the Denon would sound better.

Now the problem with that is if you are going to use the analogue outs of the 3800 you could be looking at something like the Lexicon MC4 processor which are being cleared for not much more money and are on a whole new level sound wise, especially for 2 channel stuff.

It is a tricky one, the fact the Rotel can not disable the video processing and pass through the signal makes it a complete non starter for me.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2009, 03:34 AM   #50
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

Also, it is the Bristol show next weekend, why not hold off and go to that, you will hear what everyone is doing in well set up rooms.

http://www.bristolshow.co.uk/
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2009, 06:01 AM   #51
Budgie
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X1 25D M sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
Also, it is the Bristol show next weekend, why not hold off and go to that, you will hear what everyone is doing in well set up rooms.

http://www.bristolshow.co.uk/
Might pop down for this...Big bristols or small ones...ill ring carlos too..he loves a bristol
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2009, 07:49 AM   #52
medrep
Private First Class
Rep

Hi gIzze,

I was aware of the potential issue with the non existent bypass, and that the rotel would be doing all the 'upscaling'. Now on this basis you'd expect all video to look the same, but it didnt.

The 2500 looked much much better than the ps3 going through the rotel. So the player does have some degree of input towards the overall result. A bit like how a good cd transport will produce better results going to a DAC, rather than using a budget transport.

Now that you have brought my total attention to it, i'll look into it further and see what the options are. However it was the leap in sound qaulity which drove my purchase of the 3800.

I have read many reviews that it is the best sounding player out here, and this was even via HDMI bitsream. Why this was the case is a massive can of worms at the moment, people stating jitter levels etc etc (all a bit over my head tbh), but my sole purpose is to squeeze every last bit of detail out for movies, and imo this is worth the money and the compromise of not seeing the realta chip in total glory.

I did a quick google on the lex, prices coming up for around 2 to 3k? The rotel processor individually only cost me £1250 after discount, so its not much of a surprise to me that the lex is better. I have to draw a line somewhere

Could I ask what kit you are currently using, and what your preferred set up is?

N.B I will be at the show, and had intentions of buying there, but by then all the manufacturers prices would have gone up, and they already have.
Technically I only paid £1250 for the Denon 3800. Now it retails between £1599 and £1999. A hasty decision to buy now, but there is no way I or anyone can do a fair comparison on the kit at the show, in different rooms, cables, speakers, screens etc etc.The only true subjective way is to home demo, and probably all at once back to back testing. This is impossible, so I based my decision on how the rotel performed to my own ears and eyes in my own home.

That is also why I didnt buy 2nd hand.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2009, 03:19 PM   #53
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep
Drives: 330i SE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by medrep View Post
..I really seriously considered the mono x amps, but as you rightly said viv, listen with your own ears, and I was extremely happy with the Rotel result..
NB, Viv, see you at the show, let me know where youll be. Ill be there on sat early.............
Glad you did the right thing for yourself & are happy with the Rotel kit.

I'll be flying down to Bristol on Friday afternoon & expect to be at the Marriott at 10am on the Saturday.

Viv

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2009, 03:30 PM   #54
neilmc
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D M SPORT

Viv, have been away working hard for 5 months and am now returning to e90 post. Mild/very drunk looking at threads and after discussing if manfat comes through the japs eye or the foreskin/japs eye with my mate Robbie, I have Acoustic energy 3 special edition mk 3etc. Actually very confused and will post up on the blue fin thread as have just ordered it on Friday. Actually how is everyone? Funny little girl with the mg /porsche thing still about? Hangover etc will start posting again tomorrow. what a shit ruby match. Very drunk now sorry. BYE bYE
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2009, 03:32 PM   #55
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmc View Post
Viv, have been away working hard for 5 months and am now returning to e90 post. Mild/very drunk looking at threads and after discussing if manfat comes through the japs eye or the foreskin/japs eye with my mate Robbie, I have Acoustic energy 3 special edition mk 3etc. Actually very confused and will post up on the blue fin thread as have just ordered it on Friday. Actually how is everyone? Funny little girl with the mg /porsche thing still about? Hangover etc will start posting again tomorrow. what a shit ruby match. Very drunk now sorry. BYE bYE
Neil you old goat, put your penis down and sign up for the UK7 meet below.
      02-14-2009, 03:36 PM   #56
neilmc
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Will I am fucked or Fuc** etc will start posts in the daytime,sound like a vampire,very confuse. peepshow is really funny.just done the boxset,back to the rum.woozle.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2009, 03:57 PM   #57
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep
Drives: 330i SE

Garage List
Quote:
Welcome back Neil.

Looking forward to your words of wisdom.

The 'funny little girl' is still about, yes, & Carl & Oli are at it like husband & wife.

All the best.

Viv

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2009, 04:18 PM   #58
neilmc
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Hickup. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2009, 06:28 PM   #59
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

Of course it makes a difference, the PS3 has a very flat and shocking picture that is bettered by most of the latest players.
Jitter is a major problem with hdmi on both the audio and video side of things, that is why getting it Thrichord modded is money well spent, £700 on mods would cost around £3000 extra at retail.

I understand what you are saying about the 3800, it is a very good player, I am probably going to order one myself, but I am not sure it is the right player for the system it is being put in, and it seems like really crap advice you have had from your supplier.
The benifits over the 2500 is internal processing allowing output of LPCM, however your processor will do that anyway, and the Realta processor.
I would get your dealer to demo the 2500 and the 3800 going through the Rotel and then directly to the screen, you judge for yourself.

I don't actually think the player choice is wrong, I just think the Rotel can be bettered, the Onkyo 886 is stunning for example, fully balanced processor that really has impressed me.
That is against Merdian, Proceed, Lexicon, Bryston and all the big boys.

I sold my processor and amp last year, main reason I was worried bout being left with £10k's worth of kit that could not take the new formats. I was using a Meridian Processor and a Classé amp, and it was superb. However, Meridian have just released an HDMI input that dejitters and up scales lpcm and sends it to the merdian multi channel link. It is not cheap at £1500 for 6 hdmi inputs, but it does mean you can get all the formats and keep the Meridian sound.

So I have just bought another one today, Amp wise I think I have tracked something down, but want to keep quiet for now as not many people know about them and it is still be advertised.

At the moment I am using an Onkyo 875 to watch TV with, and a Unison Research Unico (valve hybrid) stereo amp for my music, which is seriously good for the money they go for used.

I am using Dunlavey Audio Labs speakers with a Rel Stadium sub, they are weird time aligned things, alot of guys in studios use them as they are extremely revealing.

I agree that you have to buy what you like the sound of. But I would always buy used, the amp I am looking at retails for £6300 and I have agreed a price of £1250.
The Meridian processor even with the hdmi input would be £6000 new, total cost used after a little discount on the switcher is £1300.

I sold my Lexicon MC8 for £2200 2 years ago now, so they must be about for the same sort of money or less used, that is why I said worth having a look round for one of those, that was all.

Quote:
Hi gIzze,

I was aware of the potential issue with the non existent bypass, and that the rotel would be doing all the 'upscaling'. Now on this basis you'd expect all video to look the same, but it didnt.

The 2500 looked much much better than the ps3 going through the rotel. So the player does have some degree of input towards the overall result. A bit like how a good cd transport will produce better results going to a DAC, rather than using a budget transport.

Now that you have brought my total attention to it, i'll look into it further and see what the options are. However it was the leap in sound qaulity which drove my purchase of the 3800.

I have read many reviews that it is the best sounding player out here, and this was even via HDMI bitsream. Why this was the case is a massive can of worms at the moment, people stating jitter levels etc etc (all a bit over my head tbh), but my sole purpose is to squeeze every last bit of detail out for movies, and imo this is worth the money and the compromise of not seeing the realta chip in total glory.

I did a quick google on the lex, prices coming up for around 2 to 3k? The rotel processor individually only cost me £1250 after discount, so its not much of a surprise to me that the lex is better. I have to draw a line somewhere

Could I ask what kit you are currently using, and what your preferred set up is?

N.B I will be at the show, and had intentions of buying there, but by then all the manufacturers prices would have gone up, and they already have.
Technically I only paid £1250 for the Denon 3800. Now it retails between £1599 and £1999. A hasty decision to buy now, but there is no way I or anyone can do a fair comparison on the kit at the show, in different rooms, cables, speakers, screens etc etc.The only true subjective way is to home demo, and probably all at once back to back testing. This is impossible, so I based my decision on how the rotel performed to my own ears and eyes in my own home.

That is also why I didnt buy 2nd hand.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2009, 06:30 PM   #60
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

Quote:
HHahaha Top post!!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2009, 02:27 AM   #61
medrep
Private First Class
Rep

Hi gIzzE,

I think in fairness the difference between me and you is experience. I have been enjoying 'higher' qaulity hifi and hc since early 2000, but have not ventured into the world of high grade electronics etc as you have.

The longer I look into this and enjoy it, the more im learning. I think maybe in the future, with what im picking up knowledge wise now, 5+ years from now my choices may be more based on experience, rather than whats new in the shop.

Actually, next time ill be coming to see you with my piggy bank in tow and you can hold my hand round the shops and 2nd hand market

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I'll let you know how I get on later this week when its all installed. My next upgrade will be the speakers and possibly a new sub. Im thinking B&W 803, maybe even 802 if enough cash is saved. I'll get in touch with you closer to the time, although realistically that may be many years from now.

Would love to hear your set up when its done

btw, what the hell is trichord modded????????? and I reckon you got your eye on another classe amp, yes???
...............and has Neil has a coffee yet?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2009, 04:55 AM   #62
neilmc
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Sorry all about turning up in the middle of a serious thread. I just saw home cinema and started to take a look. Will read it all in a minute after lots of coffee!! What hdmi leads are you all using? I have just replaced all mine and am really pleased with the results. Sorry again.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2009, 05:50 AM   #63
medrep
Private First Class
Rep

Hey Neil, how's the head today?

I have the Chord silver 1.3a hdmi leads. Never really tried anything other types other than the standard one supplied with kit and the QED quinex. I think the chord cable may be slightly better on my pioneer 5090, but on my sony 40" lcd I couldnt tell much difference.

If my dealer hadnt have thrown in more chord cables with my deal I think I may have gone for themissinglink hdmi cables.

Which ones did you get and where did you see an improvement?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2009, 05:57 AM   #64
neilmc
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi medrep. I still feel a bit unusual!!! I changed from QED to Wireworld silver starlight. A huge jump in price, but I did get all 3 for half price from a place in New York. i have the old QED ones on my Panny plasma over there. The wireworld at that price are excellent but I would think twice at spending nearly £300 each at retails, although they are good. Incidentally you will not be able to buy big screen tv's in California soon due to power consumption laws. Everyone will be going over the border to buy them like contraband!!! the world is going mad.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2009, 06:00 AM   #65
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

I am using MOLEX cables, £9 for a 1m cable and £30 for a 5m cable.

Tried some of the £500 cables and can't tell a difference, but at the same time tried some monster cables at £70 and there was sparklies.

MOLEX is the standard so I will stick with their own branded ones.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2009, 06:05 AM   #66
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Hi gIzzE,

I think in fairness the difference between me and you is experience. I have been enjoying 'higher' qaulity hifi and hc since early 2000, but have not ventured into the world of high grade electronics etc as you have.

The longer I look into this and enjoy it, the more im learning. I think maybe in the future, with what im picking up knowledge wise now, 5+ years from now my choices may be more based on experience, rather than whats new in the shop.

Actually, next time ill be coming to see you with my piggy bank in tow and you can hold my hand round the shops and 2nd hand market

I think you have a nice system there, and I totally understand what you are saying, the Rotel will always get good money back when you want to upgrade anyway, so use it for a while and then consider something used or ex-demo maybe.

http://www.trichordresearch.com/

Have a look at the CD player upgrade sections.
Appreciate 0