E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > washing my car often bad??

05-21-2010, 05:10 PM   #1
vietmike101
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 328i

washing my car often bad??

Hi E90ers.. long time viewer, first time poster. I like to keep my car clean.i plan on waxing/detailing my car 3 times a year. i was thinking of washing my car every week. Will this ruin my paint or wax? I heard people saying that by washing my car often, its washing off the wax of the car. Should i not wash it every week?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 05:35 PM   #2
m.d.
Rep
Drives: E93 335is

I'm no expert, but I do weekly washing on my wife's gray 4 Runner without any troubles. I have always read that with a good wax/sealant on the paint and a mild car wash it should not strip the wax. I usually wash it every 1-2 weeks and do a full polish/wax 4 times a year. I use Zaino products and according to them, their car wash (Z-7) does not strip their wax.

I know there's some experts on here that can lend their vast knowledge to this post...
      05-21-2010, 10:17 PM   #3
Sooners335i
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335i

If you use a quality soap designed for washing cars, it will not strip the wax. Washing your car with something like Dawn dishwashing soap will strip the wax. There's nothing wrong with washing on a weekly basis. This will actually help to ensure the paint remains in good condition for longer by removing contaminants that may cause harm to the finish. If you don't keep it clean, things like bird droppings will etch the finish. Just make sure you have good washing technique so you're not introducing swirls into the paint.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2010, 12:42 AM   #4
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooners335i View Post
If you use a quality soap designed for washing cars, it will not strip the wax. Washing your car with something like Dawn dishwashing soap will strip the wax. There's nothing wrong with washing on a weekly basis. This will actually help to ensure the paint remains in good condition for longer by removing contaminants that may cause harm to the finish. If you don't keep it clean, things like bird droppings will etch the finish. Just make sure you have good washing technique so you're not introducing swirls into the paint.
Good advice, especially that last part.

DI has a great article on proper washing technique, check it out here.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2010, 11:28 AM   #5
Dackz
Hates Speed Limits
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooners335i View Post

No joke...my roomate is looking at cars to buy, used ones, and man, they are HIDDEOUSLY swirlled. Technique on washing plays a large part of it I am sure. Its amazing what people tolerate their cars to look like.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2010, 04:23 PM   #6
tracerit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 BRZ Limited 6MT

what technique are we referring to? no washing in circles but left and right?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2010, 06:23 PM   #7
Sooners335i
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracerit View Post
what technique are we referring to? no washing in circles but left and right?
There's an endless list of ways to reduce the chance of swirls:
-Two bucket method or at least a grit guard if using only one bucket
-Washing from the top down, so you save the dirtiest parts for last
-Maybe have two wash pads, one for the top two-thirds and one for the bottom third
-Separate brush for the wheels
-Don't use towels on your paint that you use on your wheels
-Start with a foam gun to loosen and help remove dirt

And the list goes on.

Detailed Image has a good article on proper washing and drying.
http://www.detailedimage.com/Auto-De...ng-and-Drying/
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2010, 04:25 AM   #8
ZSP.3R
Montreal R-Spec
Germany
Rep
Drives: 'O6 330i Sport Package

Once or twice a week for me. Depends when it rains...

▀▄ 'O6 330i | 6MT | Sport Package | Black Sapphire Metallic | Aluminum Trim | Black Dakota Leather | H&R Sport Cupkit | AFE Intake | Matte Black (Dipped)162's - BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW | 18mm Rear Spacers | ECS CF/Aluminum Strut Bar | M3 Sways | Depo Blacklines |
Appreciate 0