E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > VW Waives Seat in SGL Carbon Supervisory Board - For now

03-09-2011, 07:39 AM   #1
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

BIMMERPOST NEWS
VW Waives Seat in SGL Carbon Supervisory Board - For now
COMMENTS
Name:  carbon-fiber-frame-lg.jpg
Views: 6018
Size:  213.6 KB

In a surprising move last week, Volkswagen acquired an 8% stake in SGL Carbon SE, with whom BMW has a joint venture for production of carbon fiber for the BMW i models. While BMW and Susanne Klatten (one main BMW shareholder) is watching this closely, Financial Times Germany now reports that VW is trying to play this move down as an investment and backs their claim by waiving a seat in SGL Carbon's Supervisory Board. "That's out of question," a VW Spokesperson told FTD and went on: "Neither are there any plans," when asked about VW's intentions to claim a seat in the SGL Supervisory Board.

This might look like a relief at first sight, yet Financial Times also reports that the Volkswagen Group has pretty good ties with SGL Carbon, even without being involved in the SGL Supervisory Board. Hubert Lienhard, CEO of Voith GmbH, is member of the SGL Carbon Supervisory Board. Voith not only holds a 5% stake of SGL Carbon but also formed a development partnership with Audi three weeks ago. Much like the BMW/SGL Carbon Joint Venture, this partnership is "meant to promote industrialization of fiber-reinforced materials, particularly through developing a highly automated process chain for high-volume automotive production."

Needless to say that we'll keep an eye on this situation. It will be interesting to see which efforts BMW and Susanne Klatten will make to clear this conflict of interest. Further developments also depend on Volkswagen's true intentions. VW CEO Martin Winterkorn called the SGL stakes "strategic" so pretty much everything is possible, including a bidding war on SGL Carbon.

Source: Financial Times Germany

Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 09:48 AM   #2
slyboogy
Canada
Rep
Drives: Audi A7 & Audi A4 & BMW X3

Garage List
2024 BMW x6  [0.00]
I dont think VW is trying to de-rail or stir up dust with BMW , just getting into the driver seat on upcoming material trends. This happens in all marketplaces. BMW cannot expect SGL not to have other customers if SGL truly are the best in what they do ....
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 10:22 AM   #3
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

BMW have in effect instigated clauses that will prevent VW progressing in taking over the company.

As discovered in the fairly recent "Sex Blackmail" case, and how she effectively brought them to justice in a clandestine motive... Miss Klatten is not one to F*** with.
      03-09-2011, 10:26 AM   #4
uhn2000
Big K...
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3CS BX7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
BMW have in effect instigated clauses that will prevent VW progressing in taking over the company.

As discovered in the fairly recent "Sex Blackmail" case, and how she effectively brought them to justice in a clandestine motive... Miss Klatten is not one to F*** with.
+1 she is a monster.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susanne_Klatten she is a Quandt don't think it gets more BMW then here...
      03-09-2011, 11:53 AM   #5
lasovan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 320

interesting!
I am confident Miss S.K. and BMW will do all the necessary to make things work well for them. And so for us...
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 12:19 PM   #6
Matski
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: A slow BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyboogy View Post
I dont think VW is trying to de-rail or stir up dust with BMW , just getting into the driver seat on upcoming material trends. This happens in all marketplaces. BMW cannot expect SGL not to have other customers if SGL truly are the best in what they do ....
That is different and not what BMW are are expecting SGL to do.

BMW agreed to build a factory along with SGL
Then VW, a Major competitor of BMW buys stake in SGL, therefore possibly taking part ownership of the fruits and profits of BMW's joint venture with SGL.

It's a savvy (yet under-hand) way for VW to get a finger in another pie.. though I guess it was SGL's decision to keep the information from BMW, and not VW's responsibility to declare it. I guess in a roundabout way it means VW can share in the sucess of BMW-i, and if marginal decisions came up where VW's share could swing it either way, it could possibly mean VW were able to operate SGL in a way not in the best interests of BMW (depends on how the other shares of SGL are divided up?). If SGL's market value rises once BMW-i goes into full production, the value of the shares go up, and BMW would have to pay more to get VW's shares back.

Not that I'm suggesting massive industrial espionage here, but since it clearly opens up such possibilities there is obviously a conflict of interests on SGLs behalf. Since VW group companies already have Carbon Fibre partners, I can't see any reason why VW would do this unless it was to be a massive pain in behind to BMW.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 12:25 PM   #7
JB135MDCT
I'm just a cook
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

Bullshit VW game.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 01:00 PM   #8
3XTR3M3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3 6MT

This is all sorts of fucked up. I think VW is enjoying every bit of it.

“BMW has always been a nice competitor for our 10 little brands ... We do not hurt each other so we can well share ownership at SGL,” Mr Piëch said.

Mockery.
      03-10-2011, 04:05 AM   #9
Touring
Major
Norway
Rep
Drives: i3,E21,M2,E23, Skoda Kodiaq

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Miss Klatten is not one to F*** with.
I guess that was quite an experience in her younger days.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 07:11 AM   #10
lasovan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 320

Automotive News Europe -- May 18
BMW's Klatten holds VW at bay with blocking stake in carbon fiber maker

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...#ixzz1Mhm6BTYU
Appreciate 0