E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Help! Strange sound when accelerating

11-12-2012, 09:18 AM   #1
slider86
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 ZCP 6MT, 2021 M2C 6MT

Unhappy Help! Strange sound when accelerating

Hi guys,

I've been getting some strange noises when accelerating lately. It's kind of an ocsillating sound, not the knocking-type sound, nor is it constant... but it sort of sounds like a sound that peaks then goes away, and it cycles through until I get to higher rpms. The lower the rpm, the more pronounced the noise is, and it's not noticable at higher rpms (over 3500-4000). The sound actually gets louder as the engine warms up, and more so if it's cold outside. It's not very noticable to begin with, but it's not something I've heard in the car before, so it's a cause of concern for me.

Some other information:

- 2008 328xi e92

- I cannot notice the sound if I push the gas in while the car is in neutral. This would leave me to think the sound is associated with the drivetrain other than the engine, maybe the wheel bearings?

- I've had the lifter ticking recently, and my engine is pretty loud when I lift it up to hear the sound after the car's warmed up. Could the oscillation effect of the sound that I'm hearing in the cabin be related to this?

- I've recently had an oil change. Possibly just subpar oil?

- I've recently noticed that my left rear brake clip is missing. I think it's very unlikely that this would be the cause of the sound, but is it possible?

- Car had 2-3 rough starts in some fairly cold weather in one day. Was back to normal the next, albeit a little bit warmer the next day. Maybe bad gas/oil?

- Still under same battery since 2008. Probably has nothing to do with it but just throwing it out there.

I'm still under CPO, but since they don't fix anything unless you are sure something is wrong and can prove it to them, I'm afraid that I'll be left with a massive bill on my hands after the CPO warranty expires.

Please help!
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 09:32 AM   #2
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 "325i"

I have the same thing happen to my car usually during colder weather or when I drive short distances for an extended period of time. For me it happens below 3000 rpm when I let go of the gas then I go back on really fast, It sounds almost like a rattle coming from the engine. My best bet is that it could be the valves but it doesn't sound like anything to worry about.
Koni special active red, eibach pro-kit springs, Remus exhaust, stage 3 intake manifold,Stage 2 AA tune, BMW Short shift kit. Silicon intake pipe. M3 control arms front, M3 rear. ECS trailing arm with whiteline bushings. Purple powerflex subframe bushings. Yellow power flex upper shock mounts. Single mass flywheel OE weight.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 10:39 AM   #3
slider86
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerxq View Post
I have the same thing happen to my car usually during colder weather or when I drive short distances for an extended period of time. For me it happens below 3000 rpm when I let go of the gas then I go back on really fast, It sounds almost like a rattle coming from the engine. My best bet is that it could be the valves but it doesn't sound like anything to worry about.
Hey, thanks for the reply.

My sound is pretty much from the getgo - I don't think my driving style actively triggers it like it does in your situation.

Does yours sound sorta like a marble spinning in a can, not a constant sound, but more like a coming and going type deal?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 11:58 AM   #4
slider86
Lieutenant
Rep

bump!
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 11:59 AM   #5
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 "325i"

Quote:
Originally Posted by slider86 View Post
Hey, thanks for the reply.

My sound is pretty much from the getgo - I don't think my driving style actively triggers it like it does in your situation.

Does yours sound sorta like a marble spinning in a can, not a constant sound, but more like a coming and going type deal?
Yea you kind of got the sound down. When I open the car up usually every annoying thing about it goes away, including valve ticking. But with coming winter months I will br forced to drive like a normal person and the sounds will stick with the car for the duration.
Koni special active red, eibach pro-kit springs, Remus exhaust, stage 3 intake manifold,Stage 2 AA tune, BMW Short shift kit. Silicon intake pipe. M3 control arms front, M3 rear. ECS trailing arm with whiteline bushings. Purple powerflex subframe bushings. Yellow power flex upper shock mounts. Single mass flywheel OE weight.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 06:45 PM   #6
slider86
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerxq View Post
Yea you kind of got the sound down. When I open the car up usually every annoying thing about it goes away, including valve ticking. But with coming winter months I will br forced to drive like a normal person and the sounds will stick with the car for the duration.
bump, anyone else with our issue as well?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 08:38 AM   #7
slider86
Lieutenant
Rep

bump, hoping someone else had this issue and was able to diagnose/fix.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 03:05 PM   #8
kppanic
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 Macan S

Have you solved it yet?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 10:03 PM   #9
slider86
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kppanic View Post
Have you solved it yet?
You have an F30, better off posting this in the F30 forums, since we don't share the same engine.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 11:16 PM   #10
kppanic
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by slider86 View Post
You have an F30, better off posting this in the F30 forums, since we don't share the same engine.
This would leave me to think the sound is associated with the drivetrain other than the engine, maybe the wheel bearings?

Just wanted to check, in case it has nothing to do with the engine itself, borrowing your words.
Appreciate 0