Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Time for my own thread full of abuse... Wheel Weight, O.Z. or Breyton? 8LBS?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

04-22-2008, 06:49 PM   #1
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 i3 X3

Time for my own thread full of abuse... Wheel Weight, O.Z. or Breyton? 8LBS?

I'm selling my DPEs with the Goodyear F1 GS-D3s on em' and going with a less expensive, likely 18" option, that will require less love and that I can worry about less.

So the question is, how important, or how big of difference is 3lbs per corner less VS 11 pounds per corner less than the OEM 189s?

I want the 19" Breyton Race GTS in Matte Grey but they are only 3 lbs lighter than OEM. Cause I love the look.

However the also inexpensive O.Z. Ultraleggeras come in at about 11lbs lighter per corner, and are 18"...

SO, the Question is I suppose just how much of a difference am I going to feel between the two? Seriously 8lbs? I don't think it will matter on the streets and I really do like the looks of the Breytons...

So Comments, other than "WTF are you thinking getting rid of those Fly ass DPE GT7s?" I've been getting that a lot from the ladies... along with a
      04-22-2008, 06:54 PM   #2
TofuTurkey
Gobble gobbledygook
Rep
Drives: 08 335xi Coupe

I asked Gary about 18" GTS in matte gray, he says there's no plans to produce those. That was around 3/24...
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2008, 06:57 PM   #3
Revlis
United_States
Rep

Well that is odd, cause they are in stock...

Edit: OH OH I got you 18", No No, I do understand that I'd be wearing 19" Breytons, you are correct.
Attached Images

04-22-2008, 07:03 PM   #4
Revlis
United_States
Rep

I could tell that the guy buying my wheels locally was a little like WTF? Why would you be getting rid of premium wheels?

Simply put, I am just not into taking care of my wheels enough to really take care of the DPE's. One winter proved this to me.

Nope! I want an inexpensive wheel that looks good and that I can just hose off.

SO yeah ...
Attached Images

04-22-2008, 07:05 PM   #5
Revlis
United_States
Rep

I'm thinking I am all over the Grey Breytons... Something a little different, a little lighter but no biggie, and best of all inexpensive, and as they are painted, less needy.
      04-23-2008, 06:18 AM   #6
TofuTurkey
Gobble gobbledygook
Rep
Drives: 08 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revlis View Post
I want an inexpensive wheel that looks good and that I can just hose off.
When the GTS is dirty, it looks... exactly the same when clean

The OZ wheel was one of my finalists, but it didn't have concavity which I like. The other was the TRMotorsport wheel, which is pretty light too, but again, no concavity.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 10:19 AM   #7
fedinand
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3, '11 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by TofuTurkey View Post

The OZ wheel was one of my finalists, but it didn't have concavity which I like. The other was the TRMotorsport wheel, which is pretty light too, but again, no concavity.
I almost got that wheel and thought there was no concavity, until I saw this picture for the dunlop tires:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....rezza+Sport+Z1

Click on the hi rez large picture option. They are more concave than I thought...if the rears were available I would have picked them up. I think they would look great on Alpine White.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 10:51 AM   #8
Revlis
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TofuTurkey View Post

See that was what I was thinking... No more hassling with the wheels or sweating some brake dust. Just wash N go.

I just have a hard time going with a wheel and tire package that isn't going to save significant weight. Slightly lighter than OEM is cool, but the DPE's were so much lighter... Although I will admit that I didn't notice a whole lot of difference between the DPEs and OEMs when I switched back on Sunday so this all could be sort of a moot point.

I think the Dark Gray will look good with the Alpine white. Something just a little different.