E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Any serious home cinema fans on here?

02-16-2009, 04:12 AM   #89
mistry
Captain
Rep
Drives: F11 530D

What a great thread, (not that I've read all of it). But I've recently decided to do up my lounge and just brought a Pioneer PDP-LX5090 screen, a SC-LX71 AMP and the Kef 3005se package.
Been looking at these boxes for about 2 weeks now cause I'm waiting for some Carpet to be laid, which had been delayed because of the snow but hopefully be fitted later today.

I hadn't really thought about calibrators for the screen but you've got me thinking. (maybe we can do a group buy or buy one and share it amoungst us)

Anyway I know where I'll be coming for advise when it come to buying a BD player. I was thinking the 51FD or LX71 just to keep it all Pioneer.

P.S. Anyone going to the show in Bristol this weekend? Being as I live there it would be rude not to go.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2009, 04:19 AM   #90
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistry View Post
What a great thread, (not that I've read all of it). But I've recently decided to do up my lounge and just brought a Pioneer PDP-LX5090 screen, a SC-LX71 AMP and the Kef 3005se package.
Been looking at these boxes for about 2 weeks now cause I'm waiting for some Carpet to be laid, which had been delayed because of the snow but hopefully be fitted later today.

I hadn't really thought about calibrators for the screen but you've got me thinking. (maybe we can do a group buy or buy one and share it amoungst us)

Anyway I know where I'll be coming for advise when it come to buying a BD player. I was thinking the 51FD or LX71 just to keep it all Pioneer.

P.S. Anyone going to the show in Bristol this weekend? Being as I live there it would be rude not to go.

Viv is flying down to Bristol for the show on the Friday, and will be there till Sunday... I'm going to go down to meet him on the Friday evening - whether I can stay for the Saturday, I'm still not sure... I think Medrep is also going on Saturday ???

As for your Bluray player, it makes sense to get either the LX51 or LX71 - the Kuro link facility which optimises picture quality and settings between the the player and the screen is an added bonus. The LX51 is great value at around £300... don't hesitate!!!

Oh, and the SpyderTV for the calibration - what a MASSIVE difference it makes
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2009, 04:38 AM   #91
mistry
Captain
Rep

I was also thinking of going down Friday as I need to be in the Midlands on Saturday and Sunday. I'll be sure to say hello if I bump into you guys.

I was trying to weigh up the difference between the 51 and 71, but struggling to see what the 71 offers more apart from the sexy touch sensitive buttons.

With the SpyderTV can you use it to calibrate monitors to? and do you think I'll be able to pick one up at the show?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2009, 04:42 AM   #92
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

The '71 uses a higher bit-rate video processor, which theoretically gives a cleaner picture with more detail. However in reality the difference is small, and you'd be better off getting the '51 and modding it a later date with the Trichord upgrades (www.trichordresearch.com). And that's coming from me, and I own a '71 !!

The SypderTV comes with TV specific software, so it doesn't allow for calibration of computer monitors to specific colour ranges etc. However, I have the Spyder software for computer monitors, and given it uses the same colorimeter hardware, I could always "assist" you in this matter ??!!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2009, 04:55 AM   #93
mistry
Captain
Rep

Cheers Tony, I think I'm sold.

is this what your're talking about? http://www.shop.bt.com/productview.aspx?quicklinx=3S9L
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2009, 05:35 AM   #94
medrep
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 320D Carbon Black

Great, i'll be there sat morning onwards. Going down (dragging down) with my father and mate, i'll wonder how long it'l be before they get fed up and go to the bar

I too am now sold on the spyder, perhaps they'll be sold at the show? Mistry, you get it first and then you can calibrate mine for me, i'll throw in a welshcake LOL...........

I'll be wearing a purple velvet jacket sporting a yellow rose pinned to the lapels. Seriously, would be good to say hi for 5 mins if your all around?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2009, 05:43 AM   #95
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Cheers Tony, I think I'm sold.

is this what your're talking about? http://www.shop.bt.com/productview.aspx?quicklinx=3S9L
You want the new version, which is the Spyder3TV - buy from here as it's the cheapest place
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2009, 05:45 AM   #96
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by medrep View Post
Great, i'll be there sat morning onwards. Going down (dragging down) with my father and mate, i'll wonder how long it'l be before they get fed up and go to the bar

I too am now sold on the spyder, perhaps they'll be sold at the show? Mistry, you get it first and then you can calibrate mine for me, i'll throw in a welshcake LOL...........

I'll be wearing a purple velvet jacket sporting a yellow rose pinned to the lapels. Seriously, would be good to say hi for 5 mins if your all around?
They might be sold at the show, but I'll bet good money it'll be more expensive than Colour Confidence - link here. Normal street price is around £140-£150... Colour Confidence is only £112 !!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2009, 02:59 PM   #97
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep
Drives: 330i SE

Garage List
Quote:
..P.S. Anyone going to the show in Bristol this weekend? Being as I live there it would be rude not to go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Fan View Post
Viv is flying down to Bristol for the show on the Friday, and will be there till Sunday... I'm going to go down to meet him on the Friday evening - whether I can stay for the Saturday, I'm still not sure... I think Medrep is also going on Saturday ??? ..
Quote:
Originally Posted by medrep View Post

I'll send you boys a PM- it'd be good to have a meet.

Viv

Appreciate 0
      02-16-2009, 03:00 PM   #98
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekk View Post
I'll send you boys a PM- it'd be good to have a meet.

Viv
Sounds good.
      02-16-2009, 03:33 PM   #99
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep
Drives: 330i SE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by willhollin View Post
Sounds good.
You fancy coming (to the meet ) Will?

Viv

Appreciate 0
      03-06-2009, 07:14 AM   #100
mistry
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Fan View Post
The '71 uses a higher bit-rate video processor, which theoretically gives a cleaner picture with more detail. However in reality the difference is small, and you'd be better off getting the '51 and modding it a later date with the Trichord upgrades (www.trichordresearch.com). And that's coming from me, and I own a '71 !!

The SypderTV comes with TV specific software, so it doesn't allow for calibration of computer monitors to specific colour ranges etc. However, I have the Spyder software for computer monitors, and given it uses the same colorimeter hardware, I could always "assist" you in this matter ??!!
Took your advice and got the 51, city link dropped it off about an hour ago, I had a little play of 300 and it sounds amazing through my SC-LX71 not sure I need to go down the trichord upgrade route, and picture quality is brilliant, just need to get me a Spyder3TV now.

I was tempted by the 71 BD player with the sexy touch screen buttons, but it just didn't seem worth the extra cash.
Appreciate 0