E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Swirl desperation.....

05-21-2010, 08:24 AM   #1
clairvoyant
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bavarian Manure Wagon (BMW)

Garage List
2007 335i  [5.24]
Question Swirl desperation.....

You probably read some of my email regarding my desperate attempts to remove swirl marks on my car.
It is a CPO car so there is not much telling what the car has gone through before.
I used a Porter Cable 7424, orange pads, and Wolfgang Total swirl remover but no go after 5-6 passes at 5000-6000 rpm.
What are the best fillers for hiding swirl marks out there, something that last longer?
I've heard resin based fillers to conceal those swirl marks in some sort.
I am looking for something safe here. Thank You
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 08:53 AM   #2
mike3000fl
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

i wouldnt fill them, the swirls are probably deeper than what the swirl remover can handle. i would move up to a fine cut polish, see if that gets them out, if it does great, then after that if you see any sign of them you can use your finer swirl remover and then wax or seal.

if the fine cut doesnt do it, hit it with a medium cut polish and then fine cut then optional swirl remover if there is any sign of them left and then seal or wax.

sucks dick but it will look nice after.

one method that has worked for me is using the wife, when we got married i explain that we become one... we become me... so just tell her today we are doing the car. you run the buffer, she can use the microfiber cloths to buff it out behind ya. you just increased your productivity by 100 percent and cut time by 50%
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 09:08 AM   #3
clairvoyant
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bavarian Manure Wagon (BMW)

Garage List
2007 335i  [5.24]
What fine cut products do you recommend? Thank You

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3000fl View Post
i wouldnt fill them, the swirls are probably deeper than what the swirl remover can handle. i would move up to a fine cut polish, see if that gets them out, if it does great, then after that if you see any sign of them you can use your finer swirl remover and then wax or seal.

if the fine cut doesnt do it, hit it with a medium cut polish and then fine cut then optional swirl remover if there is any sign of them left and then seal or wax.

sucks dick but it will look nice after.

one method that has worked for me is using the wife, when we got married i explain that we become one... we become me... so just tell her today we are doing the car. you run the buffer, she can use the microfiber cloths to buff it out behind ya. you just increased your productivity by 100 percent and cut time by 50%
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 09:23 AM   #4
zaxjax
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 Crimson Red 335i

Garage List
2008 335i  [9.00]
It sounds like you need a rotary or have a professional detailer polish it for you.
      05-21-2010, 09:56 AM   #5
Darkstar752
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2005 Grand Cherokee

Pick up some M105 before going to a professional detailer, it's pretty cheap. You are also able to control the level of cut since it is a non-diminishing abrasive, meaning that the amount it abrades is controlled by the amount of pressure rather than having it break down into finer abrasives. Then follow up with a lighter polish.

Also, consider this, make sure you are not adding to the swirls by being too aggressive. Some paints are like butter, and if you try to aggressively it will look like you didn't remove anything, but you are actually just scratching it up since your combo is too aggressive. Also, make sure you are completely breaking down the polish since the Wolfgang Swirl Remover(3.0) is a diminishing abrasive, meaning it cuts less the more you work it in, refining the finish.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 12:51 PM   #6
SSBMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstar752 View Post
Pick up some M105 before going to a professional detailer, it's pretty cheap. You are also able to control the level of cut since it is a non-diminishing abrasive, meaning that the amount it abrades is controlled by the amount of pressure rather than having it break down into finer abrasives. Then follow up with a lighter polish.

Also, consider this, make sure you are not adding to the swirls by being too aggressive. Some paints are like butter, and if you try to aggressively it will look like you didn't remove anything, but you are actually just scratching it up since your combo is too aggressive. Also, make sure you are completely breaking down the polish since the Wolfgang Swirl Remover(3.0) is a diminishing abrasive, meaning it cuts less the more you work it in, refining the finish.

^ This is a good starting point. If you still can't remove them after trying this you may want to try some Menz Power Gloss S34A w/ a yellow ccs pad. Just remember that PG was designed for circular rotary's but it will work with a DA, it just will take a longer working time. You can finish up with some Menzerna Polish PO85RD with a Blue CCS pad for some depth.

Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 01:52 PM   #7
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstar752 View Post

Good advice. What color is your car? That makes a big difference in polish/pad selection. Starting with the least aggressive method is good (and sounds like what you're doing), but I think you need to step up to something with a little more cut to get the results you're looking for.

You might want to try the M105 as suggested above, or some Menzerna SIP. If the swirls are numerous but not too severe, PO203S would be a very good choice.

If you can give us some extra information (paint color) and a full sun picture or two, we can give you a better recommendation.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 03:25 PM   #8
DetailAddict
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328i

meg and menz are good start as above have mentioned...

btw, any pics?
Appreciate 0