E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Metallic Ticking noise coming from engine?

12-27-2008, 05:22 PM   #815
exclusivo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: race car

noob question here, but i just got an 06 e90 a few months ago, and heard the ticking today. its cold here in New York, but there have definitely been colder days where I have not heard it. Anyway, once i take it to the dealer and they decide to change parts, lifters,heads... is that covered under the warranty?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2008, 01:13 AM   #816
ni8shadow
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 328i 6MT

If you got it CPO then it should.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2008, 10:07 AM   #817
exclusivo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: race car

not cpo, but still falls under the 4yr/50000m warranty. I have 10 months left.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 03:01 PM   #818
rambalu80
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemmegetatthat View Post
not cpo, but still falls under the 4yr/50000m warranty. I have 10 months left.
Yes, you do have warranty until 4 years / 50,000 miles even if you aren't the first owner & the car isn't CPO.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2009, 01:53 AM   #819
ni8shadow
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 328i 6MT

Ticking back this morning Think I should bring it in again? They did the bleeding proced the last time, will they do anything diff this time?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2009, 04:21 PM   #820
StoneCold
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 2008 328i Coupe, Pro 02/08

Quote:
Originally Posted by ni8shadow View Post
Ticking back this morning Think I should bring it in again? They did the bleeding proced the last time, will they do anything diff this time?
Cylinder head. GL
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2009, 09:44 AM   #821
michaelbpr
BORICUA
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Hi everyone I'm new to the forum and I'll like to know if anyone in the MD, VA, DC area had this problem and what was the dealer respond. My closest dealer is in Annapolis. Anyone been there with this issue. I just got a 06 330i and is doing this. I'm planing on taking the car in on Wednesday. Any advise. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2009, 05:46 PM   #822
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

I had changed to Mobil One 0w-40 in the Fall as an attempt at preventing the "TAP". Well it has been extremely cold these past few weeks and the "TAP" is back. BMW will only offer the "bleed" procedure as a remedy. ;(
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2009, 01:50 PM   #823
3rd3
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328 i

Thumbs down Ticking Time Bomb

I am disappointed to conclude this thread demonstrates that BMW of NA is unwilling to correct a known design defect by issuing a recall. After three failed attempts to bleed the vehicle (2 hours driving to and from dealership each visit), they finally got "authorization" to replace the cylinder head. I am concerned as anyone should be on a new vehicle. Tinkering with the engine or transmission at 15K miles is not something consumers desire or expect from BMW.

Fortunately my lemon law period is 18 months from the in service date of a vehicle. I am outraged to have attempted to resolve this with BMW of NA in good faith and to have been refused a repurchase. Apparently, BMW has left out its "valued" consumers to dry on this one. I guess you have to win a lawsuit to get them to buy back the car. At that point, the company has to pay an attorney to defend the suit and pay YOUR attorney's fees and court costs as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2009, 05:25 PM   #824
wp326
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

I had the bleeding done last year around February. Since then no ticking even in cold weather, until yesterday. Since yesterday, I parked my car in a spot where the front of the car is higher than the rear (on an incline), I think this causes the oil to flow downward because of gravity. After revving and driving for a few miles, ticking goes away. This is my theory. Like people who have headache could stand on their heads to relieve pain.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2009, 09:11 AM   #825
rambalu80
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Guys, BMW will only offer the bleed procedure as the first remedy. If that doesn't work, you have to be persistant to get it fixed. Take it back to them with the engine ticking when the car is at the dealership and tell them that they already performed the bleeding procedure and it hasn't worked. Tell them that you have read that the only fix is to have the cylinder head replaced and do what you can to get your SA to agree with you. I had no issues getting the head replacement done and I'm glad that my dealership was already aware of the issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2009, 01:27 PM   #826
typeszh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90

I just got back from a second visit to the dealer about the ticking. The SA says BMW corporate is rescinding the cylinder replacement as a method to fix the ticking. I do not know if he was just BSing me but I'm going to contact BMW corporate on my own.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2009, 06:12 PM   #827
rambalu80
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by typeszh View Post
I just got back from a second visit to the dealer about the ticking. The SA says BMW corporate is rescinding the cylinder replacement as a method to fix the ticking. I do not know if he was just BSing me but I'm going to contact BMW corporate on my own.
One of my friends just had it done and got his car back 3 weeks ago. They had his car in the dealership for 5 weeks though.

Well, if they are thinking of rescinding the cylinder replacement operation, ask him for an alternative fix!
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2009, 06:32 PM   #828
srv2790
BMW Service Dept.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeszh View Post
thats some big bs... ill include the service action bulletin for you. SI B 11 09 07
Engine January 2009
Technical Service

This Service Information bulletin supersedes SI 11 09 07 dated April 2008.

designates changes to this revision

SUBJECT
Intermittent Hydraulic Valve Adjuster (HVA): "Ticking" or "Rattling" Noises

MODEL
All E82, E83, E85, E86, E88, E60, E61, E70, E90, E91, E92, and E93 with the N51, N52 or N52K engines

SITUATION
An occasional ticking or rattling noise from the HVA elements may occur during cold engine starts or frequent short-distance driving.

CAUSE
In these situations, the HVA elements may not yet have been supplied with sufficient amounts of air-free oil. This condition will not cause any damage to the engine, and usually remedies itself with a longer driving distance or operating times at full operating temperature.

CORRECTION
In the event of a customer complaint, please perform the following the HVA bleeding procedure.

PROCEDURE
Important notes:

The bleed time may take anywhere from between two minutes and (in rare cases) to a maximum of 30 minutes. This procedure is to be performed on a level surface with the vehicle stationary, and in a properly ventilated area.

Procedure preconditions:

Engine oil level correct – neither underfilled nor overfilled

Engine running at operating temperature

Bring the engine up to an operating speed (no load) of 2000-3000 rpm and maintain this condition for three minutes (bleeding procedure).

Let the engine idle for 15-30 seconds and reevaluate whether the noise is still present or not.

Engine quiet – procedure is finished.

Engine noise is still present – repeat the procedure; perform steps #1 and #2 up to a maximum of 5 times.

Only if the noise remains after performing the bleeding procedure 5 times: proceed by performing the procedure for a final time, also at an engine operating speed of 2000-3000 rpm, but for a total time duration of 15 minutes.

WARRANTY INFORMATION
Covered under the terms of the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2009, 04:20 AM   #829
typeszh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90

Thanks but I'm more concerned with the cylinder replacement and not the air bleed SIB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srv2790 View Post
thats some big bs... ill include the service action bulletin for you. SI B 11 09 07
Engine January 2009
Technical Service
of 15 minutes.

WARRANTY INFORMATION
Covered under the terms of the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2009, 02:13 PM   #830
rpoitras
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

I have this problem on mine as well and found this post about 2 months ago. After reading and finding out that the "real" fix was to replace the head I figured that I'd just complain about the noise so that it's at least on record. I really didn't want the dealership to be cracking open the engine but I wanted some record that the problem exists.

The first time mentioning the noise they did the bleeding procedure which didn't last more than a day. The second time my wife took the car in for a scheduled oil change and I told her to mention the noise again. To my surprise they opened a PUMA case which was accepted but we had to wait for the parts. Yesterday morning we brought the car in and received a call today that it's ready to be picked up. I don't want to celebrate too early but I'm a little surprised that a) I didn't have to push to get the real fix done, and b) it only took 2 days to fix. Not sure if that's a good thing or not, though, haha. We were also told this is an $8k job. Eek!

I'm picking the car up in about 2 hours so wish me luck. As for those of you getting jerked around by your dealerships, don't settle for anything less. Unless your ticking (I call it knocking, because mine was embarrasingly loud) isn't that bad there's no reason your +$40k car should sound like a shitbox beater starved of oil.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2009, 02:26 PM   #831
DESI4life10
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Coding: Desi4life10@gmail.com

Thanks to this thread for the great knowledge.

I have had this ticking problem for a while now and have went through the bleeding and replacing the lifters phase. Well those solutions did nothing and the noise was still there.

My only problem was getting the noise to come up during a visit to the dealer (which never happens). Well thankfully today I brought it in, and behold the noise was there. The technician performed the bleeding process but realized he made it worse which fast tracked the authorization of replacing the cylinder head. Like stated above, you have to be persistent that you want the cylinder to be replaced and not to continue doing the temporary solution.

I am happy that finally and hopefully the replacement of the cylinder head will put and end to this ticking noise. I am however disappointed that this has to be done on an expensive car (to me its expensive )

My only concern, with the new cylinder head does there have to be a break in phase? My SA said that it should not matter, but I want to be sure.

Thanks
RR
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2009, 02:29 PM   #832
Haywire
Haywire, brand new BMW owner :D
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i coupe

Ive been monitoring this thread for quite some time, its amazing the scenarios people find themselves in...its incredible, truly. When you pay this much for a vehicle, you should be treated like a fu@king king. Forget the fact that its a luxury car, that its a BMW...how about the fact that there are SO MANY CONSUMER CHOICES out there, but you decided to go with BMW, and this is some of the bullshi@t YOU have to deal with...its untrue.

I suggest for anyone who this problem, simply print out this INCREDIBLY long thread and drop it on your representatives desk like a encyclopedia and demand that your problem is real, you want it fixed...and youre not going to settle for anything less.

My car is stored right now, but i started with the early signs of the ticking... I anticipate some friction when i bring it in, but im not backing down.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2009, 10:04 AM   #833
DESI4life10
Banned
Canada
Rep

Well the cylinder head is on backorder

Was told that it would take about 2 weeks to get the part in. The good news is that I will be able to get the car back today while the part is being ordered

For people that are curious, I asked my SA if they need to remove the engine in order to replace the cylinder head. He told me that because the cylinder head is located in the upper parts of the engine, the technician will not have to physically take the engine out to reach it. That is good news as I get worried when something like this has to be done involving pulling out the engine from the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2009, 10:48 PM   #834
flicks28
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i; 2006 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DESI4life10 View Post
Thanks to this thread for the great knowledge.

I have had this ticking problem for a while now and have went through the bleeding and replacing the lifters phase. Well those solutions did nothing and the noise was still there.

My only problem was getting the noise to come up during a visit to the dealer (which never happens). Well thankfully today I brought it in, and behold the noise was there. The technician performed the bleeding process but realized he made it worse which fast tracked the authorization of replacing the cylinder head. Like stated above, you have to be persistent that you want the cylinder to be replaced and not to continue doing the temporary solution.

I am happy that finally and hopefully the replacement of the cylinder head will put and end to this ticking noise. I am however disappointed that this has to be done on an expensive car (to me its expensive )

My only concern, with the new cylinder head does there have to be a break in phase? My SA said that it should not matter, but I want to be sure.

Thanks
RR

My SA said the same thing, no break-in needed.

Also, nobody should worry about opening the engine. I know of no one who has had any problems after the replacement. Our car runs great and so far we have put 5000 miles on it. Get it done before your warranty expires cause it can lead to future problems according to my SA.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2009, 11:18 PM   #835
DESI4life10
Banned
Canada
Rep

Another question I have regarding replacing the cylinder heads.

It looks like members that had there cylinder heads changed also had there oil and filter changed (put fresh oil). Apparently my SA says that they can change the cylinder head without needing to do an oil change. I was kind of shocked he said that and figured that an oil change should be done when opening the engine up. Whats with that? Should I assume my SA does not know for sure or could that be true ?
I would really love to have a fresh filter and new oil when they are performing engine component replacements to ensure that the oil is not contaminated.

Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2009, 07:42 AM   #836
Rekla
Hug the road... Carpe Asphalt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 ///M Coupe

So is the cylinder head replaced by an improved designed one (different P/N)?
I'd guess it has larger oil channels to lube the valves/lifters better?
Earlier replacements did not always result in resolving the probem if you read the history of this sticky (some complaining the problem got worse).