E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > After the accident, I was thinking deeply...........

01-15-2015, 12:31 AM   #1
neyshule
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328XI

After the accident, I was thinking deeply...........

What is the best jacking solution?? Here is what I thought.
FW = front wheel, RW = rear wheel

1.FW ramp + RW jack stands => not stable, unless you have ramps with chock capability.
2.FW ramp + RW ramp in opposite direction => should be quite safe, problem is you need to jack higher in order to put the ramp under your wheel due to suspension range, you should make your rear wheel on ramp first and jack up your front. DO NOT JACK YOUR REAR HIGHER THEN FRONT WHEN YOU FRONT WHEEL ARE ON THE RAMP, IT WILL SLIDE!!
3.FW jack stands+ RW ramp => should also be very safe, the problem is for low profile car, it's probably difficult to jack up your front after your rear is up.
4.FW jack stands+ RW jack stands => The most common case, I was thinking if I jack up one end really high like 20'' (front or end) and then begin to jack the other end, will it cause any problem like lean and crash?

In other words: if you have ramps with strong stop capability, everything should be fine; but with normal Rhino ramp like mine bought from Amazon, please think carefully before work! It's only fine for engine oil in my opinion!

For floor jack, always make sure its wheel in the right direction so it can move freely.

Conclusion: If you have good ramps with stop capability and they are high enough, no doubt it's the best choice for transmission fluid change, transfer case fluid change, etc. But common ramps tend to be low without any brake function, and good ones are way expensive.
If using jack stands, I think the only problem is the process of jacking up your car, once they are under your jack pads it's fine.

At last: PLZ don't try to save money on jack stands/floor jacks/ramps. I'm a poor guy but I won't save my money on these things.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm willing to hear your suggestions. Thanks.

Last edited by neyshule; 01-15-2015 at 12:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2015, 12:46 AM   #2
mojobmw_e90
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 E63S

4 is fine.I do it all the time.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 11:18 AM   #3
beetle6986
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi, E70 X5 50, 04 Cobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by neyshule View Post
What is the best jacking solution?? Here is what I thought.
FW = front wheel, RW = rear wheel

1.FW ramp + RW jack stands => not stable, unless you have ramps with chock capability.
2.FW ramp + RW ramp in opposite direction => should be quite safe, problem is you need to jack higher in order to put the ramp under your wheel due to suspension range, you should make your rear wheel on ramp first and jack up your front. DO NOT JACK YOUR REAR HIGHER THEN FRONT WHEN YOU FRONT WHEEL ARE ON THE RAMP, IT WILL SLIDE!!
3.FW jack stands+ RW ramp => should also be very safe, the problem is for low profile car, it's probably difficult to jack up your front after your rear is up.
4.FW jack stands+ RW jack stands => The most common case, I was thinking if I jack up one end really high like 20'' (front or end) and then begin to jack the other end, will it cause any problem like lean and crash?

In other words: if you have ramps with strong stop capability, everything should be fine; but with normal Rhino ramp like mine bought from Amazon, please think carefully before work! It's only fine for engine oil in my opinion!

For floor jack, always make sure its wheel in the right direction so it can move freely.

Conclusion: If you have good ramps with stop capability and they are high enough, no doubt it's the best choice for transmission fluid change, transfer case fluid change, etc. But common ramps tend to be low without any brake function, and good ones are way expensive.
If using jack stands, I think the only problem is the process of jacking up your car, once they are under your jack pads it's fine.

At last: PLZ don't try to save money on jack stands/floor jacks/ramps. I'm a poor guy but I won't save my money on these things.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm willing to hear your suggestions. Thanks.
Only do #4. Ramps are only intended to be used when one end of the car is off the ground. My ramps have a 1 inch notch to keep the car from rolling off. However, I would still never lift the other end. I use Jack stands all the time when raising the entire car. You can get them pretty cheap.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 06:07 PM   #4
dsjr2006
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 E39 540iA, '09 E90 M3

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2001 BMW 540i  [0.00]
Use jack stands, they're made for it. Ramps are mean't to be used as a pair and no more.
      03-13-2015, 05:51 PM   #5
07lilredwagon
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 328 wagon

I got the ramps initially to drive up on, then jack the back up and put it on jack stands, then jack the front higher and put that on jack stands...then.....

it was too much...so I got a nice big low profile jack, lift the front end and put jack stands under it with pad and such at the mounting points, then jack up the back and put 2 more jack stands back there with pads.

This seems like the quickest and easiest way to lift the whole car with what I have.

Ill use the ramps from there if the jack stands are in the way for some reason but so far so good. My ramps come apart and have wheel stops that pop up when they do. ( not a bad feature)

Im planning on getting a car lift...cant wait for that!

JP
Appreciate 0