E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Vargas Turbos Update

11-02-2012, 03:40 PM   #1
Tony@vargasturbotech
Banned
Rep
Drives: N54

Vargas Turbos Update

What's up guys, as promised here is an update today on the progress and some new additions to the upgrades as well as a updated time frame. I have a few exciting additions I would like to mention as well.

The first is, I have sourced upgraded high performance TD04 thrust parts that use a high strength alloy thrust bearing instead of the typical bronze that uses an upgraded design with an extra oiling hole to keep more oil where it is needed and keep the temps down, as well as thrust flinger, and thrust collar that can only be used with this thrust. These upgraded parts will add quite a bit of thrust load strength and give the turbos a much longer lifespan when pushing them hard and also help curb the oiling problems. These upgraded thrust parts will be available as an option on all stage 2 turbos.

I will also be offering as an option full TD04 thrust parts including the step gap compressor piston ring as an option for stage 1A and B, to do this I have to have custom flingers and collars made to fit the stock wheels.

Next, I am working closely with a company that makes aerospace impregnated alloys which require no lubrication at the high speeds, loads, and heat these turbos see. I will be having some custom journal and thrust bearings made and will be modifying some bearing housings to do some testing. What I am trying to do is eliminate this oiling problem these turbos are plagued with. If the testing is successful these parts will also be offered as an option for the turbos as well. As you can see I am not just trying to make another hybrid like what is already on the market. I am trying to bring the community something new and better.

The prices are not changing at all from the last announcement of the included parts. But now that I have sourced these performance thrust parts, they are not cheap so I have to offer these as an option. the upgraded thrust parts option will most likely come in somewhere around $250, keep in mind you do not need these parts. The turbos are fine with the standard TD04 thrust parts but if these are available I would be doing a disservice to not offer them. The option to upgrade stage 1 to TD04 thrust parts and seal plate will come in around $150 again not needed but just better. The impregnated bearing system and oil modification option I haven't got my prices back yet so I'll keep you guys posted.

Now to the time frame. For Stage 1, I have confirmation the custom 14T wheels will ship to me Nov 16th meaning as soon as I get them I can get a set on the test car and ship as soon as we test successfully. Stage 2, I received an email from my vendor yesterday stating the full back wheels are still 30 days out due to death in the family leading to the engineer being gone for over a week. I know this is disappointing but when you are having custom parts cast you cannot dictate to them the speed at which they are made. Basically what that means is I wont see them til december. But what it also means is. I will pull all my cores down and have them all machined and waiting for these parts so when they arrive. We balance, assemble, and ship to the betas. As always if anyone who has put money down does not want to wait, please feel free to call and we can get your money back to you.

Honestly I am excited about these turbos and I have spent many nights waking up and writing notes on my phone, test fitting, having samples made, having different ones made, all to try to make these not just another hybrid upgrade. I am really excited to see the finished product. If I told you guys how much I have spent on developing these things you would laugh. I basically have to sell 25 sets to make my money back. So as I said this isn't a money making deal for me.

Ok on to stage 3. Long Block FINALLY arrived. Will be going on the stand monday and fabrication can start. So while we wait on parts we can be doing something. I have no solid release date for stage 3, but were working on it.

The pricing hasn't changed and is on the website. But here I'll post it here for easy access. Stage 1A $1499, Stage 1B $1799, Stage 2 $2499, Stage 3 TBD. Stage one TD04 thrust option $150 / TBD, Stage 2 upgraded thrust parts option $250 / TBD, Impregnated bearing system TBD. Also just a heads up we offer stock replacement turbos for $799 for the set, and we can also add the TD04 thrust upgrade with step gap piston ring for stock replacements as well. So basically if you want to stay stock but want them to last a little longer, this is the way to go.

As always thank you guys for the interest and support.

I'll now do a break down starting at stage 1 and go from the turbine side and go through the turbos, then do the same with stage 2, then stage 3

Stage 1A

Stock turbine housing no upgraded wastegate flapper
Stock turbine wheel
Stock bearing housing
Stock internals
14T compressor wheel
Modified compressor housing to accept 14T wheel
Brand new factory actuators
Stainless steel wave washer and spacer to eliminate all play of the rod end on the wastegate arm

Option - Full TD04 thrust parts with step gap piston ring on compressor side

Stage 1B

Stock Turbine housing upgraded to stainless steel Billet wastegate flapper and arm
Stock turbine wheel
Stock bearing housing
Stock internals
14T compressor wheel
Modified compressor housing to accept 14T wheel
Stainless steel wave washer and spacer to eliminate all play of the rod end on the wastegate arm

Option - Full TD04 thrust parts with step gap piston ring on compressor side

Stage 2

Modified turbine housing to take TD04 fullback wheel
Wastegate flapper and arm upgraded to full stainless billet
Proprietary fullback TD04 turbine wheel
Step gap turbine piston ring
Proprietary journal bearings
Full TD04 thrust parts including flinger, collar, thrust, and seal plate
Proprietary TD04 step gap compressor piston ring
15T compressor wheel
Modified compressor housing to accept 15T wheel
Stainless steel wave washer and spacer to eliminate all play of the rod end on the arm

Option 1 - High performance thrust parts with alloy thrust bearing with matching flinger, and collar
Option 2 if testing is successful - Aerospace impregnated journal and thrust bearings, modified oiling system to eliminate inherent MHI oiling problems

Stage 3
Custom exhaust manifolds with vband outlets
Twin Garrett GT or GTX turbos 3 size options of each to choose from
Custom down pipes utilizing all factory o2 placements
Oil and water lines
Intake piping
Charge piping to intercooler inlet
All hardware and misc parts. (bolts, vacuum hose, fittings, etc)
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 03:50 PM   #2
cstavaru
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i M Sport Sedan 6MT

Nice update. I went with RB because I can't afford to use newly released turbos in Europe, but I really think you should strive to offer a clipped turbine wheel on Stage 1 turbos. It has been proven to work with Turbo Dynamics and LOBA Motorsports, with like 20+ whp gains (and probably an all-around fatter power band) from what I read. Without the clipping you will be offering a product (the Stage 1) that will probably not work. I mean, a pair of new turbos costs like $1200, so for $1500-$1700 the customer would expect some gains.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 03:57 PM   #3
Tony@vargasturbotech
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstavaru View Post
Nice update. I went with RB because I can't afford to use newly released turbos in Europe, but I really think you should strive to offer a clipped turbine wheel on Stage 1 turbos. It has been proven to work with Turbo Dynamics and LOBA Motorsports, with like 20+ whp gains (and probably an all-around fatter power band) from what I read. Without the clipping you will be offering a product (the Stage 1) that will probably not work. I mean, a pair of new turbos costs like $1200, so for $1500-$1700 the customer would expect some gains.
We have used plenty of clipped turbines over the years. Its not really the way to go. The stage ones are basically an alternative to stock and will show some gains we are hoping, but just the added longevity over stock with the upgraded thrust parts is worth the little extra price. We are actually considering dropping stage 1A to $1299, its being discussed. Getting a baseline on our test car with stockers next week then when the wheels come in we will retest. If we feel a clipped turbine will be beneficial, which right now we don't. There is nothing we need to change except clip the wheels before we balance and assemble. I appreciate the feedback.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 04:25 PM   #4
scottp999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 4runner SR5

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [9.00]
Nice detailed list. What's the status of beta testing?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 04:31 PM   #5
Young_Man
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

I can't wait to see more about the Stage 2... I'm waiting patiently. Keep up the great work guys.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 06:39 PM   #6
Envuks
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 e92 335xi

I just wanted to say thank you for all the hard work that you're clearly putting into this. Personally, I think it's awesome.

I'm not I'm the market (yet) for new turbos bc mine were replaced under warranty 5k miles ago, but I'm sure they'll get replaced again while I own the car. I'm happy to know when my time comes that I'll have some great stock-like options available thanks to your hard work. I can't imagine running the huge ones, but knowing an upgrade is available at a fair price makes me very happy.

Thanks again

18" BBS RGRs, KW v1, ESS Stage 2 flash, VRSF 7" FMIC, VRSF downpipes, JG Mods m-tech front, mtec V3 AEs, BMS OCC, hardwired valentine 1, p3cars gauge, amber delete, sport seats, factory oil cooler.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 07:18 PM   #7
Lilbro
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Thank you for your hard word and R&D. Patiently waiting for the stage 2 upgrades and maybe get it on a dyno when your are ready.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 08:06 PM   #8
farbmw
Brigadier General
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 6SPD MANUAL!

Nice I will be calling you soon!

Link to my M4 euro delivery! http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1006526
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 08:34 PM   #9
onesuperboi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 e92 335i COBB 4.01 Stage 1

Thank you for the updates!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 08:46 PM   #10
blisstik
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92

Are the options for Stage 2 an either or option, or can they be combined?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 09:51 PM   #11
mave198
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Thanks for all the hard work and updates. Anxiously looking forward to the results!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 10:39 PM   #12
Tony@vargasturbotech
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisstik
Are the options for Stage 2 an either or option, or can they be combined?
If the testing of the impregnated parts is successful we will be having the upgraded thrust design made out of the impregnated alloy to work with the flinger and collar. So that option will include both upgrades
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 10:45 PM   #13
turb0mik3
Rep
Drives: E90 335i Racecar

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [8.90]
Think these upgrades will be available when I come in for the beta install?!?!?!

HG Motorsports | Motiv Motorsport | Sparta Evolution | BBS Motorsports | Sabelt | JRZ |
NASA ST1 SoCal --- 554whp/487wtrq --- 3200lbs <<YouTube Channel w/ Race Videos>>
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 11:00 PM   #14
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

good stuff tony!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 11:24 PM   #15
Eric335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 SG 335i 6MT

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [7.66]
Looks good Tony! Cant wait for more develpments. Im very interested in your Stage 2s
      11-02-2012, 11:49 PM   #16
Tony@vargasturbotech
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turb0mike
Think these upgrades will be available when I come in for the beta install?!?!?!
Hey Mike, I am getting a lot of questions about this. The upgraded thrust parts will 100% be available before I ship betas. So if any of my beta testers want to add this option just shoot me an email of a call and I'll make sure to install these parts, and add the option price to the total. As far as the oiling fix with the impregnated bearing parts. This remains to be seen, as I will want to fully test these parts in a real world environment before I would put them in a customers turbocharger.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 12:40 AM   #17
nailer335
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i f30 330i g20 m340i

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
2022 m340i  [0.00]
2017 330i xdrive  [0.00]
Im curious and excited about this entire development. Most specifically what your plans are for bringing the stage 3s to the market. Will you have a shop car to install and test on, to then publicly distribute as much data as possible to your market?

Im hoping my OEMs last long enough to see these tried and tested, they would be a hell of a time in an AWD car. So would breaking and rebuilding my drivetrain as a result...
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 12:44 AM   #18
Tony@vargasturbotech
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailer335
Im curious and excited about this entire development. Most specifically what your plans are for bringing the stage 3s to the market. Will you have a shop car to install and test on, to then publicly distribute as much data as possible to your market?

Im hoping my OEMs last long enough to see these tried and tested, they would be a hell of a time in an AWD car. So would breaking and rebuilding my drivetrain as a result...
Stage 3 is a work in progress, yes we have a car to build and test it on, and this will be done before it is released.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 09:28 AM   #19
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan, 2023 M3

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
Its good to see more options for upgraded turbos!
      11-03-2012, 09:51 AM   #20
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

tony I definitely want the option added to my order!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 06:32 PM   #21
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Tony, it would be great to have an idea, rough idea, of the price range the Stage 3 will cost? e.g. something like 4-6k. I know you don't want to be restricted to this estimate, but your best target pricing would be helpful!

Thank you!
      11-03-2012, 06:49 PM   #22
Tony@vargasturbotech
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth
Tony, it would be great to have an idea, rough idea, of the price range the Stage 3 will cost? e.g. something like 4-6k. I know you don't want to be restricted to this estimate, but your best target pricing would be helpful!

Thank you!
More than learned my lesson about announcing pricing and time frames prematurely in these forums. Our goal is to competitively price it with the single kits on the market. I have nothing else besides that on the subject.
Appreciate 0