E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Got DINAN Software Yesterday

02-18-2008, 03:35 PM   #45
grubster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 535i Sport, 09 GL550

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweak84 View Post
damn it, i really want to do this but i cant decide between all the different options...does anyone know if there is a dinan dealer around milwaukee wi? or even in wi? im leaning towards that because of the warranty and cause my car is leased but i cant decide...
Not sure about Milwaukee, but you could always go to Knauz BMW in Lake Forest IL, it's only about 15 minutes highway driving from Kenosha and I am almost certain they are Dinan dealers.
      02-18-2008, 06:30 PM   #46
vase330
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 E63S; 15.5 RangeRover ATB

Ok people, I am back from the shop.

I took the car back to the shop. No CELs no any codes of any sort. The exhaust is absolutely throatier. The tech was surprised and he was like, wow you are back rather soon. Yeah ofcourse, got no juice here.. Ok first he explained each car is a little different and reacts a little differently. No codes means its fine. second it was wet outside, so wait or go on a drier highway (was already thinking of that.) because you can't feel it as much in the wet. Third, he said I need to put a more miles on it, and eventually I am gonna stop feeling it, and if the car is not flying in couple of days bring it back. They checked and everything is fine.

coming back I did a few pulls, and YES I start feeling it. Maybe not as much as I expected but its definitely pulling.

Then driving a long and suddenly almost like a light switch, I notice the car get real crisp and smooth. Up top it rips to 7K rpm as smoothly as a hot knife through soft warm butter. The tech said it will improve with more miles, and I can see that is what is occurring here. The acceleration is so smooth, when you get on it, it just shoots ahead. I also did notice the shift points changed and the shifts are now more noticeable. I can wait for it to fully adopt already. The car is very fast, even though it does not always feel like it. Engine more audible in cabin too. I will post another updated this weekend after an 8hr round trip to Atlantic city. I don't know but thinking they did not do anything but check for codes. Doesn't matter anyway, something is hibernating in there now ready to be unleashed on the highway some where far from here.
      02-18-2008, 06:45 PM   #47
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by vase330 View Post
I took the car back to the shop. No CELs no any codes of any sort. The exhaust is absolutely throatier. The tech was surprised and he was like, wow you are back rather soon. Yeah ofcourse, got no juice here.. Ok first he explained each car is a little different and reacts a little differently. No codes means its fine. second it was wet outside, so wait or go on a drier highway (was already thinking of that.) because you can't feel it as much in the wet. Third, he said I need to put a more miles on it, and eventually I am gonna stop feeling it, and if the car is not flying in couple of days bring it back. They checked and everything is fine.

coming back I did a few pulls, and YES I start feeling it. Maybe not as much as I expected but its definitely pulling.

Then driving a long and suddenly almost like a light switch, I notice the car get real crisp and smooth. Up top it rips to 7K rpm as smoothly as a hot knife through soft warm butter. The tech said it will improve with more miles, and I can see that is what is occurring here. The acceleration is so smooth, when you get on it, it just shoots ahead. I also did notice the shift points changed and the shifts are now more noticeable. I can wait for it to fully adopt already. The car is very fast, even though it does not always feel like it. Engine more audible in cabin too. I will post another updated this weekend after an 8hr round trip to Atlantic city. I don't know but thinking they did not do anything but check for codes. Doesn't matter anyway, something is hibernating in there now ready to be unleashed on the highway some where far from here.
Good to hear things improved. You may need to do some WOT pulls.
      02-18-2008, 09:14 PM   #48
vase330
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Did you guys expirience this?

Did you guys experience something like this? I was puzzled at the behavior of the car earlier, but it definitely feel a difference now. I'll see how it goes. I'll also see what happens as I add more miles. I think some more WOT pulls might help a lot. The car feels freaking fast. You don't really feel it, it just approaches the traffic ahead faster than you expected. You hit the gas and it almost feels like 80 literally came up in two seconds.
      02-19-2008, 03:39 AM   #49
rushmdat23
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi coupe

Knauz is a Dinan dealer. My new e92 coupe is sitting in the bay waiting for the Dinan chip to be shipped back and reinstalled so I can finally take delivery. they don't yet have the equiptment to reflash the 08 ECU in house so its a sendout. But as stated, its only a 15-25 minute drive from Kenosha (i do it on a daily basis).

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubster View Post
Not sure about Milwaukee, but you could always go to Knauz BMW in Lake Forest IL, it's only about 15 minutes highway driving from Kenosha and I am almost certain they are Dinan dealers.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2008, 11:53 PM   #50
vase330
Colonel
United_States
Rep

My car is roaring like a caged pitbull raring to go.

I did a few WOT pulls today. Going 40-60 mph floor it, and DSC lights up ad the tires start loosing traction. Its very smooth and linear. You hear the turbos alright, but it doesn't feel like an eclipse, it is still BMW refined. Very fast for sure, you don't really realize it, until there is another car besides or behind you. I take off, feels smooth, but you look back and suddenly traffic is 300 feet behind like, "Did I just take off on a read light back there?"

Definitely much louder exhaust. You here it roar around like a V8 almost. Can't wait to take an extended highway jaunt. It does seem to get better, and today I could obviously feel there was something extra in there under hood.
      02-20-2008, 12:57 PM   #51
KT9
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushmdat23 View Post
Knauz is a Dinan dealer. My new e92 coupe is sitting in the bay waiting for the Dinan chip to be shipped back and reinstalled so I can finally take delivery. they don't yet have the equiptment to reflash the 08 ECU in house so its a sendout. But as stated, its only a 15-25 minute drive from Kenosha (i do it on a daily basis).
Who can I contact at Knauz for the Dinan flash? What's the price out the door including labor and tax?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2008, 01:34 PM   #52
cmurphy335e92
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

I paid 2007.84 for the flash TOTAL. And a Car wash! lol
2008 Lexus IS-F
Starfire Pearl
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2008, 01:45 PM   #53
KT9
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmurphy335e92 View Post
I paid 2007.84 for the flash TOTAL. And a Car wash! lol
I'd gladly pay $2000 without the car wash. I can install my own swirl marks, thank you.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2008, 02:03 PM   #54
cmurphy335e92
Private First Class
Rep

Hand wash, believe me I made sure. I saw the machine, then I saw my car being washed by the detail department.
2008 Lexus IS-F
Starfire Pearl
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2008, 01:40 AM   #55
vase330
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Cool Ok, another observation about the flash.

I was kind of expecting to see lower oil temperatures based on reviews here saying Dinan runs at 210F. Now my car has usually run at 230F-240F range. Even when I was bouncing off the limiter on the Autobahn in Germany, the temps seemed to drop to the 220s which I assume was the wind factor at those speeds. In the Swiss Alps, the highest I saw was 245F. I have the stock oil cooler mind you. After the Dinan flash, I don't see a damn change in oil temperatures at all. None. I ran the car at close to redline the other day for a while in Manual mode, just to see what happens. Nothing, it stayed at 240F but hit 245F while I was going up a steep hill at redline in 3rd. It then quickly dropped back to 240F as soon as I shifted into 4th the RPMs dropped and then I slowed as I crested the hill. My conclusion, is maybe those saying they run at 210 with Dinan also have the Dinan cooler? Is there anyone stock cooler out there with Dinan seeing 210F

Didn't drive the car today it was snowing like a mofo over here. But when it dries up I'll experiment more. No way I pay $2K for a cooler, the stock one proves to do the job just fine. Its not like you drive the car at race speeds anyway. Now with the stage II Dinan, whats the real scoop on that? I can't see spending another $2K on the car unless there is a dramatic difference. Rear OEM M3 Spoiler goes on, and I think I am done modding it.
      02-23-2008, 08:45 AM   #56
cmurphy335e92
Private First Class
Rep

My dinan flashed car doesnt run at 210. Probly around 225
2008 Lexus IS-F
Starfire Pearl
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2008, 09:50 AM   #57
vase330
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Question So do you have a 340F gauge and stock oil cooler?

I have stock cooler and 340F temp gauge. My needle stay 1 tick to 1.5 ticks off middle bar. I mean the needle hangs to left of the midpoint. Is this what you are seeing or are you getting cooler temps than that. This actually been my situation since I got the car. No change at all after the flash.
      02-23-2008, 09:55 AM   #58
cmurphy335e92
Private First Class
Rep

I probly getting about 4 ticks under the mid mark.
2008 Lexus IS-F
Starfire Pearl
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2008, 09:57 AM   #59
vase330
Colonel
United_States
Rep

So do you have the newer gauge or the older one?

Man I am beginning to wonder if this thing is doing what it should be doing at all. So do you have the newer 340F gauge?
      02-23-2008, 10:30 AM   #60
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

Quote:
Man I am beginning to wonder if this thing is doing what it should be doing at all. So do you have the newer 340F gauge?
Don't be so worried about your oil temperature. As long as you are hanging around the middle of your guage you should be fine. If you are 1 or 2 ticks from the max, that is the time to be worried.

I don't think there is anywhere in the flash literature that says it should significantly lower the oil temperature, but I think it says with remapped water flow that it will keep things from getting too hot with the added boost.

So relax, and enjoy the power.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2008, 10:49 AM   #61
Orb
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
I have stock cooler and 340F temp gauge. My needle stay 1 tick to 1.5 ticks off middle bar. I mean the needle hangs to left of the midpoint. Is this what you are seeing or are you getting cooler temps than that. This actually been my situation since I got the car. No change at all after the flash.
The oil temperature is controlled by a thermostat so were it sitting now is normal.

Orb
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2008, 12:09 AM   #62
vase330
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Talking Man I fell in love with the car all over again.

No longer dissatisfied here. Give it a couple of days is absolutely right!! There is such a thing as adoption over time. So yesterday (Sunday) I went to NY city with car. Somewhere a long the way, it starts to feel more and more powerful with every few miles that went by. Guess I had not done enough miles before for it to adopt completely. Cruising at 60mph, I just merely rub the pedal and the car is almost instantaneously at 80. Give it a gentle push, you are rapidly clocking 100 mph and eclipsing 120mph. So damn powerful you almost get bored because it feels like you are loafing around at those speeds and yet there is little space and opportunity to do that. I couldn't help nudging every so often just to expirience the locomotive like pull you get as the car literally sling around. Its so damn smooth in delivery its almost underwhelming.

Coming back, I went off to enjoy afew twisties, (had two passengers too). Young guy in late model Prelude was literally riding my a$$. This other punk with an evo took the shoulder and passes me within a hair's width. They were both racing each other (Honda was loosing). Suddenly I guess I was the more interesting prey. They did a few passes and I was just feeling frisky. Now I usually wont do this (too old for that crap). My passengers well in their 50s so I was well mannered and subdued.

I think it caught all of us by a little surprise . I finally got irritated and thought I'll show the Prelude guy he is not at the same performance level. I let him go ahead a bit as they pulled on me, then I just nail it. Holly macro!!! Wow wow wow Man I knew the car was powerful, but sh1t! The car fishtailled a little, and littery shot a few hundred feat ahead of the Prelude guy in like 2 seconds. I was approaching the evo guy so damn fast he chaged lanes probably fearing I might nail him in the back. All I have to say, is I am a believer. Stupid fast is all I can say. Infact I pulled on the evo guy and about 200 feet when I let off. The look on those guys' faces was priceless. My passengers had both been talking and the next word I heard from my rear passenger was Oh, God please don't kill us! Guy in front was like, "Holly crap, didn't realize these cars were that fast! Man what in the hell is under there man, this can't be factory stock. What did they give you in Germany?" He was launghing that stupid laughter you usually see on a boxer after a sucker punch and they are about to be knocked out. He said he was so frightened by how quickly the car bolted forward he almost spat out his heart. Now he was giggling like a little girl. I slowed down to line up with the punks and they both pulled to the lanes next and away from me, neither of them wanting any more showdown. You should have seen their faces! I have to admit though, they were not the only ones impressed. I was too. I for sure need a radar detector, a good one. That surge is just addicting. It builds up so fast yet so smooth the speed catches you almost by total surprise. You expect it to be fast, but not really that fast. The speedo needle literally swings and races up the gauge as fast as the rpms rise. The Steptronic is remapped but auto shifts at 6800 ish. Honestly there is no power dying off in higher rpms, this thing positively rips. I know now what people mean by adoption because it was not nearly this fast two days earlier after I got the Tune. If you are on the fence, go get it. I am no fan boy, but its good. Really good!

Now where is Stage II? I think things just got a lot more interesting!
      02-26-2008, 06:09 AM   #63
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

Satisfaction at last.

Last edited by Bubbles; 02-26-2008 at 06:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2008, 11:49 AM   #64
cmurphy335e92
Private First Class
Rep

I'm glad to hear your enjoying the new FLASH!!!
2008 Lexus IS-F
Starfire Pearl
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2008, 05:15 PM   #65
Numb3rs
Banned
Rep
Drives: Looking

Great story!

Have you thought about getting your car dynoed? I am a sucker for data!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2008, 06:21 PM   #66
fedinand
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3, '11 GTI

I just got the car back after getting the Dinan software and throttle response seems very strange - not like stock at all. There is very little response during the first 1/2 of pedal travel...feels worse than stock actually. Car now feels laggy except it isn't turbo lag. Does this get better in time? Is there an adaptation period?
Appreciate 0