E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > 2006 Ford GT cleaned up

05-18-2010, 02:58 PM   #1
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: nissan xterra, 335 soon

2006 Ford GT cleaned up

Let me start off by saying this was a really awesome car to work on! There will be a lot of picture, probably more than necessary, but oh well.

I received an email from this gentleman stating that his friend had me detail his car and was thrilled with the results and that I should detail his car for him. Fast forward a few emails later, I get the address and set a date with the car! I told him it could be a long day or a couple of days to get it to my standards. His response was "I dont care, I just want it right, which is why i am coming to you" You have to love it when you get these type of clients; the ones who want and expect quality above all else!

Apparently this car, nor any of his other cars had seen a paint reconditioning detail before! They have always been detailed, but just with the routine wash and wax detail, nothing major! This is where I come in and get the car looking as it should!

Upon arrival, I quickly noticed the drying out trim, the the hazy paint, and the dirty wheels. The interior just needed a quick clean up as he is pretty good about keeping it clean, which is nice because I like doing paint work more than interior work and by having a clean interior to start, that gives me more time on the exterior!

The paint needed a relatively simple process to clear up and get looking good again! Although the paint was hazy and had the usual swirl marks, the paint was soft enough to clear up with a white pad and menzerna power finish via PC on speed 6. I did an IPA wipe down twice on my test area and all was good so I proceeded on the rest of the car! After the 203 and IPA, I applied CG EZ Cream which helped prep the car for the sealant of choice...blackfire wet diamond!

Here is what I arrived to on day one:

At least its just wax in the cracks and not a bunch of holograms...I can live with that as its an easier fix:

That's me in action claying the car with megs blue clay and ONR mix lube:

All taped up and ready to polish. I tape up on every job where I bring out some polish. Its just not worth it to possibly burn/stain trim to me so Ill take the time to tape off. I opened doors and taped from the inside out to get the most paint available polished.

Moving onto the engine compartment ("trunk"), I gave it a thorough wipe down with ONR in a spray bottle, using a couple of different brushes and MF towels. It was a very tedious adventure, but the results were worth it in the end! All applicable parts were hit with 303 aerospace to add some protection and a matte look! Same goes for "under the hood" / front end.

Befores:

Afters of both areas:

Appreciate 0
      05-18-2010, 02:59 PM   #2
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: nissan xterra, 335 soon

There are no before shots of the paint because of lighting conditions in the garage and silver paint. It was hard enough to see in person, and I am not a camera guru, so afters are all taken a week later in the sun as it was raining the first day! Here is how I ended the 10 hour detail on day one:

Now lets fast forward to a week later. After a 700 mile trip to havasu, this is how it was returned!

Not a problem though for a little degreaser on the front end and a ONR wash. i decided to top the car with some wolfgang fuzion before taking some sun shots...proved to be a smart idea as it really amped the wetness. In the words of the owner "the GT looks so good in the sun, like never before".

Here are the final afters....enjoy!

Overall process on the car:
CGWG wash
CG sticky gel wheel cleaner with EZ detail brush
Megs hyper dressing all exterior trim/tires
one grand metal 300 polish
megs clay blue
menzerna power finish via pc and white pad
IPA wipe down
CGEZCG
BFWD
wolfgang fuzion

Total time: 10 hours start to finish (plus the ONR wash and wax a week later - 11 hours+)

Thanks for looking and comments are surely welcomed!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2010, 03:05 PM   #3
kgb1637
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: RS5

Great job, beautiful car!
      05-18-2010, 04:45 PM   #4
catch
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

im not a ford GT fan at all. I think it is cool for what it is but i think its ugly. My buddies dad has one and in person I feel like it looks like a giant frog.

Even though I dont love the car I think you did AMAZING work! The thing looks brand new now!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2010, 05:28 PM   #5
Jean-Claude
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3

Typical results from you, Eric.

No one can go wrong giving you their keys!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 07:25 AM   #6
Olagüe
Brigadier General
Spain
Rep
Drives: 333i e92

great job!
Appreciate 0