E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > just installed Sonic S1 Coilovers...

09-10-2012, 01:17 PM   #1
madmanhiker
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 335i

Garage List
just installed Sonic S1 Coilovers...

Overall... the installation was fairly straightforward, with the exception of the rear. The rear spring perch(s) did NOT seat in the control arm correctly because the perch was too small - maybe the 2011's are different. There is a raised circular area in which the black spring perch rests in and the issue we ran into is that the Sonic spring perch's diameter was not wide enough. This forced us to install the spring perch on TOP so that the blue adjustment rings were on top. For those who have the Sonic S1's or are familiar with them, you'll understand this fairly easily. Knowing what we know now after the install (and many times taking them back out to make adjustments. We ended up taking one of the blue rings out (leaving just one ring in extended all they way out) because otherwise, the rear wouldn't be any lower than running H&R Sport springs (which was what I had prior to installing these). The softness vs. hardness takes a little time getting used to sans mouth guard

Regardless, here are the pics afterward:

09-10-2012, 04:17 PM   #2
dinkoh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 e90 lemon/black

Looks great man. Nice ride.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 04:43 PM   #3
bigbro6785
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

Looks good man. How do these ride compared to your old H&R sports?
      09-10-2012, 05:36 PM   #4
madmanhiker
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinkoh View Post
Looks great man. Nice ride.
Thanks.
      09-10-2012, 05:41 PM   #5
madmanhiker
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbro6785 View Post
Looks good man. How do these ride compared to your old H&R sports?
Huge difference... the H&R springs (with oem shocks) rode like the oem sport suspension. The Sonic's (so far) are very stiff. Like, mouth guard stiff. I need to find the right dampening adjustment but I'm getting there...

I also noticed that the handling aspect has a new dynamic. The car definitely handles long sweeping on ramps much better. I'm still testing things out, but next week I am installing a complete Hotchkis sway bar kit and m3 subframe bushings... so this is only temporary.

The Sonic S1's are affordable and perform well (I purchased these based on reviews from others (one local to me) who has had them for a while now. They swear by the Sonics, so I jumped on them as well. We'll see...
      09-10-2012, 05:49 PM   #6
vip
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2001 Alpine White M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmanhiker View Post
Huge difference... the H&R springs (with oem shocks) rode like the oem sport suspension. The Sonic's (so far) are very stiff. Like, mouth guard stiff. I need to find the right dampening adjustment but I'm getting there...

I also noticed that the handling aspect has a new dynamic. The car definitely handles long sweeping on ramps much better. I'm still testing things out, but next week I am installing a complete Hotchkis sway bar kit and m3 subframe bushings... so this is only temporary.

The Sonic S1's are affordable and perform well (I purchased these based on reviews from others (one local to me) who has had them for a while now. They swear by the Sonics, so I jumped on them as well. We'll see...
what dampening setting do you have the front and rear set to? You said its very stiff, but I'd like to know what settings you have it set to.
      09-10-2012, 05:57 PM   #7
madmanhiker
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
right now I have the fronts and the rears set (full soft then 5 clicks back) and I believe there are 12 dampening settings....
      09-12-2012, 11:54 AM   #8
vip
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
right now I have the fronts and the rears set (full soft then 5 clicks back) and I believe there are 12 dampening settings....
so is that 5/12 for front and rear?
      09-12-2012, 12:54 PM   #9
madmanhiker
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vip View Post
so is that 5/12 for front and rear?
yep. The dampening only affects ride quality - not height. Pretty sure you know that, but just saying it...
      09-12-2012, 01:06 PM   #10
vip
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
yep. The dampening only affects ride quality - not height. Pretty sure you know that, but just saying it...
cool, thanks. I plan on installing these soon. I will go with 2 in front and 3 in rear for dampening.
      09-12-2012, 01:22 PM   #11
vip
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
still interesting that even on settings it to 5 F&R you find it bone jarring stiff. Could you add more thoughts on freeway dips, undulations in the road, etc?
      09-12-2012, 01:33 PM   #12
madmanhiker
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
the front is where you feel the hardness of the co's... and 2's in the front will be very hard. I will probably change the fronts up to 8/12 and rears 7/12. I've heard from other sonic s1 users that this is a good setting. Freeway dips are great - no more bottom outs as I did with the H&R's!!! and I am slowly getting used to my new handling. The car is definitely more confident in the twisties and I am really enjoying the new characteristics the vehicle has now.
      09-12-2012, 01:35 PM   #13
vip
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
the front is where you feel the hardness of the co's... and 2's in the front will be very hard. I will probably change the fronts up to 8/12 and rears 7/12. I've heard from other sonic s1 users that this is a good setting. Freeway dips are great - no more bottom outs as I did with the H&R's!!! and I am slowly getting used to my new handling. The car is definitely more confident in the twisties and I am really enjoying the new characteristics the vehicle has now.
If I do 2 in the front, wont that be the softest setting? Why would it be stiff it I set it to soft at 2 in front?