E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Seibon CF Hood quality = bad

03-21-2008, 12:52 PM   #1
ssjLancer
Private
Rep
Drives: 07' 328xi Sedan

Seibon CF Hood quality = bad

Pics will be up in a couple hours.

Picked up the hood, and there was a slight bump on one side. Went back to the warehouse and had 2 more opened up and they had the same problem.
Fitment is about 3mm off. Probably not noticeable to the average looker at first, but very noticeable when pointed out.
In the light the hood doesnt look completely smooth, probably from the cf process. Hood itself is undamaged.

Still looks good overall though, matches really well with black sapphire. From 10ft away a person might just think the hood was black sapphire with and odd pattern.

Wondering if Id be able do anything more with the 3mm off alignment? what if I bring it to a shop?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2008, 01:09 PM   #2
ssjLancer
Private
Rep

Another thing. I saw this thread.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...highlight=hood

How do you get the BMW logo on? Do you just take the emblem from the old hood and stick it on new one? cause mine doesnt have an indent for the hood.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2008, 10:55 AM   #3
inandout
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 4 Rings

Hmm. Thanks for the headsup.

I thought the QC of the Seibon products was a lot better than back in the days.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2008, 05:50 PM   #4
shift330
Blue Force Tracker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I've got a Seibon hood too. Is the imperfection down by the driver's side headlight? If you bought it and just installed it I would suggest taking it to a shop, have them wetsand it to get rid of the factory sealer and have it cleared with a good clearcoat to keep it from yellowing. Mine lined up perfectly. I'm runing with out badges on the cf hood and trunk lid since they don't have the indents. If you put bages on, I would use CF instead of the factory ones since it would match better.

Stay safe 855th MP Company! Hosmer/Espinoza you're my boys!!
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2008, 04:42 PM   #5
ssjLancer
Private
Rep

Ok Im wondering if I should get the sides painted(so the colour matches up with the A-pillar). Or Im thinking about painting the middle black so it would look like CF stripes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shift330 View Post
I've got a Seibon hood too. Is the imperfection down by the driver's side headlight? If you bought it and just installed it I would suggest taking it to a shop, have them wetsand it to get rid of the factory sealer and have it cleared with a good clearcoat to keep it from yellowing. Mine lined up perfectly. I'm runing with out badges on the cf hood and trunk lid since they don't have the indents. If you put bages on, I would use CF instead of the factory ones since it would match better.
Yes, theres a slight bump and it doesnt completely close on that side. Which makes a slightly larger gap on the passenger side. Ill talk to the shop and see what they can do to make it line up better(put a washer in the hinges?)
Yeah Im getting the CF badges off ebay.

As for the yellowing I just plan on waxing the car hood every month. Hopefully that helps out.

I got pics but it was hazy outside so it didnt show up well. Ill get pics at night with the flash.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2008, 05:51 PM   #6
McLuVan
Lieutenant General
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjLancer View Post
Another thing. I saw this thread.

How do you get the BMW logo on? Do you just take the emblem from the old hood and stick it on new one? cause mine doesnt have an indent for the hood.
really?
      03-23-2008, 10:10 PM   #7
bluespeed117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

Garage List
2007 e90 328i  [0.00]
Whats the price for one of these hoods?
      03-24-2008, 03:26 AM   #8
retiredgamer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 Coupe

around 600 shipped from ebay. i was thinking of getting one myself but i dont know about not having the BMW emblem on the hood. I kinda like the emblem on the hood and without the indentations for it, it might look ghetton just sitting on top of the hood.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2008, 01:42 AM   #9
ssjLancer
Private
Rep

This guy pm'ed me about his hood. He ended up screwing in the holes and putting in the factory roundel. Looks good.

Heres the huge gap on the drivers side, the hood doesnt close completely. You can also see that the hood is about 3mm off. Theres a bigger gap on the passengers side.

Heres the bump on the drivers side(right in the corner) Its completely flush on the passengers side.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2008, 01:07 PM   #10
turbotko
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 M3

Painting the sides makes all the difference in the world on the lighter colored cars, not sure about Black though. I also noticed the fit wasn't perfect on my hood, but for the money I can't complain. I'm a BMW Master Tech and spent 2 hours getting it to fit perfect, it did help alot. Mine BTW did not have any imperfections in it whatsoever.

Here's a couple of pics. of my car
Attached Images

03-25-2008, 04:39 PM   #11
BMdblU
Brigadier General
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: F80

that just looks wrong
Appreciate 0