E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Just installed ecs drilled&slotted rotors

05-06-2014, 07:20 PM   #1
streetdreamz335i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 bmw 335i

Thought I would share my weekend project with the Bimmer community .. So I installed my ecs drilled and slotted rotors with some hawk hps pads that I picked up from ecstuning.. Btw must say ecs's customer service was on point.
Long story short I needed new brakes all around and decided I was going to look for a complete kit instead of piecing it together from different places I had seen the kit on ecstuning.com for 570 in March and decided I was going to keep looking and reading reviews on other kits then April came around and they increased the price to 609 I emailed them and asked why the price hike and if possible could I get the price I had seen them for I also sent the screen shot I had taken with the lower price, within a couple hours they told me they would honor the 570 price I ordered the kit right away the only problems I ran into was with the shipping damn ups guy didn't even ring the door bell or knock just left the packages and bounced!!! Anyways the install was pretty smooth except for putting in the new pads the clips on the pads are so fkn hard to push in took alil longer then I expected lol..also came with new brake sensors and new centering bolts!! So far love them and they look great i haven't ran into any problems yet some people say that you get a squeak and humming with drilled and slotted rotors but only time I have heard them hum was on a hard stop on the freeway this morn 60 frwy traffic sucks!! Also did an oil change as well since the car was up on jacks.. I think I will be ordering my coilovers through them since they have free shipping on certain things!!! Oh and I know I need to paint my brake calipers but ran out of time had to work after install
Attached Images

05-06-2014, 08:06 PM   #2
NGEE
Fuck it dude, let's go bowling.
Rep
Drives: 1M

Looks good. Engine bay is sweet! What kind of paint did you use on the cover? And how did you get your intake honeycomb so clean?! Hope you garage it tho with no cowl I installed the M3 cowl to clear things out a bit.

I also installed the ECS drilled/slotted setup with Hawk ceramics. I think you will soon discover the helicopter sound at hard braking! Good luck with your setup!
      05-06-2014, 08:07 PM   #3
335iAP
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW E92 & F26

Looks good. How do they feel compared to the stock brakes? And why'd you need new ones? Just worn out?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 08:16 PM   #4
streetdreamz335i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGEE
Looks good. Engine bay is sweet! What kind of paint did you use on the cover? And how did you get your intake honeycomb so clean?! Hope you garage it tho with no cowl I installed the M3 cowl to clear things out a bit.

[IMG]http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q...ps1f5c9bea.jpg[/IMG]

I also installed the ECS drilled/slotted setup with Hawk ceramics. I think you will soon discover the helicopter sound at hard braking! Good luck with your setup!
I used a high temp plastic paint did about 5 coats then 2 clear coats!
And I work at night so I garage my car during the day and when I usually get home in the am I open my hood to allow some cool air in and the heat to escape faster but I usually have a rag with some plastic cleaner and I do a quick clean up of everything under the hood!
      05-06-2014, 08:16 PM   #5
kaybat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4MR, '14 Cayman S

Garage List
'06 Z4M  [0.00]
i have that brake setup on an e46,they work great, but are a little noisy(air venting)just my experience.enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 08:20 PM   #6
streetdreamz335i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iAP
Looks good. How do they feel compared to the stock brakes? And why'd you need new ones? Just worn out?
They feel just as good or maybe even alil more bite but I haven't had to use them hard just yet nothing over 80mph stop yet!! And yes needed new pads and rotors so figured I'd go different and BMW wanted 1200 for oem stuff
      05-06-2014, 08:23 PM   #7
bahasad
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30, E90

Great mod but I would have painted the calipers a nice color to match the look of the rotors.

This is definitely my next upgrade except I heard drilled & slotted rotors are more prone to rust, cracking, and they wear through the street pads quickly. Might just go with slotted rotors + pads.
      05-06-2014, 08:34 PM   #8
streetdreamz335i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahasad
Great mod but I would have painted the calipers a nice color to match the look of the rotors.

This is definitely my next upgrade except I heard drilled & slotted rotors are more prone to rust, cracking, and they wear through the street pads quickly. Might just go with slotted rotors + pads.
I was planning on painting them but ran out of time since I had to be at work that same night I figure maybe after Mother's Day weekend I'll paint them ! As for the rust problem I got the coated rotors that ecs offers I believe geomet is what it's called ! And that's why it took me so long to pull the trigger on drilled and slotted but I have seen and heard nothing but great things about these rotors and was told as long as I don't plan on tracking or running the brakes extremely hard I shouldn't ever have to worry about cracks
      05-06-2014, 09:27 PM   #9
StealYourFace
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M 6mt, E36 M3

Sharp. I won't do slotted rotors again because after a while they tend to hum on harder braking, can't deny the looks.

How is the initial bite of those pads on the street? I haven't found a street only pad that I like as much as oem. Would like to find something that dusts less, looking fwd to see what you have to say about the pad in that regard.

(BTW, it's Bimmer )
      05-11-2014, 04:40 PM   #10
BMWho
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E90

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetdreamz335i View Post
Thought I would share my weekend project with the Beamer community .. So I installed my ecs drilled and slotted rotors with some hawk hps pads that I picked up from ecstuning.. Btw must say ecs's customer service was on point.
Long story short I needed new brakes all around and decided I was going to look for a complete kit instead of piecing it together from different places I had seen the kit on ecstuning.com for 570 in March and decided I was going to keep looking and reading reviews on other kits then April came around and they increased the price to 609 I emailed them and asked why the price hike and if possible could I get the price I had seen them for I also sent the screen shot I had taken with the lower price, within a couple hours they told me they would honor the 570 price I ordered the kit right away the only problems I ran into was with the shipping damn ups guy didn't even ring the door bell or knock just left the packages and bounced!!! Anyways the install was pretty smooth except for putting in the new pads the clips on the pads are so fkn hard to push in took alil longer then I expected lol..also came with new brake sensors and new centering bolts!! So far love them and they look great i haven't ran into any problems yet some people say that you get a squeak and humming with drilled and slotted rotors but only time I have heard them hum was on a hard stop on the freeway this morn 60 frwy traffic sucks!! Also did an oil change as well since the car was up on jacks.. I think I will be ordering my coilovers through them since they have free shipping on certain things!!! Oh and I know I need to paint my brake calipers but ran out of time had to work after install
What did you do to get those rims black?

Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 04:43 PM   #11
streetdreamz335i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWho
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetdreamz335i View Post
Thought I would share my weekend project with the Beamer community .. So I installed my ecs drilled and slotted rotors with some hawk hps pads that I picked up from ecstuning.. Btw must say ecs's customer service was on point.
What did you do to get those rims black?
I had them powder coated!!! at first I plasti dipped them but got tired of the peeling