E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Spring Detail

05-11-2010, 04:58 PM   #1
canthink344
Private
Rep
Drives: Bk 07' 335i Stock

Spring Detail

Hey, so weather is finally starting to look better and im about to do my spring (and first) detail and have a few question. The car is in pretty good shape however i do have a couple scratches but not too deep. I have metallic black and ive noticed the depth/shine of the black is starting to fade. Theres are also light swirl marks.

I dont really have time (or the patience) to do a 14hr detail. I practically have no supplies outside of the normal cars wash stuff. Having read a few post around here i was thinking about doing;
wash, clay, M105 (only where needed) and m205 the entire car, finally with BlackFire Wet Diamond.

My goal is to get long lasting quality result. Is this a good route, any other recommendations?

Ill be doing the entire process by hand.
      05-11-2010, 05:16 PM   #2
DetailAddict
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328i

once u get into polishing, you would have to spend the time... just no way around it... and if you are doing it by hand, you can forget about paint correction (you'll break your arm and sitting there for 2 weeks! ).

make sure you start with a good wash (dual bucket with grit guards)
make sure you have some good and dedicated mf for wash, dry, glass, wheels, etc
clay the entire car and double check when done (fold often)
get some filler products since you wont be using a machine
top it off with some good wax
keep up with wash and wax

Leo
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 06:28 PM   #3
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

BSM is a relatively hard paint. Effectively polishing it out by hand will kill you, and it's unlikely to be worth the pain and inconsistent results. If you're going to DIY, my advice would be to do it right and start with a kit from DI such as this one. Nice handy package that gives you everything you need for an M105/205 polish. Grab some clay and your Blackfire Sealant and you will have one clean ride.

Remember, the key to polishing is the prep work. Leo is completely correct above - once you commit to DIY polishing, you're going to have to invest the time. If you have a garage, you can break it up over a couple of days. The PCXP and bottles of M105/205/Blackfire will last you a while if you're just doing your own car 1-2 times per year. It's an investment, but it pays off.

If you're not interested in DIY, find a GOOD local detailer in your area. Ask here or on Autopia. There are a lot of hacks out there.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 06:33 PM   #4
canthink344
Private
Rep
Drives: Bk 07' 335i Stock

hmmm, well I can get ahold of a buffer and pads...

As for the washing aspect, i am very particular about a good wash. Never car-wash, always 2 mits and 2 buckets. I haven't clayed before. What do you mean by filler products, and from what ive read, i sounds like BlackFire Wet Diamond makes does a good job as a sealer + wax?
      05-11-2010, 08:05 PM   #5
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

Filler products contain filling properties to essentially mask blemishes in the paint. It can lead to a more consistent look, but isn't true paint correction. Your washing process sounds perfect, so you'll likely just need a light polish once per year. Wet Diamond is a fantastic sealant (especially for dark colored cars) - it's not at all a wax (it's a sealant), but leaves behind such a nice finish many people don't even bother with a wax. You can, of course, lay down a coat of wax over the Wet Diamond for even more gloss, wetness, and depth.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0