E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > 335d Ownership Strategy

02-25-2014, 03:21 PM   #67
AirBull
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M5

Garage List
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMac View Post
Spoke with my SA yesterday. Sounds like the list of intake manifolds had grown to 600 and I was about 300 on the list. Since then, many parts have been shipped so that we are now #80 on the list.

Didn't pull the trigger on another car but have been negotiating a bit to see what they will do. Latest verbal offer was to trade me out at purchase cost - that gives me negative equity of about $1200 because of lump sum sales tax minus a few payments, loyalty credit, etc...

Having a closer horizon is helpful, but since the problem won't be ultimately fixed, I'm struggling with whether to take my $1200 lump now and get out or to hold the course. It sounds like this problem has officially come to light within the BMW community and I'm wondering how that will affect resale value and/or trade in for this model in the future. My car was the dealers first diesel and now the CPO manager is kicking these diesel trade-ins to auction rather than keep them on his lot.

Any opinions on getting out of this car vs. keeping it with freshly cleaned engine and hopefully a 50,000 mile reset?
My Dad bought a 335d new in April of 2009, and I'm about ready to take ownership of it later this week with 33k miles on it. I would have no interest in a current 3 series with 2.0L diesel, as that is what I loved about the 335d - the torque and it's performance/economy component. If I wanted a 2.0L diesel sedan, I'd buy a Passat TDI SEL (bang/buck) or wait for the new Audi A3 2.0 TDI.

Even the new 5 series diesels only have the less muscular twin pipe exhausts on the left side, and it just looks like a regular, mundane sedan. Looked up a new British 335d on BMW.UK and it too only has the twin pipe exhaust on the left side. Just not as sporty looking as the Audi A6 TDI's.

And considering BMW's reputation hit with these current diesels, I might wait and see how the next gen does before I plunk down my $50k or $60k bitcoin.

So in that regard, given my affection for our 2012 Touareg TDI, that 3.0L V6 TDI diesel in an Audi A6 might indeed, be superior to the BMW diesel six. That's what I would recommend you at least take a look at.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...-diesel-review

Born 02.27.2015 in Dingolfing
Appreciate 0