E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > FrankenTurbo

Closed Thread

02-24-2016, 05:52 AM   #89
bigdnno98
Real Car Enthusiast
Germany
Rep
Drives: 340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug@frankenturbo
After the false start with an incompatible OBD cable, we're on track now with the MHD Android application. To start, I went with what's cheap...uh, free. I downloaded the MHD flash files linked by BMS in this thread and found the appropriate one for the car's IJE0S version type. After switching the JB4 into Map 0 for passive mode, I loaded the file labeled "Pump" onto the car's DME.

After about a half-hour of flashing, the car was ready to try out. Because the previous logging data showed a shortfall in actual boost, I wanted to try upping the boost command level even higher. Perhaps "doubling down" on the commands might tease a bit more solenoid duty from the control system. Here are the logs of this new configuration:

The standout data points are boost and ignition timing. This latest version of a JB4 Map 6 is clearly asking for more boost than the hardware can develop. And the ignition timing map is very clean with zero corrections. Here are side-by-sides of the Pump Gas map's data compared to those from the stock DME.

So overall the new DME mapping is resulting in better-looking data. And the car feels plenty quick through the 4200-6500rpm sweep. In fact, it's at its fastest level yet:

I was interested, though, in how the new timing map might impact the low end. Reduced timing before 3000rpms is oftentimes good for spooling up the turbos. But it costs torque development. Would that show up in the Time-to-Speed metric?

Yes it does. The car's sub-3000rpm performance has taken a hit. But the new calibration is unmistakably making up for it in the midrange. And the timing pull that was nettling the DME on stock mapping is now eradicated.

Next up: more hardware changes. It's time to explore exhaust mods.

Great work. Keep it up. Are you going to post info on the hardware you're using? Links and prices?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 11:01 AM   #90
patsbimmer1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 SSii M3

Excellent info! I have a lot of friends in the VAG scene and am very familiar with your products. It's great for me to read through your development process. You often don't get a chance to see why something is done a certain way. Nice job!
Appreciate 1
      02-24-2016, 10:55 PM   #91
PORTMOODY
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Coal Roller

very well documented. People can read years worth of threads or just this one. Looking forward to the updates.
Appreciate 2
      02-25-2016, 05:06 PM   #92
bradsm87
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F25 LCI xDrive30d

When are you guys hoping to fit catless downpipes and measure exhaust backpressure?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2016, 08:38 PM   #93
doug@frankenturbo
United_States
Rep
Drives: the world mad with turbo-osity

Exhaust system mods underway. We went with VRSF 3" units. They are inexpensive, well-made & install just as they should. In other words, they are a great value for this kind of mod.

They didn't stay intact for long, however. Bungs for EGTs and back-pressures got added before the installation.

Side-by-sides

Installation

EGT probe post-turbine

With the primary cats gone there's no longer any rationale for monitoring temps at that location. So the probe now lives post-turbine... until the first modified turbos get fitted.

Appreciate 2
      02-25-2016, 08:44 PM   #94
sirdaft1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 & E90 WTCC Widebody Racecar

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug@frankenturbo View Post
Exhaust system mods underway. We went with VRSF 3" units. They are inexpensive, well-made & install just as they should. In other words, they are a great value for this kind of mod.

They didn't stay intact for long, however. Bungs for EGTs and back-pressures got added before the installation.

Side-by-sides

Installation

EGT probe post-turbine

With the primary cats gone there's no longer any rationale for monitoring temps at that location. So the probe now lives post-turbine... until the first modified turbos get fitted.

Those DP's really open up the exhaust flow. One of the best bang for the buck mods for the N54. Looking forward to seeing the data
Appreciate 1
      02-25-2016, 09:39 PM   #95
VinceCarbone
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel Toe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mposter View Post
Welcome Doug ,

In your intro you mentioned "performance and value". I wanted touch on a few things. As you mentioned there are other options available. In stock form the OEMs can provide well over 400 WHP with all the mods mentioned above in other posts known as FullBoltOn (FBO), which now includes inlets and outlets reaching 500 WHP (with E85).
So touching on price , the TD03 OEMs go for approximately (on special) $595 each on tischerbmw. So for $1200 we OEM quality.
Then VTTO offers TD03 OEM rebuilds with the wastegate fix and new actuators for $999.
Then there were TD04H options between $2400-$3500.
Now we are at TD04HL around $3500+.
Where are you trying to come in at? Are you trying offer a stock frame rebuild or are you offering a new manifold with new turbo options?
The reason I ask is because #1 wastegate rattle was out of hand, and #2 Most people who had to upgrade to RB or VTTO figured if they were spending X amount why not if it is plug and play. We were in warranty and wanted to look stock with all connections. Now that the platform has passed the warranty phase, and these cars can be picked up for $10,000 dollars , I have noticed that no one really cares now if the oil lines are custom or inlets or outlets do not look OEM.
We now fall into "performance and value."
So are you planning on going all out in the TD04HL form with a new exhaust manifold , inlets and outlets , down pipes, in the $2500 range? I assume downpipes because I think you would try to modify your in stock products to fit our cars.

Lastly I wanted to say thank you for sharing where you are currently learning.
Nobody is reaching 500whp on stock turbos on a tune they can actually drive everyday that won't blow the turbos in 1k miles. 460whp is really the upper limit for a daily map.
Ignoance at its finest.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2016, 09:41 PM   #96
VinceCarbone
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i e92

I already see a ton of problems. Cant wait to see the final "product"
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2016, 09:48 PM   #97
RobertRichy
First Lieutenant II I know enough to be dangerous
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 LCI N54 335xi

Doug- thanks for taking the time to document and share. I'm learning quite a bit just from observing.
2010 E90 LCI N54 335xi / AR DP's / KW V1 / Stoptech Slotted Rotors / SS lines / EBC Yellowstuff / Fuel-it stage 2 LPFP / Fuel-it Bluetooth Content Analyzer / ETS FMIC / VRSF CP / TurboSmart Dual Port Kompact kit / MHD / WEDGE E60 ProTune / CORSA Exhaust / Alpina TCU / VTT Outlets / MMP Inlets
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2016, 01:39 PM   #98
///Mposter
Macgyver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceCarbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel Toe
Quote:
Welcome Doug ,

In your intro you mentioned "performance and value". I wanted touch on a few things. As you mentioned there are other options available. In stock form the OEMs can provide well over 400 WHP with all the mods mentioned above in other posts known as FullBoltOn (FBO), which now includes inlets and outlets reaching 500 WHP (with E85).
So touching on price , the TD03 OEMs go for approximately (on special) $595 each on tischerbmw. So for $1200 we OEM quality.
Then VTTO offers TD03 OEM rebuilds with the wastegate fix and new actuators for $999.
Then there were TD04H options between $2400-$3500.
Now we are at TD04HL around $3500+.
Where are you trying to come in at? Are you trying offer a stock frame rebuild or are you offering a new manifold with new turbo options?
The reason I ask is because #1 wastegate rattle was out of hand, and #2 Most people who had to upgrade to RB or VTTO figured if they were spending X amount why not if it is plug and play. We were in warranty and wanted to look stock with all connections. Now that the platform has passed the warranty phase, and these cars can be picked up for $10,000 dollars , I have noticed that no one really cares now if the oil lines are custom or inlets or outlets do not look OEM.
We now fall into "performance and value."
So are you planning on going all out in the TD04HL form with a new exhaust manifold , inlets and outlets , down pipes, in the $2500 range? I assume downpipes because I think you would try to modify your in stock products to fit our cars.

Lastly I wanted to say thank you for sharing where you are currently learning.
Nobody is reaching 500whp on stock turbos on a tune they can actually drive everyday that won't blow the turbos in 1k miles. 460whp is really the upper limit for a daily map.
Ignoance at its finest.
Which is why you have a reputation of 3 and are hated on the other forums. I really do not care if it was me or the other quote you are talking about. If you have a problem with me , the other person, or what Doug has brought to the table, then you can just leave the thread. Take your negative views of the Turbo kits you do not like and put them where the sun doesn't shine.
Good day sir ...good day.
      02-26-2016, 03:34 PM   #99
Glennyd
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335

Ignorance

Good work Doug, some people justify there unhappiness by just shitting on everything around them. All we can do is smile and pray for those people . Keep up the good work
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2016, 03:36 PM   #100
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceCarbone View Post
I already see a ton of problems. Cant wait to see the final "product"
Go away troll, no one likes you.
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2016, 05:47 PM   #101
sirdaft1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 & E90 WTCC Widebody Racecar

Garage List
Quote:
Which is why you have a reputation of 3 and are hated on the other forums. I really do not care if it was me or the other quote you are talking about. If you have a problem with me , the other person, or what Doug has brought to the table, then you can just leave the thread. Take your negative views of the Turbo kits you do not like and put them where the sun doesn't shine.
Good day sir ...good day.
I took it as him quoting Heel Toe who said that no one is hitting 500whp on stock snails. In which case, I think we're on the edge of seeing that become more and more commonplace with the new inlet/outlet offerings. I could be wrong though.
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2016, 05:49 PM   #102
ThugzZ BunnY
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

I am loving this thread. will definitely be watching very closely now that my turbo seals are going out.

Inquiries: Andrew.Wise@bmwofchattanooga.com
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2016, 03:12 AM   #103
doug@frankenturbo
United_States
Rep

Before startup I'd feared the modified exhaust system would sound awful. Especially during the warm-up cycle. But after lowering the lift and turning it over I was happy. The exhaust note was not ruined. In fact it seemed to be simply a louder version of its old self. That suited me fine, so I grabbed the laptop and took the car straight to our top-secret testing spot. At wide open throttle the new system again presented itself attractively: a slightly more pronounced throatiness, but no rasp or sharpness.

So what of the exhaust system back-pressures? Did the removal of the primary cats change the readings? On the stock system the pressures went above 7psi. But with the upgraded down-pipes, we now have this:

Unmistakably the post-turbine pressures are lower. The exhaust system flows measurably better with those primary cats removed. But...here's the thing: the data logs aren't showing much of any benefit. Here are the principal data points:

And here are those same measurements weighed against those from the full exhaust system:

Air/fuel, ignition advance & boost duty are all identical between the pulls. And intake air temperatures are slightly in favor of the most recent pull. Nevertheless, actual boost falls off just as sharply as before. The other data point to the same thing. here is the time-to-speed chart:

But the most illustrative of them all is the 4200-6500rpm sweep. The time calculation for that comes in like so:

Exactly the same as the stock exhaust system delivered. In my view, for any hope of gains made by modifying the exhaust, ALL of the cats have to be removed.

We'll test for that next.

Last edited by doug@frankenturbo; 02-27-2016 at 03:18 AM..
Appreciate 2
      02-27-2016, 06:13 AM   #104
bigdnno98
Real Car Enthusiast
Germany
Rep
Drives: 340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug@frankenturbo
Before startup I'd feared the modified exhaust system would sound awful. Especially during the warm-up cycle. But after lowering the lift and turning it over I was happy. The exhaust note was not ruined. In fact it seemed to be simply a louder version of its old self. That suited me fine, so I grabbed the laptop and took the car straight to our top-secret testing spot. At wide open throttle the new system again presented itself attractively: a slightly more pronounced throatiness, but no rasp or sharpness.

So what of the exhaust system back-pressures? Did the removal of the primary cats change the readings? On the stock system the pressures went above 7psi. But with the upgraded down-pipes, we now have this:

Unmistakably the post-turbine pressures are lower. The exhaust system flows measurably better with those primary cats removed. But...here's the thing: the data logs aren't showing much of any benefit. Here are the principal data points:

And here are those same measurements weighed against those from the full exhaust system:

Air/fuel, ignition advance & boost duty are all identical between the pulls. And intake air temperatures are slightly in favor of the most recent pull. Nevertheless, actual boost falls off just as sharply as before. The other data point to the same thing. here is the time-to-speed chart:

But the most illustrative of them all is the 4200-6500rpm sweep. The time calculation for that comes in like so:

Exactly the same as the stock exhaust system delivered. In my view, for any hope of gains made by modifying the exhaust, ALL of the cats have to be removed.

In for that test. It's been assumed for a long time that gains from removing the secondary cats weren't enough to justify the rasp that it caused.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2016, 09:03 AM   #105
sudo4re
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is DCT

I for one, am glad that Doug is taking the time to test out these "upgrades". What happened to the 15-20 extra hp gain from just swapping in a set of catless kitties? Don't get me wrong, I'm running these kitties as well and frankly, I'm disappointed by Doug's results but at least my exhaust sounds meaner than before lol.

Looking forward to more testings and results
      02-28-2016, 08:09 PM   #106
c131frdave
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan

Thank you for making this thread. As a brand new 335i owner, I find it very informative and helpful. It's nice to see a methodic study of the car from scratch. The exhaust issue you've found sort of confirms my initial theory with the downpipe you chose to use as well. However, your readings might be misleading- if your sensor is in the 3" section of the pipe, Bernoulli's Principle dictates that the pressure here will be higher than if it were measured at the exit of the turbo, which I believe is 2.5". I'd be interested in a test with a pipe that was of consistent diameter from the turbo to further back in the system where the exhaust gas temperatures begin to fall off.
Appreciate 2
      02-28-2016, 08:18 PM   #107
mwahlert
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug@frankenturbo View Post

Fascinating work.
Since you already have MHD, it would be interesting to see the time comparisons in this state of hardware - backend flash/JB4 vs Stage 2 MHD flash.

Edit: I've been watching this platform evolve since late 07. It is refreshing to see someone new to the platform validate for himself what is considered "truth".

Last edited by mwahlert; 02-29-2016 at 09:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2016, 10:32 PM   #108
BMOEW
Lieutenant Colonel
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is AW

Great work! But why does everyone keep quoting every post with pics. Just useless and repetitive! Lol
2011 335IS Alpine White|Coral Red|DCT|BuraQ E60 Tune|DCI|VRSF 3" DownPipes| ER ChargePipe w/ HKS SSQV BOV|VRSF 7" FMIC|RB PCV| BMS Oil Catch Can|NGK 5992|AQUAMIST HFS-4 w/Twin Methanol Tank|Custom Exhaust| ST Coilovers| and a METAL FOOT
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2016, 11:26 PM   #109
V8bait
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6mt

You do realize the dme targets load, and flash tune/jb4 alike are effected by this right? So you measured a 2+psi drop in exhaust pressures, which is nice considering it's on both banks (what is that a 30% reduction?), and you now notice a drop in boost at the same wgdc due to an increase in airflow through the motor. You just proved what everybody already knows, downpipes make the same power at lower boost. Post turbine changes are different than pre turbine. Post turbine increase ve and make the turbos work harder, pre turbine help efficiency and reduce pressure drop.
Appreciate 1
      02-29-2016, 11:12 PM   #110
doug@frankenturbo
United_States
Rep

Secondary cats are now deleted, replaced with a pair of Vibrant resonators.

Resulting data in a bit.
Appreciate 1
Closed Thread