E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > AFE intakes?

02-24-2013, 05:30 PM   #23
Rotorocious
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuraQ View Post
The error in this is the DME needs time to adapt to the sudden changes. Thats why my test was a month apart and I am glad I tested the aFe in "worse temp conditions" from the previous stock

Also, aFe Power makes it very clear that you will not see the gains until after the DME has adapted to the new mod.
I understood that part of it. Mod-bargains told me that and I gave it a week and retried with the same results.
I'm sure given the right conditions they would all be within a unnoticeable amount of horsepower.

Either way, I swapped in the DCI on the same dyno session and got more power.

The negligible amount wasn't worth the money to me, but also the DCI doesn't look as good as other options. For me, I don't care I'm a function person, to others it may.

Last edited by Rotorocious; 02-24-2013 at 05:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 12:48 PM   #24
holmes011
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi coupe

i think a drop in filter makes the most sense since I'm just going to run map 1, right?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 02:22 PM   #25
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35i M Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes011 View Post
i think a drop in filter makes the most sense since I'm just going to run map 1, right?
Correct........
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 03:56 PM   #26
Be Awesome 335i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: LeMans 335i M-Sport Coupe

Garage List
I run the AFE w/ scoops and have experienced no issues or problems whatsoever.. I like the way it looks, sounds and the butt dyno approves! Im sure you wont be disappointed either way...

A friend of mine has the closed intake and he is just as happy with his as i am with mine although he will admit that he loves the way mine sounds...
      02-25-2013, 05:46 PM   #27
ihc95
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 2018 Mustang GT

Garage List
Does the aFe sealed intake still perform well even if it is not custom sealed?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 06:54 PM   #28
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Awesome 335i View Post
A friend of mine has the closed intake and he is just as happy with his as i am with mine although he will admit that he loves the way mine sounds...
Tell him to take off the cover in cooler weather and the table of love will turn between you two

Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 07:09 PM   #29
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihc95 View Post
Does the aFe sealed intake still perform well even if it is not custom sealed?
I am running it now with cover off as shown in previous post. Of course during the summer weather cover will go back on

However, on spare time I do recommend doing this though if you are up to it:

After it dries completely, the next day for me, peal off the bleed and reapply more caulk (all season black weather seal) and smoothen it out

Again you dont have to do this, but it would be worth it if you can
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 07:55 PM   #30
M3takesNYC
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3

AFE intakes have been losing power since back in the day of owning an early e60 on a variety of I6 and V8 engines. I realized they simply lose the customers who realize the inherent heat soak issue with an open filter and get newly minted newbies to keep buying them.

Seat of the pants is useless. Many felt the same way back in the e60 crowd to all find out it lost power.

Save your cash, put in a BMC filter and definitely call it a day
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 01:15 AM   #31
F80M
Major
Rep
Drives: M Fap

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush jamaica View Post
That's not true i think it sounds better than the oem box I don't know about the the hp but afe feels better on my car with a tune
I dont really like to discuss about this shit but I'll do for once. I have used stock box, simota cf box, bms, vishnu, afe, injen dci and stett cai in the past. The worst power gain performance and sound compare with stock air box goes to afe (corrected butt dyno verified).

You'll see when you tried different dci or cai.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 07:20 AM   #32
Be Awesome 335i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: LeMans 335i M-Sport Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Tell him to take off the cover in cooler weather and the table of love will turn between you two

Noted!! I will have to pass this along.. Thanks for the heads up!!
      02-26-2013, 08:15 AM   #33
MSport35TT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2010 BMW 335ix  [1.50]
[QUOTE=Be Awesome 335i]
Quote:

Heheh that looks like my picture I posted a couple months back, if it is glad to help.

Also I have try most of the intake offerings on are cars less the Groupem, Dinan, and Injen and what I found is that you don't necessarily lose power but instead generate power at different parts of the power band.

I would cont. to go back to the stock box after each intake because I felt that I was losing low end TQ. In turn I was actually gaining in the too end. Below I will provide a short description/experience of the ones I have tested. Feel free to add comments on your experiences.

Note: all intakes are accompanied by afe scoops. And I have yet to dyno the car. Current mods are in signature

Stock Box w/ K&N- great upgrade to keep it stick look and retains you TQ at the low end.

Berger x2 Cone- Awesome feel in the low end, a deff improvement and no feeling of "loss" power in the butt dyno. However I wonder what this will perform in the hot weather because there is no heatshield option. I also like the idea that there is no wasted space for air to travel such as on most of aFe's products. Because of this the lowend is retained and for the cost it is a very popular option.

aFe sealed box- similar to stock however generates more flow on the top end. I would highly recommend sealing the box as shown in the DIY write up. Great option to open the the top part of the box in the cold weather but for the money I would just stay stockbox.

aFe stage 2 SI pro- I liked the idea of the set up but never really felt much of a difference. I do however believe this will prove a benefit in the summer with it being a true ram air intake. As far as justifying the cost well I recommend spending the money towards and intercooler and using the stock box with KN and scoops.

aFe stage 2 DCI- my current setup (for now I am using it with the scoops and I love the fact it gives the engine bay a clean looks by using the factory components and utilizing the heat shield box. As compared to the Berger, you do lose low end TQ but when on the highway and looking for top end power the gains are felt in the higher rpm range. This is prob the best option on my opinion for top end power for now in the cooler weather.

In conclusion any of these options should be best on dollar value for what your getting out of it. These in conjunction with a FMI will be fine all year round but I my cont to use my stock box in the warm weather and save to upgrade to the Dinan. Yes it is expensive but it is the best one engineered for true cold air and complete sealed system. It will be my last upgrade unless I can get a good deal on one sooner. Hope this helps my man.

TMPS Sensor 09+ For Sale
x1 Seat Belt For Sale
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 08:34 AM   #34
MSport35TT
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335ix  [1.50]
[QUOTE=91Octane]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rush jamaica View Post
That's not true i think it sounds better than the oem box I don't know about the the hp but afe feels better on my car with a tune
Quote:
I dont really like to discuss about this shit but I'll do for once. I have used stock box, simota cf box, bms, vishnu, afe, injen dci and stett cai in the past. The worst power gain performance and sound compare with stock air box goes to afe (corrected butt dyno verified). You'll see when you tried different dci or cai.

So why waste your time posting and are time reading ?

TMPS Sensor 09+ For Sale
x1 Seat Belt For Sale
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 08:53 AM   #35
F80M
Major
Rep
Drives: M Fap

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSport35TT View Post

It's worth wasting time to make you smart. Obviously, it didn't work...
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 09:13 AM   #36
MSport35TT
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335ix  [1.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Octane
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSport35TT View Post

It's worth wasting time to make you smart. Obviously, it didn't work...
Smart would be providing a little more info on ur pointless opinions. Please see above for a good example. Funny how ur quick for the fight and take away from the original purpose of this thread, yet fail to put the time to provide helpful experience with each product you apparently had. You started your first post with "not liking to discuss about this shit" so why chirp up at all?

TMPS Sensor 09+ For Sale
x1 Seat Belt For Sale
Appreciate 0