E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Aftermarket suspension new tire purchasers, BEWARE!

09-10-2012, 08:39 PM   #1
CALWATERBOY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 N54

Aftermarket suspension new tire purchasers, BEWARE!

So there's ol' Waterboy, victim of love....rear tires thrashed t'threads. Word comes down: No More PS2's!! Substitute: Michelin PSS

"Sure" says I - "Looking forward" -- Tire Rack delivers a day shy o'the limit. I part with my modified ride, already anticipating the sweet feel of new shoes.

I pick up my ride, feeling the love just moving in the parking lot. Now an on-ramp....highway speed. Gently! New shoes....

Egad! She squiggles....won't hold a line without constant driver correction....feels odd, corners. Could PSS be >somewhat< incompatible with PS2?????

A day passes. Two. Genuinely perturbed, I jack up my ride....rear tires off...and what do I see?

My ride height's changed!

Right side 3/16" higher than left....maybe skosh more! The guy at the tire shop thought he'd improve on Waterboy's home grown, back yard, bumpkin adjust.

WRONGO!

Breakin' out my spring wrench, I return my suspension to normalcy....she rides sweet! She meshes! She's back on those rails!

The moral of this tale? Stand up, stand up! Stand up for your rights! Give 3rd parties explicit instructions, with no holds barred. Best done in the spirit of cooperation, show no weakness. Hold friendly, but firm. Do not allow opportunity to undo your hard won gains! Good luck out there....over & out....

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 09-11-2012 at 08:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 09:02 PM   #2
M3_Dylan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY
So there's ol' Waterboy, victim of love....rear tires thrashed t'threads. Word comes down: No More PS2's!! Substitute: Michelin PSS

"Sure" says I - "Looking forward!" Tire Rack delivers a day shy o'the limit. I part with my modified ride, already anticipating the sweet feel of new shoes.

I pick up my ride, feeling the love just moving in the parking lot. Now an on-ramp....highway speed. Gently! New shoes....

Egad! She squiggles....won't hold a line without constant driver correction....feels odd, corners. Could PSS be >somewhat&lt; incompatible with PS2?????

A day passes. Two. Genuinely perturbed, I jack up my ride....rear tires off...and what do I see?

My ride height's changed!

Right side 3/16" higher than left....maybe skosh more! The guy at the tire ship thought he'd improve on Waterboy's home grown, back yard, bumpkin adjust.

WRONGO!

Breakin' out my spring wrench, I return my suspension to normalcy....she rides sweet! She meshes precisely! She's back on those rails!

The moral of this tale? Stand up, stand up! Stand up for your rights! Give 3rd parties explicit instructions, with no holds barred. Best done in the spirit of cooperation, show no weakness! Hold friendly, but firm! Do not allow opportunity to undo your hard won gains! Good luck out there....over & out....

Wow...

Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 12:09 AM   #3
CALWATERBOY
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiledxjoker View Post
Wow...
Yeah I know - was totally annoyed. Most don't realize how large the effect of small suspension changes can be.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 01:23 AM   #4
NiVeDh
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i, '99 E36 M3

Garage List
Why did the tire guy change the ride height? Or are the new tires just taller?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 08:54 AM   #5
CALWATERBOY
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiVeDh View Post
Why did the tire guy change the ride height? Or are the new tires just taller?
Guessing the natural inclination to tinker was too much for the guy.

To take tires out of the equation, ride height's measured from the top of the wheel arch [sheet metal] to the bottom of the rim loaded normally on a level surface. I do mean level - more than 1/8" diff wheel to wheel is a big problem; I take pains to have no diff.

I noted the number of threads above the gold collar, rear springs, had been changed:

Name:  Ground Control Suspension.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  251.4 KB

A few pulls on the spring wrench - tighten clamp w/hex key - my broke ride transformed to new hotness!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 09:38 AM   #6
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2007 328i Saloon

Garage List
something like this happened to me. Had someone replace my front struts with BMW Perf V1, gave explicit instructions to use all new parts including bump stops. Sure enough they didn't replace bump stops. When confronted tech claimed "the old ones are better". Owner fought not to redo but I insisted and they reluctantly complied.
New bump stops were taller but this is what BMW provided as compatible. Good thing I was specific in the beginning to hold them to their word.
Appreciate 0