E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Struts and Shocks replacement - Parts list

06-01-2015, 01:16 PM   #1
szymek
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Struts and Shocks replacement - Parts list

Hi all - i posted this question on another forum but have not had much feedback. I hope that i'm ok with posting the same question on thsi forum.

Both my Struts and shocks are due for replacement. I've set my mind on Bilstein B4 - as it appears that this is equivalent to OEM - I am just ordinary driver and can't justify cost to upgrade to Bilstein HD as a lot seem to recommend.

I can't seem to determine whether i have standard or sport suspension as i'm not original owner. But i looked at currenl part numbers and can't seem to confirm.

Currently my front Left strut is: 3131 6771179 01 and rear shocks are: 3352 6771729 01. is this from standard or sport suspension?

I am not planning on replacing / rebuilding entire suspension - but is there anything that I should replace when I i change struts and shocks? bump stop? stabilizer link? mounts? etc...?

i plan on placing order once i confirm the parts list - i would really appreciate if you could help me finalize parts list that i should order other than struts and shocks.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 02:11 PM   #2
rulonger
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d E90 & 2010 328i E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by szymek View Post
HI can't seem to determine whether i have standard or sport suspension as i'm not original owner. But i looked at current part numbers and can't seem to confirm.
Go to bmwvin and put in the last seven digits of your VIN number. It will show if you have a sport suspension (ZSP) or not.
Appreciate 1
      06-01-2015, 02:39 PM   #3
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325XI

Rear:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...63#33526771729

Front:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/partxref?q=31316771179

Superseded by this:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...94#31316786003

Both show Sport or M-sport suspension
Appreciate 1
      06-01-2015, 04:38 PM   #4
gabylonfive
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 M3, 05 Elise

replace your bump stops and spring pads for sure as those are probably toast. I'd probably also replace the dust caps for the front strut mount bearings if you plan on reusing them (though i'd replace the mounts since they are cheap and the bearings don't last forever.) I'd also suggest you replace your rear upper and lower shock mounts but you could probably get by without them.

You can probably get away with re-using the rest of your hardware (spring plates, washers, nuts/bolts, etc.)
Appreciate 1
      06-01-2015, 05:25 PM   #5
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

Another forum? Heresy!
Appreciate 1
      06-01-2015, 07:19 PM   #6
szymek
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

I went to bmwvin and confirmed that this car has sports suspension - "226 SPORTS SUSPENSION SETTINGS ". This is very neat tool - it listed all the options that the original owner picked - very cool.

Looking at realoem i confirmed they used Sachs struts and shocks. Would it be good idea to go with Sachs? or should i stay with Bilstein B4 as i originally planned? Struts are about the same price, but seems that shocks are about 70 more each. Is it worth spending extra 140 and go with Sachs???

gobylonfive - thank you for the recommended list. Should i also replace stabilizer links?

Fundguy1 - i am sorry. i'm sticking to this forum from now on. But i was honest as i know some forums don't like that.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 11:14 AM   #7
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep

This is assuming you plan to keep your car for a while, i.e. you are expecting the related components to last the life time of the new shocks/struts

On front from link:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=31_0716

#6, gasket, was missing on mine from factory, also 2006 build
#1, Upper Mount, don't need to pay for BMW, lemforder or Rein or similar brand will be fine. One of these are anyway probably the OEM provider
#2, self locking nuts for the upper mounts, 6 of these total
#7 dust cover for the mount bearing
#9 Spring upper plate, this one depends on how much rusted the existing one is. But it is not very expensive
#11 Bump stop
#12 Dust cover

The spring pads in my experience were fine.

#4, self lucking nut for the strut rod should come new with the new struts, otherwise needs replacement.

For rears, from this link:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...63#33526771729

#4, supporting cup, will be highly rusted inside from my experience
#3, Bump stop with cover

#5 is a good idea to replace, but mine wasn't in bad condition.

Same goes for #7 and #6.

Optional, depends on the condition of current ones, #5 from below link, the lower shock mount, again doesn't have to be the one with BMW logo on it:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=33_1230

You may want to get new #6, screws for those also. If reusing existing ones, I suggest blue locktite on them.

Also I suggest not removing the strut tower braces while replacing front struts. You can work on the nut that is under the tower brace with an open ended wrench. The reason I am saying this, the bolts that secure the strut tower braces are one time use, they are torqued to yield, gets stretched. Ideally you should get new bolts as replacement once removed, two on sides one on center.

There is a good video at Bavarian Auto Sports that shows replacement of struts on E90, he does the same.

The sway bar link nut attaching to the strut is also supposed to be replaced new, since it is a self locking kind, but I reused mine.
Appreciate 1
e90yyc2425.00
      06-02-2015, 11:24 AM   #8
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by szymek View Post
Should i also replace stabilizer links?
No need to replace them unless they have extra play or sticking, causing noise etc. But even if they are they can be replaced by their own without needing to remove the struts.

On some other cars, these links gets so difficult to detach from the strut that only way is to cut them off, rendering them useless and needing a new one with strut replacement. My experience wasn't this way with the BMW struts. You can hold the ball joint part of it with a 17 mm thin enough wrench, and loosen the nut with a socket wrench. An impact wrench here makes it real easy.

By the way if you go by the book, the pinch bolt and the nut needs to be replaced with new ones also, the one that pinches the strut to the to spindle.
Appreciate 0