E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 2006 330xi won't turn over/ start

03-28-2015, 10:51 AM   #1
mcsrcool
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330xi

2006 330xi won't turn over/ start

Without warning, my 06 330xi won't start. the fuel pump comes up to pressure just no signal ?? to starter. Any thoughts? thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 06:45 AM   #2
gds52
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M Coupe, BMW 328i E93 Co

First thought dead battery.
By now you must have found what was wrong.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 10:32 AM   #3
Casca
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 6MT

I don't know if your starter is bad, have just been searching the forum for threads to see what signs of a starter going bad are as I think my starter is on it's last 1k to 5k miles or so. Getting ready to drop the transmission, so decided to just replace the starter as well.

Bought the car at 52k miles, it now has 139k miles on it. I have been noticing over the past 6 months when it got cold here in NorCal that occasionally when I hit start it does one of these:

-Startes fine like normal

-Does nothing for a longer than normal and then turns over fine and starts like normal

-Turns over, but sounds like the starter doesn't have enough torque and is struggling to get the motor going on the first turn, but then it starts fine (this one seems to be happening more).

-Turns over just a tiny bit slower than normal and engine starts fine.

I've been paying close attention each time I start for a few months now. Want to avoid being stuck and thinking there were no signs it was going out. I'm sure in many cases, there were signs. My battery is an OEM BMW battery and is less than a year old and registered.

I don't see any codes thrown just using normal OBDii scanner. This starter has at least 90k miles on it if not 140k, think I'll just swap it out before it completely fails.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 08:00 AM   #4
jeguth1s
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casca View Post
I don't know if your starter is bad, have just been searching the forum for threads to see what signs of a starter going bad are as I think my starter is on it's last 1k to 5k miles or so. Getting ready to drop the transmission, so decided to just replace the starter as well.

Bought the car at 52k miles, it now has 139k miles on it. I have been noticing over the past 6 months when it got cold here in NorCal that occasionally when I hit start it does one of these:

-Startes fine like normal

-Does nothing for a longer than normal and then turns over fine and starts like normal

-Turns over, but sounds like the starter doesn't have enough torque and is struggling to get the motor going on the first turn, but then it starts fine (this one seems to be happening more).

-Turns over just a tiny bit slower than normal and engine starts fine.

I've been paying close attention each time I start for a few months now. Want to avoid being stuck and thinking there were no signs it was going out. I'm sure in many cases, there were signs. My battery is an OEM BMW battery and is less than a year old and registered.

I don't see any codes thrown just using normal OBDii scanner. This starter has at least 90k miles on it if not 140k, think I'll just swap it out before it completely fails.
Be prepared, it will fail. I pressed my luck to. Carry around a 2+ ft breaker bar. When it does fail, remove the cowling and stick the bar in between the manifold and tap the starter while someone presses the start button. Worked for me to start up and get home. I had the starter waiting for me in my garage
      04-06-2015, 08:04 AM   #5
jeguth1s
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsrcool View Post
Without warning, my 06 330xi won't start. the fuel pump comes up to pressure just no signal ?? to starter. Any thoughts? thanks in advance.
Had this happen to me as well 2 yrs ago. I had a new battery. Car would crank but not turn over. I checked the fuel pressure at the rail and all was good. Fuel pump was fine. Tried for roughly 3 days. one morning i let it crank longer than i usually would and pumped the gas pedal. It finally fired. Still don't know what happened but haven't had it happen since.