E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Opinions Only - Another AWD RWD conversion thread

02-24-2024, 12:32 PM   #1
TehBek
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 e91, 1987 e30

Question Opinions Only - Another AWD RWD conversion thread

Hey all, I've been lurking for a while getting my mind around the necessary bits and pieces I would need to pull this off, but I'm looking for input from anyone with experience in multiple e90s, preferably with suspension mods.

I finally bought an e91 after years of debating. My ideal spec was an MT RWD but between the lack of options and the cost of the ones available I opted to sacrifice the RWD and focus on an affordable MT car.

FF to now. I purchased a car with some known maintenance and repair items needed, and as I have been working through my list I have realized that my front subframe has enough rust that replacing is a question of when, not if. I would like to get to it sometime this year which affords me a surprising opportunity to justify a conversion to RWD. The punch line is that I don't hate xDrive as much as I thought I would, and it's actually hilariously fun with DSC turned off. At this point I would like to keep the xDrive functionality, and plan to get xDelete for occasional silliness, but to me the car feels 'heavy' or maybe 'sluggush' and I'm not sure how much of that is due to xDrive and specifically the slow rack. I don't know anyone with a RWD that I could drive for comparison, so I'm hoping to get some opinions on whether the xDrive is going to hold me back from getting some fun into the car as I update the suspension and engine. I don't need to go fast, I just want to have fun getting there.

Feels like the Internet is great for opinions so I'm asking for them now, make it rain!!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 11:33 AM   #2
Bimmer_Bro
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335xi LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehBek View Post
Hey all, I've been lurking for a while getting my mind around the necessary bits and pieces I would need to pull this off, but I'm looking for input from anyone with experience in multiple e90s, preferably with suspension mods.

I finally bought an e91 after years of debating. My ideal spec was an MT RWD but between the lack of options and the cost of the ones available I opted to sacrifice the RWD and focus on an affordable MT car.

FF to now. I purchased a car with some known maintenance and repair items needed, and as I have been working through my list I have realized that my front subframe has enough rust that replacing is a question of when, not if. I would like to get to it sometime this year which affords me a surprising opportunity to justify a conversion to RWD. The punch line is that I don't hate xDrive as much as I thought I would, and it's actually hilariously fun with DSC turned off. At this point I would like to keep the xDrive functionality, and plan to get xDelete for occasional silliness, but to me the car feels 'heavy' or maybe 'sluggush' and I'm not sure how much of that is due to xDrive and specifically the slow rack. I don't know anyone with a RWD that I could drive for comparison, so I'm hoping to get some opinions on whether the xDrive is going to hold me back from getting some fun into the car as I update the suspension and engine. I don't need to go fast, I just want to have fun getting there.

Feels like the Internet is great for opinions so I'm asking for them now, make it rain!!
It’s not going to hold you back at all… it’s actually a huge advantage. I have an 2010xi stage 2+, XHP stage 3 for about 7 years. On ST coils. A normal 335i can barely put the power down in first and second when tuned without some very sticky tires.
The only negatives to xdrive is the couple hundred pounds of extra weight and the slow rack. I do wish the rack was faster like the non xi version but a normal rack will not fit on an xi so don’t bother trying to swap them.
I personally would only use Xdelete to send a little more power to the rear vs fully off. There is a slider on the app for what % gets sent to the front vs the rear.
      04-08-2024, 10:43 AM   #3
TehBek
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 e91, 1987 e30

Thanks for the feedback! The rack really is painfully slow, I have essentially gotten used to it but still wish it was quicker occasionally. I don't think I'll ever have trouble keeping the tires connected to the pavement with the n52, that feels like a mostly 335 problem given the power differences.

Since posting I have been going back and forth in deciding to convert or not, I think I'm just going to purchase xDelete and see if I miss the extra traction with it switched fully off. I will also play with the other settings and see if they put a little more spunk into the car as well. Seems like the most logical way forward at this point.

That slow rack though....
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2024, 11:03 AM   #4
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Opinions only! Okay, here are mine:

1) There are too many of these threads. There's no way OP has discovered something not already beaten to death here on this topic.
2) Stop switching from AWD to RWD. Just go buy a RWD. There are a ton of these out there. It's a wild pain in the ass to swap.
3) Replacing a subframe is nowhere near enough of a catalyst to swap drivetrains (and a 100 other related things). Just buy a used one, clean it up and paint it with POR. My replacement was under $400 shipped from a snowless state (TX i think)
4) the xi is a ton of fun. Turn off all traction control, and it behaves like an open diff. I can easily do donuts or oversteer my ass off.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 02:01 PM   #5
oVeRdOsE.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F25 E91 Audi Avnt E90 Cayenne

Opinions !

I drove few bmws, mainly old and newer E chassis and F.

xi or not, those are driving machine.

So doing a legit AWD to RWD conversion is not like goring from a TV 480p to 1080p. More like 1080p to 1440p. : there's a difference, but it need to be cheap to worth it.

I drove :
- real RWD
- xdelete
- xdelete + removing front axle and front drive shaft.

And of course I dont own or daily a real RWD, but the cheap xdelete and delete axle and shaft, was damn close to a RWD.

Here we have shit load of snow, so most E90s are AWD and people don't bother to get a RWD or do a swap. The xdelete and axle delete, is very popular.

Like awdaddict said, if this is something that bother you, find a RWD if its popular where you live.

Also, I prefer AWD over a RWD non-LSD, specially if you drop a lot of power.
Appreciate 0