E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > How to pick up rims from U.S without geting raped?

02-21-2013, 06:38 PM   #1
skip2mylou123
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi

How to pick up rims from U.S without geting raped?

Hey guys,

I'm planning to order a set of VMR wheels from EAS. I was thinking of getting the wheels shipped to a warehouse near the border (i.e. CBI USA) and then cross the border myself to pick them up. However, I'm not sure how much I'll have to pay when I come back to the border. I've been doing a lot of research on this forum, and I cant seem to find a consensus. Some people say you only pay HST..some say you only pay the duty. I've asked the sales representative from EAS and they said that they'll be willing to declare the wheels at a low amount just in case. Would that help save me some money?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 07:00 PM   #2
M3Tuner44
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Yea they need to declare a lower price for the wheels or pick them up at a shipping location on the other side of the border and pick them up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip2mylou123 View Post
Hey guys,

I'm planning to order a set of VMR wheels from EAS. I was thinking of getting the wheels shipped to a warehouse near the border (i.e. CBI USA) and then cross the border myself to pick them up. However, I'm not sure how much I'll have to pay when I come back to the border. I've been doing a lot of research on this forum, and I cant seem to find a consensus. Some people say you only pay HST..some say you only pay the duty. I've asked the sales representative from EAS and they said that they'll be willing to declare the wheels at a low amount just in case. Would that help save me some money?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 07:02 PM   #3
bolty
/r/trees
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 335xi

I looked into this last year.

You will at minimim pay 13 percent for HST. On top of that, the duty for auto parts was 6 percent for goods not manufactured in the USA. If they are picky, they will nail you for the 6 percent duty. If your lucky, you'll just get away with only paying the HST.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 07:08 PM   #4
crzylildude
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Garage List
Why not when you pickup ... get the new wheels mounted and just leave your old once behind... or find a buyer for the old ones...
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 08:09 PM   #5
skip2mylou123
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzylildude View Post
Why not when you pickup ... get the new wheels mounted and just leave your old once behind... or find a buyer for the old ones...
I was thinking of doing this as well. However I need to bring my old rims back so I can sell it. But if I bring my old rims back..then I still need to declare it.
My friend told me this idea where I can just have them mounted in the states, then bring my old wheels back and when I'm at the border I'll just say that I bought "used" rims from a private seller in buffalo. I'll just give them a BS amount for the price I paid (i.e. $300) and just pay the HST for $300. But the problem with this is that they may ask me for the sellers phone number..then I'll be fuked...lol
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 08:10 PM   #6
bulldog_yyc
Major General
Rep
Drives: GT3RS

I imported several sets of rims for my E90 and only paid taxes. Just declare it and show them a bill of sale or something like an invoice and they generally wont slap you with the duty.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 08:16 PM   #7
skip2mylou123
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog x6 View Post
I imported several sets of rims for my E90 and only paid taxes. Just declare it and show them a bill of sale or something like an invoice and they generally wont slap you with the duty.
Hey thanks a lot! So do you usually tell the seller to declare a low amount? and then show the guys at the border the invoice and vola done? so HST just 13%? I was thinking of just getting EAS to declare something like $400 and pay around 40 dollars for tax.. lol
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 08:48 PM   #8
crzylildude
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I was thinking of doing this as well. However I need to bring my old rims back so I can sell it. But if I bring my old rims back..then I still need to declare it.
My friend told me this idea where I can just have them mounted in the states, then bring my old wheels back and when I'm at the border I'll just say that I bought "used" rims from a private seller in buffalo. I'll just give them a BS amount for the price I paid (i.e. $300) and just pay the HST for $300. But the problem with this is that they may ask me for the sellers phone number..then I'll be fuked...lol
You can say you bought the old rims from a friend or a used car parts... atlease you pay less...
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 08:55 PM   #9
skip2mylou123
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You can say you bought the old rims from a friend or a used car parts... atlease you pay less...
yea I thought of that too, But the thing is if they want to be picky they can ask for the person's phone number etc, and I cant just give them a random person's phone number, it's got to be a valid U.S buffalo number which I dont have. Haha This is such a pain in the ass...but I just cant justify paying the higher price in Canada
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 09:00 PM   #10
crzylildude
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
yea I thought of that too, But the thing is if they want to be picky they can ask for the person's phone number etc, and I cant just give them a random person's phone number, it's got to be a valid U.S buffalo number which I dont have. Haha This is such a pain in the ass...but I just cant justify paying the higher price in Canada
Ask one of the shops sales to help you with used wheels scenario .... and try to be positive... you are being paranoid right now... no matter what with the used wheel scenario you will save a bit of money... that's the whole point of this right?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 11:36 PM   #11
shaginwagon13
Chartered Accountant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Coupe

Quote:
+1

Or put your new rims on and have the shop make you an invoice for the old rims for $50 sold as is. You'll pay the tax on the $50 which will be a couple bucks at the most and just say you got them for a steal of a price and are gonna use them for winter rims next year.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 12:27 AM   #12
skip2mylou123
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaginwagon13 View Post
+1

Or put your new rims on and have the shop make you an invoice for the old rims for $50 sold as is. You'll pay the tax on the $50 which will be a couple bucks at the most and just say you got them for a steal of a price and are gonna use them for winter rims next year.
hmm sounds like a good plan. Do any of you guys know any good reputable shops near the border willing to do this? LOL. Anyways thanks a lot guys. You guys are amazing!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 12:30 AM   #13
shaginwagon13
Chartered Accountant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Coupe

Quote:
hmm sounds like a good plan. Do any of you guys know any good reputable shops near the border willing to do this? LOL. Anyways thanks a lot guys. You guys are amazing!
Any shop in buffalo will do it.... they get 90% of their customers from us Ontario guys because its that much cheaper to head down and get tires/rims as opposed to buying them up here.

Here are some close to the border:

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&bav...&ved=0CLIBELYD
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 03:14 AM   #14
Dr. G
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black e92 335i

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
Remember, you're doing all this stressing and worrying to save $13 for every $100 you lie about, is it worth it?
JB4 / OSS Angel Eyes / Downpipes / F1-Racewerks FMIC / Custom Meth Kit / BMS DCI / ER Chargepipe / HKS BOV / BMS Meth Elbow / BMW Performance Exhaust / Carbon Fiber Inlay Quad Tips / 19" Miro 111 / Front Aero Lip / M3 Sides / VRS CSL Trunk / Mtech Rear / DD CF Quad Finned Diffuser / LCI Tails / BBK / Smoked Reflectors / F1 Euphoria LED Interior / License LED's / GT 5000k Corners / 5000k HID Fogs / Air Scoops / LED Turn Signals / FK Silverline Coilovers / HPA endlinks / Vibrant Resonators / Osram CBI 5000k D1S
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 04:12 AM   #15
Spensaur
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 328i

Garage List
Thought you were literally talking about getting "raped"
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 06:11 AM   #16
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

If the wheels were HRE or BBS, then I agree with the title. For VMR wheels, not so at all.

Besides, there are so many vendors in GTA sell VMR wheels and they are relatively priced competitive. Once you factored in your gas, time, inconvenience @ border ... is it worth it ?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 08:59 AM   #17
Yvette
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M

just pay tax *hst and call it a day
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 09:01 AM   #18
bulldog_yyc
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. G View Post
Remember, you're doing all this stressing and worrying to save $13 for every $100 you lie about, is it worth it?
very very good point
lesson of the day is to be honest and reasonable as the downside is much worse than the $50-$100 you might save
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 09:02 AM   #19
bulldog_yyc
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
If the wheels were HRE or BBS, then I agree with the title. For VMR wheels, not so at all.

Besides, there are so many vendors in GTA sell VMR wheels and they are relatively priced competitive. Once you factored in your gas, time, inconvenience @ border ... is it worth it ?
in your experience, who has the best pricing for VMRs? Send me a PM if possible - thx.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 09:03 AM   #20
bulldog_yyc
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Hey thanks a lot! So do you usually tell the seller to declare a low amount? and then show the guys at the border the invoice and vola done? so HST just 13%? I was thinking of just getting EAS to declare something like $400 and pay around 40 dollars for tax.. lol
you have to declare something that is reasonable and show proof with an invoice - thats my only advice
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 09:03 AM   #21
OEMconcept
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post

I completely agree. Not because I'm a wheel vendor pushing for sales, but we have a good understanding what our competitions prices are and at the end of the day once you get those wheels back to your house and you calculate your total cost, it'll be more than the price we sell for with a lot less hassle. Send me a PM with the quote you received from another vendor and I'll be more than happy to break it down for you.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 09:10 AM   #22
BMWWW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Boarder trips are never worth it for just one product/shipment.
If you're a hoarder and accumulate half a year's worth of US-shipments... you'll save a ton!

When called an idiot sometimes is better to be quiet than to open mouth and remove all doubt.
Man who walk through airport turnstile sideways going to Bangkok.
--Confucius

Appreciate 0