E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Dyson DC31 vacuum cleaner - worth it ? Any alternatives ?

05-20-2010, 04:21 AM   #1
cstavaru
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i M Sport Sedan 6MT

Dyson DC31 vacuum cleaner - worth it ? Any alternatives ?

Hi,

I am looking for a good portable vacuum cleaner for my car. I want a powerful but either rechargeable or car battery operated cleaner. I looked at the Dyson DC31 which seems to be the most powerful handheld cleaner, but it's very expensive at $260 or so (the Animal version).

What do you think ? Is it worth it ? Any alternatives ?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 07:48 AM   #2
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

I have 2 of these Dysons and they are not really good for cars. The charge does not last long enough to do an entire car, even if its pretty clean to start with. The design can't get into tight places at all. I bought the Dyson with the intent of using it on my cars, but in the cold, it won't even charge in the garage. I use them in my house now for quick pickups and doing my steps...that's all they're really good for.

For my garage, I bought a Bissell Garage Pro Wet/Dry Vacuum, 18P0. It hangs on the wall, picks up anything, and has an attachment for just about anything. I can't believe a 32' hose could work so well, but it does.
      05-20-2010, 08:07 AM   #3
cstavaru
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i M Sport Sedan 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
I have 2 of these Dysons and they are not really good for cars. The charge does not last long enough to do an entire car, even if its pretty clean to start with. The design can't get into tight places at all. I bought the Dyson with the intent of using it on my cars, but in the cold, it won't even charge in the garage. I use them in my house now for quick pickups and doing my steps...that's all they're really good for.

For my garage, I bought a Bissell Garage Pro Wet/Dry Vacuum, 18P0. It hangs on the wall, picks up anything, and has an attachment for just about anything. I can't believe a 32' hose could work so well, but it does.
The problem is, I don't have a garage so I don't have any means to use a corded vacuum cleaner.

I read there is an extension hose available for the handheld Dyson...maybe that can help ?

But how about the power ? Does it have enough suction power ?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 08:25 AM   #4
Bimmerdriver17
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstavaru View Post
Hi,

I am looking for a good portable vacuum cleaner for my car. I want a powerful but either rechargeable or car battery operated cleaner. I looked at the Dyson DC31 which seems to be the most powerful handheld cleaner, but it's very expensive at $260 or so (the Animal version).

What do you think ? Is it worth it ? Any alternatives ?
I got one as a gift. This thing is awesome. Pretty expensive. Only think is it only holds the charge for like 5 mins, if that.
2007 E92 6MT SOLD
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 12:43 PM   #5
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstavaru View Post
The problem is, I don't have a garage so I don't have any means to use a corded vacuum cleaner.

I read there is an extension hose available for the handheld Dyson...maybe that can help ?

But how about the power ? Does it have enough suction power ?
The Dyson would definitely have enough power, if only it would hold a charge longer (or recharge quicker). An hose would help get into small areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennychopra17 View Post
I got one as a gift. This thing is awesome. Pretty expensive. Only think is it only holds the charge for like 5 mins, if that.
Yeah, it is awesome, but you've got to be REAL quick!