E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Pulled over for honking at a distracted cop at a green light

09-24-2011, 08:42 AM   #23
Dreamz
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY 13 E92 AW ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
another thing i really love is he was clearly too heated to realize i had handed him a concealed handgun license and i had my gun in the center console. i always put that card on top and that was the first card he looked at. he didn't even give me the chance to tell him that i had it in the car. he just had his rage moment and stormed off like a upset 3-year-old.

if he wrote me, i would have taken that shit to court with a jury trial. that would just be one of those 'stick it to the man' cases no matter what. that would have been the most ridiculous ticket ever. he got caught with his pants down and he should've just been a man about it and not thrown a temper tantrum. i'm not one to ever be like 'cops are gay' just because, but i'm always the first to say something if it's bullshit, which this was.
I'm sure if it had gone to that extent, the dash cam would've shown his car stationary through the light up until you hit your horn. The judge would've been pissed that the cop even wasted his time.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 08:53 AM   #24
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNT View Post
Wait.....did you just tap your horn to give him a slight beep or did you lay on it like a douchebag?
Brief honk. Like just a tap
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 09:20 AM   #25
jpsum
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 TSX

Consider lesson learned. Next time, take your gun out and pop a few shots into the sky to get his attention. The horn is for emergencies only, use it wisely.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 10:08 AM   #26
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsum View Post
Consider lesson learned. Next time, take your gun out and pop a few shots into the sky to get his attention. The horn is for emergencies only, use it wisely.
Random shots usually is the Texas honk
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 02:13 PM   #27
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by immiketoo View Post
Not true. Its written in most states that it's for emergency situations only. Clearly this case is a bunch of crap and the cop didn't like being called out. Insecure. Petty.

Blake, you're lucky he didn't write you.
In that case, insecure and petty is right. For all the great instances of police doing a great job and truly being heros, there are just as many of cops being douchebags just for the hell of it.

It's funny, but after a recent small fire (long story), the first to arrive on the scene was a local cop with just such a reputation - he has warned me for going 27 in a 25 (in my own neighborhood), cited me for have a 4% too dark tint (just leaving my neighborhood), and cited my neighbor (probably the most competent 70yr old driver I know) for doing 39 in a 35. Seems like everyone has a story about this guy being a tool. During rush hour every day there is a pretty major intersection where someone runs the light every cycle, often nearly causing accidents. I've found out that instead of patrolling this area, he parks behind the movie theater and talks on his phone. Or goes into Best Buy, leaves his car running for 30+ minutes, as he browses the CDs.

Anyway, he arrives, asks me if everyone is out of the house, I reply yes, he doesn't ask if anyone needs any help, medical attention, anything. It was really not a huge deal, but serious enough for the FD to be called, so you'd think he'd at least ask. Nope - just got back into his car and sat there. Once the fire department had the area under control, he left, and the firemen would not stop making fun of the guy. Aside from the whole fire thing, it was pretty funny.

CSBrian
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 02:38 PM   #28
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

This stuff sickens me. As soon as I can get out, I will. Meanwhile, you should always carry a dozen donuts in your car in case of emergencies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 05:33 PM   #29
SchnellM3
Digger
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03 E46 M3

Garage List
That's ridiculous

About two weeks ago we had a call in the city the guy that past was 300+ pounds on the second floor. I pull up to the house and there is no place to park on either side of the street on that block, so I do what everyone else does in the city double parked and threw on the four ways. The family was out on the porch and as I was about to go into the house (Van still occupied with another guy) a city cop comes flying up behind the van lights and sirens going. He jumps out of the car and calls me over. I explain to him what we are doing there and he gives me an attitude telling me he's can write me up for several citations. I finally got the shits of talking to him and flat out told him that I can either stay there for something that I could have been done with already talking to him or I can wheel a body up the sidewalk a block and a half to where there was parking. He gave me my ID back got in his car and took off.

What really pissed me off aside from his total disrespect for the situation is that he could have A) Offer to help us B) Sit there with his lights on while we complete the removal, usually takes us 10-15 minuets. I drive through the city all the time on my way to work and there are people blocking the street BSing with tons of parking available and they drive right by and don't say a word or flash the lights.

Full Innotech Exhaust - DINAN Intake - IND Engine Bay Appearance - IND Hand Stitched Boot Covers - and much more....
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 10:40 PM   #30
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by immiketoo View Post
This stuff sickens me. As soon as I can get out, I will. Meanwhile, you should always carry a dozen donuts in your car in case of emergencies!
you don't have to be an apologist for the bad apples of the LEO world. there will always be abuses of any system, whether in the LEO community or corporate alike. but by in large, i think most cops take their job seriously and aren't out to dick john q. public around. the good stories never get any publicity, whereas the negative stories are always the ones people shake the stick at. no matter how much you can train a person to compartmentalize and think logically, emotions will always play a significant X factor in the LEO job. the cop that pulled me over just had a split second act of irrational behavior that he let emotions control, which, correct me if i'm wrong, is something a cop is taught to not act rashly upon. we're all human and inherently fallible.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 10:52 PM   #31
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
I know what your saying, but things like that are little more than a slight lapse in control. I agree that it's a very hard job, can be very stressful, and often goes without public praise. But it's these types of situations that perpetuate many's negative opinions. Neither of us pay taxes so cops can pull people over for honking their horn, inoffensively, in an otherwise innocent situation. Pulling people over because they can is not part of the job description any way you wanna slice it. What was he gonna do if he wasn't in his cruiser or on duty? Pulled you over because he could, and he took it as a threat to his authority that you had the "audacity" to bleep your horn because you had somewhere to be. That's abuse of power, I don't give a fuck what the letter of the law says, and I'm willing to wager most real policemen would agree with me, and by that I mean those actually concerned with public safety, and not throwing the book at someone every chance they get (or reminding someone that they could if they wanted to)
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2011, 10:16 AM   #32
Comet
Troll Harder
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3, 997 4 GTS, X6M

Garage List
that's a douche cop

it sucks that you can't get a cop fired for abusing their power
the amount of cops I see turn on their popo lights to burn a red and turn them off the second they pass it.. I think cops who believe their job allows them such "privileges" ought to be fired and fined worse than the rest of us, and maybe a night in jail because they abuse the trust of the people, and tax payer money...
      09-25-2011, 10:26 AM   #33
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: *

hahaha wtf. He should be embarassed for being distracted can't believe he had the cheek to pull you over.
      09-26-2011, 03:02 AM   #34
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaneRZ View Post
In the third world countries, horn is like music to people. people honk all the time and they don't get mad.
If a friend of yours honks at you to say hello then it is seen as a friendly gesture but if an unknown person honks at one then some out there get offended and pissed off. It really depends on how you wish to view that horn.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 09:12 AM   #35
jpsum
Major
United_States
Rep

Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 09:34 AM   #36
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsum View Post
So basically Minis are for homos?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 10:05 AM   #37
jpsum
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So basically Minis are for homos?
now you're just stating the obvious.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 11:59 AM   #38
mosx
The mod bug has bitten.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
I actually had something similar happen, in Dallas no less. Maybe the same cop? It was about 2am and I was stopped in a protected left lane just like you. The light turns, the cop doesn't move. I usually give people until the count of 5 ... 1 one thousand, two one thousand, etc ... so I do a "love tap" on the horn.

The car door swings open and the officer walks back to my vehicle and yells through the window "Whats your problem?" so I roll the window down and told him he had sat there too long, I got shit to do, and I shouldn't be waiting at a green light.

Naturally he asks for my license and registration. He then tells me he could easily cite me for "illegal use of a horn" and "improper use of a safety device." I almost couldn't hold back the laughter. I just told him that if he wants to go before a judge and jury to explain why we're all in court wasting everyone's time over something as trivial as this then go ahead and write the ticket.

He handed me my stuff back and got back in his car. By this time the light had already cycled. So guess what? The arrow turns green again and he sits there. This time I didn't honk, the light cycled back to red. So I did what anyone would do. I called the police to report a broken down vehicle in the turn lane. About 30 seconds after I got off the phone he flips his lights and sirens on (at 2am) and literally does a burn out through the intersection (which was still red) and then pulls over on the side of the road. Light turns green, I make my left and thats the last I saw of him.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 12:08 PM   #39
jpsum
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosx View Post
I actually had something similar happen, in Dallas no less. Maybe the same cop? It was about 2am and I was stopped in a protected left lane just like you. The light turns, the cop doesn't move. I usually give people until the count of 5 ... 1 one thousand, two one thousand, etc ... so I do a "love tap" on the horn.

The car door swings open and the officer walks back to my vehicle and yells through the window "Whats your problem?" so I roll the window down and told him he had sat there too long, I got shit to do, and I shouldn't be waiting at a green light.

Naturally he asks for my license and registration. He then tells me he could easily cite me for "illegal use of a horn" and "improper use of a safety device." I almost couldn't hold back the laughter. I just told him that if he wants to go before a judge and jury to explain why we're all in court wasting everyone's time over something as trivial as this then go ahead and write the ticket.

He handed me my stuff back and got back in his car. By this time the light had already cycled. So guess what? The arrow turns green again and he sits there. This time I didn't honk, the light cycled back to red. So I did what anyone would do. I called the police to report a broken down vehicle in the turn lane. About 30 seconds after I got off the phone he flips his lights and sirens on (at 2am) and literally does a burn out through the intersection (which was still red) and then pulls over on the side of the road. Light turns green, I make my left and thats the last I saw of him.
what an ass.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 12:51 PM   #40
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

Quote:
you don't have to be an apologist for the bad apples of the LEO world. there will always be abuses of any system, whether in the LEO community or corporate alike. but by in large, i think most cops take their job seriously and aren't out to dick john q. public around. the good stories never get any publicity, whereas the negative stories are always the ones people shake the stick at. no matter how much you can train a person to compartmentalize and think logically, emotions will always play a significant X factor in the LEO job. the cop that pulled me over just had a split second act of irrational behavior that he let emotions control, which, correct me if i'm wrong, is something a cop is taught to not act rashly upon. we're all human and inherently fallible.
This is actually a pretty good assessment of everything. I just can't believe once you handed him your concealed weapon permit he did not ask about it.
One would think that should have been of concern to him but instead he focused on his feelings being hurt.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 01:09 PM   #41
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F82 M4

ID COMPLAINED HES ASS IMMEDIATELY... i hate cops like that thinking they own the fawkin place just cause they are cops...

EXAMPLE LOOK AT THE COP THAT BEAT UP THE HOMELESS IN FULLERTON and end up dead... biatch 2 cops charge with murder...
      09-26-2011, 04:17 PM   #42
BobKingerman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e90 335i, 1969 Mustang

Garage List
2007 E90 335i  [0.00]
I did this to a cop last week and he just glared at me in his side view mirror. I'm just afraid he might try and mess with me if he sees me again.

2007 335i E90 BSM Depo Tail, Matte Grill, AFE DCI, JB4, Debadge, Matte Black Avant Garde M310, Blacked Out Trim, Mtech v3 AE
Future Mods: Tint, Catless DPs
E90post.com E9x Picture GAME!!! 2 Points Challenges Girl, Office Space
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 12:04 PM   #43
MTV
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: E60 M5, Volvo S60R

Cop having a bad day...

He probably just got broken up with and was sobbing at the light
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 08:05 PM   #44
klipseracer
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i, 05 E46 330i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
2005 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMLXXXIX View Post
this

I always wondered what would happen if you honk at a cop
THIS! I want to honk at cops all the time lol.
Appreciate 0