E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > I hate MINI dealers!!

02-27-2009, 04:06 PM   #1
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Huracan Evo & M8 GC

I hate MINI dealers!!

After 'our' recent experience, they must be the most arrogant people to deal with.

The missus has finally listened to my 'advice' (lol) and swapped her 2-month old Punto for what she should have always got...a nearly new fully loaded Cooper S (well, actually, the 'S' bit is more for me; Vicki would have been happy with a normal Cooper!).

However, on finding the right car on the web at a Sytner dealer in London, we went into our local Sytner dealer in Leicester to do the deal thinking they can get the car from another dealer within their group nice and easily!

Despite trying, we got bugger all off the cost of the car but it was quite a good price anyway; considering it's a Dec08 build spec'd to £21k with just 3k on the clock, we're quite happy with getting it for just under £17k.

However, all is not well with actually getting the car! They can't get it until the 3rd week in March as the twats won't release it from demo until they've got a new one; and they won't do that until the new reg (hang on...I thought that was on the 1st?!?).

Anyway, we've basically been told that this is Sytners 'rules' and as we won't get a car to the spec we want at that price anywhere else (ok...this may currently be true) then we can either live with it....or don't buy it! Unbelievable! You can't imagine how mad I got with this attitude; cars aren't exactly flying out and they treat a new customer like this???

I wanted to tell them to stuff it and walk away but the missus wasn't having any of it...thats the car she wanted and didn't want to lose it! She's too soft but honestly, is it normal to be treated with such contempt?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2009, 04:15 PM   #2
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
In my experience with Sytner - Yes.

But, if the missus has decided that's the one she wants, it probably doesn't matter.
      02-27-2009, 04:21 PM   #3
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
You will prob find that it is 3 months old on that date - I know BMW work like that, thats how I am getting the deal on the M3

Works like this: The dealer gets a demo discount on their demo cars BUT they have a condition....the car has to be run for 3 months as a demo car and then sold as an AUC car. If it is sold early the dealer will lose the demo discount, and hence you will lose your 'good price'

I am in the fortunate position of being able to spec their demo car how I want it, let them run it for 3 months and then buy it at a huge discount
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2009, 04:22 PM   #4
Carrera RSR
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: BMW

I'd tell them to shove it and write to the MD why they lost another customer.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2009, 04:24 PM   #5
M3-FAST
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrerarsr View Post
I'd tell them to shove it and write to the MD why they lost another customer.
Ain't gonna get the car off demo status any quicker
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2009, 04:30 PM   #6
mikem
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4M

As already said, they have to run it for 3 mths. They don`t have any choice, having an attitude will get you nowhere.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2009, 04:31 PM   #7
Speedtrap
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: A very fast car :)

Would it better to go to another dealer mate? I am sure you can pick up the same spec car?
      02-27-2009, 05:21 PM   #8
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedtrap View Post
Would it better to go to another dealer mate? I am sure you can pick up the same spec car?
Yeah I wish - there's a few out there that would be fine by me. But one in the right colour, with the right 'type' of leather with the right thickness piping....women!!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2009, 07:28 PM   #9
RockIt
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: Mercedes C350 Coupe

Garage List
When my wife bought her brand new Mini Cooper from JCT Bradford, it was a superb experience, n fact the best dealer experience we have ever encountered...until Porsche gave me a Cayman S for 24 hours for a test drive. They were the complete opposite to my BMW experience on the same site! Just goes to show that dealers are an inconsistent bunch of bar stewards.

RockIt!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2009, 02:52 AM   #10
scooba0010
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 430D-MOTORSPORT

The guys are correct about the discounts to the dealer from BMW uk as running it as a demo 90 days or 4k miles .

My advice would be try and get some nice free bits as you have to wait and in the mean time other people are testing your wifes new baby out or insist it is parked up and not used check the mileage you are paying a fair price for the S but are you happy for others to be using it in the mean time .
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2009, 03:20 AM   #11
M3-FAST
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooba0010 View Post
The guys are correct about the discounts to the dealer from BMW uk as running it as a demo 90 days or 4k miles .

My advice would be try and get some nice free bits as you have to wait and in the mean time other people are testing your wifes new baby out or insist it is parked up and not used check the mileage you are paying a fair price for the S but are you happy for others to be using it in the mean time .
Once they are sold I have been told they are usually parked up or only used when really needed. They dont want the mileage too high and the risk of damage and therefore loss of sale increases.

I have been promised mine will be run by the dealer principle as his car for a month or two, have a max of 2k miles, will not be loaned to other dealers and will not be given out on un-accompanied test drives. They are normally parked up for the last month or so. I have also been told that as soon as it arrives, I can go up and be the first to drive it Quite a decent deal me thinks
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2009, 03:50 AM   #12
RCUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 911 Turbo

Point out that the car will suffer another months depreciation in that time and knock it off the price.

A few quid in your pocket at least.
      02-28-2009, 04:03 AM   #13
Gibbo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Golf Ed35

In the current market there are probably some new ones around already built and unsold. If that is the case with some hard negotiating you should be able to get a new one for similar money?
      02-28-2009, 04:24 AM   #14
DonM3
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW e92 M3

Those 2k miles are gonna be some hard miles on the car if you know what I mean. Granted the 1st 1200 miles should be the break in period, and the car should be driven moderately, alot of people like me dont give a crap because ultimately its not their car.

On my test drive I absolutely ripped the crap out of an M3, which only had 800 miles on the clock. The salesman just sat there silent.

I personally would never buy a demo car, but it seems your getting a good discount and it maybe well worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redE93cab View Post
Once they are sold I have been told they are usually parked up or only used when really needed. They dont want the mileage too high and the risk of damage and therefore loss of sale increases.

I have been promised mine will be run by the dealer principle as his car for a month or two, have a max of 2k miles, will not be loaned to other dealers and will not be given out on un-accompanied test drives. They are normally parked up for the last month or so. I have also been told that as soon as it arrives, I can go up and be the first to drive it Quite a decent deal me thinks
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2009, 04:29 AM   #15
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Gibbo is right, i saw it on the news thousands of BRAND new Mini parked up in a car park.
      02-28-2009, 04:30 AM   #16
DonM3
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW e92 M3

However, in this financial climate I cant see many people going into the stealership seriously looking to buy a brand new M3. Therefore the number of test drives your car does will be very limited.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2009, 05:17 AM   #17
M3-FAST
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonM3 View Post
However, in this financial climate I cant see many people going into the stealership seriously looking to buy a brand new M3. Therefore the number of test drives your car does will be very limited.
Yep, your right, and hence why the used values are taking a battering.

My mate is trying to get me one as a demo to drive but is really struggling as it seems that every dealer in the midlands have done similar deals and pre-sold their M3 demo's before ordering them, and are refusing to loan them out for test drives.

I know it will have done 'some' hard miles, but thats why the dealer principle runs it until the 1200 mile service is done - As my buddy is the business manager at the dealer I am sure he will look after me I think the first M3's were prob driven by all and sundry when they were launched as with all the hype, every Tom Dick and Harry went for a rip, but now it has calmed down, the joyriders should have dwindled away?

I have already driven the M3 as he brought home their demo car as soon as they had it in and let me have a drive of it. I haven't driven the DCT version though, and have ordered this without driving one. I have driven the SMG M5 and liked the use of the paddles etc over a normal manual so am sure this will be fine.

Anyway, sorry to hijack the thread, hang on in there Palmball, and enjoy the healthy discount!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2009, 12:40 PM   #18
CrimsonRedE93
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Le Mans Blue E93 330d+

Garage List
Sorry to hear that Palmball, It is quite common I had the same thing with Nissan, I had struck a good deal on a 350Z GT but had to wait 9 weeks for it as they would not release it until the replacement arrived.

At least with mine the mileage was low as it was parked in the middle of the showroom so I could see it every time I drove past

It's still not good in the current cliamte though
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2009, 04:47 PM   #19
Steve A
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: too much

in ALPINA circles Sytner are affectionatly known as shitner, so it doesnt surprise me.
      03-01-2009, 04:55 AM   #20
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve A View Post
in ALPINA circles Sytner are affectionatly known as shitner, so it doesnt surprise me.
LOL...that's just great! The area I live in is covered in shit then...the two nearest dealers to me are Sytner Leicester and Nottingham.

They do have fancy premises though...shame they didn't invest in actual customer service!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2009, 06:39 AM   #21
lons
Lons
England
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport edition - carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmball View Post
After 'our' recent experience, they must be the most arrogant people to deal with.

The missus has finally listened to my 'advice' (lol) and swapped her 2-month old Punto for what she should have always got...a nearly new fully loaded Cooper S (well, actually, the 'S' bit is more for me; Vicki would have been happy with a normal Cooper!).

However, on finding the right car on the web at a Sytner dealer in London, we went into our local Sytner dealer in Leicester to do the deal thinking they can get the car from another dealer within their group nice and easily!

Despite trying, we got bugger all off the cost of the car but it was quite a good price anyway; considering it's a Dec08 build spec'd to £21k with just 3k on the clock, we're quite happy with getting it for just under £17k.

However, all is not well with actually getting the car! They can't get it until the 3rd week in March as the twats won't release it from demo until they've got a new one; and they won't do that until the new reg (hang on...I thought that was on the 1st?!?).

Anyway, we've basically been told that this is Sytners 'rules' and as we won't get a car to the spec we want at that price anywhere else (ok...this may currently be true) then we can either live with it....or don't buy it! Unbelievable! You can't imagine how mad I got with this attitude; cars aren't exactly flying out and they treat a new customer like this???

I wanted to tell them to stuff it and walk away but the missus wasn't having any of it...thats the car she wanted and didn't want to lose it! She's too soft but honestly, is it normal to be treated with such contempt?
Might not be as simple as it seems.

Didn't have that problem with my wife's cooper as it was a "pre-reg" with del miles but I had to wait for my 320, (same dealer, next door premises, shared workshop), as whilst it was a dealer demo, It was in fact a BMW registered car and not owned by the dealer.

They wouldn't release the registration until the car was exactly 3 months old and my understanding is that this type of arrangement is very common.
      03-03-2009, 06:56 AM   #22
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

They can't take advantage of the fact it is a 'demo' until it is 3 months old, they get big discounts at this point and some tax advantages, so that is why demos are such good deals.

Having said that you can now get 12% off a new mini and there are thousands in stock with even more of a discount. So would be worth calling a broker and seeing what they can get hold of.
Appreciate 0