E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > All COBB Tuning AccessPORT Flash for N54 335i Discussion Here

03-31-2013, 07:37 PM   #7151
racerg35335
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Space gray 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylepilot View Post
First post ever in my life.

Wife gave the nod for getting a used 335i the other day. On a minimal budget. Found a clean 2007, with the options I want, but then read somewhere about how 2007's can have more problems when tuning than the 2008's. I called Cobb on Friday and their rep recommended I look for a 2008 or newer. If it is just a small difference between the two, then I'm ok with that (due to the awesome offer I have on the 2007). However if the difference is such that once I tune the 07 I will have more problems than if I tuned an 08+, then I will wait for a good deal on an 08.

The max engine tuning I would plan on getting is the stage 2+ with the required supporting mods. I know the 07 sport option does not come with an oil cooler, but I found an FMIC/OIL cooler combo that would probably work (being that I would need the FMIC for stage 2+ anyways. I also like that with the early 2007 automatics the rear end is bolted making for an LSD cheaper.
That being said, my main question is 07 or 08+? However, any supporting info would be much appreciated.
I bought a fairly low mileage 07 a year and a half ago and its been tuned for a year. I love the car. Only issue i have had is 1 coilpack went out on me. That happens to all n54s regarless of year. Btw...If it has the sport package then it DOES have an oil cooler. I would just make sure all the recall work has been done on it and have it checked over for leaks etc... however I would do that on any used vehicle. If you have a great deal I wouldn't be scared of an 07.
      03-31-2013, 07:41 PM   #7152
Ænema
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerg35335 View Post
I bought a fairly low mileage 07 a year and a half ago and its been tuned for a year. I love the car. Only issue i have had is 1 coilpack went out on me. That happens to all n54s regarless of year. Btw...If it has the sport package then it DOES have an oil cooler. I would just make sure all the recall work has been done on it and have it checked over for leaks etc... however I would do that on any used vehicle. If you have a great deal I wouldn't be scared of an 07.
+1
With an older model year you may have a little more maintenance work/money to spend initially but that's to be expected. There are TONS of tuned 07s running around because of the great prices they are gong for now.
      03-31-2013, 10:10 PM   #7153
VNeBLOB42
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14' GMC Terrain SLT-2

Garage List
007 335i E92  [7.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerg35335 View Post
+2

@pylepilot
I had my tuned for a year now. No issues. My pro tuner actually complemented on the performance. Most likely due to low mileage. But there are horror stories of 07'. Especially in their DME failure, I fall under the build dates where the DME just fails, but so far so good.

If I were to decide I would go with the 08'. If I am not mistaken, I believe the idrive is a bit more sophisticated, mine is pretty generic. This is of course you have this option. But the idrive shouldn't be deciding factor. .

But you are on the right track, know your goals and pick the right application.

And yes 07 have the bolted diff. And yes my car came with the OEM Oil Cooler. It was the early 07 and 06 I believe didn't come with oil cooler unless the sport package. Not exactly sure, but easy to find out.

Oh and S2+ is where you draw the line.. Bwahahahahahaha..... The Bug will overcome you.... ProTune...E85.....Upgraded LPFP....

SOLD:: PTF Pro eTune by Dzenno / COBB S1+ E50
Alpina B3 Flash / ETS FMIC / ER CP / CPE DCI

Last edited by VNeBLOB42; 03-31-2013 at 10:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 01:15 PM   #7154
rborane
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Hey guys, I recently just got my first 335, and am looking at the Cobb tune, or the GIAC tune. The cobb is sticking out to me because of the install ability. I live in Arizona so I am limited to 91 octane gas.

1. Ive heard the Cobb runs alot of boost, is it safe for our turbos?
2. What maps come pre-loaded on the Accessport when you buy it?
3. Any comparison between smoothness and power of Cobb vs. GIAC?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 01:22 PM   #7155
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8, f10m59(Rip), m4, GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by rborane View Post
Hey guys, I recently just got my first 335, and am looking at the Cobb tune, or the GIAC tune. The cobb is sticking out to me because of the install ability. I live in Arizona so I am limited to 91 octane gas.

I've thought about the boost too but I believe stage 1 aggressive doesn't even go past 18psi which means you should be fine for a little spirited driving. I was running non FMIC stage1 aggressive and loved it as a DD. I've only since had problems (not cobbs fault lol) trying to get an FMIC on my car.

Maps on the car come with enough stock maps to get you all the way up to meth+ downpipes if I'm not mistaken so lots of room to grow just on the stock maps (and pro tunes will take you further)

Cobb if you feather the throttle you could run without ever knowing it was on the so very dd driver friendly in my op.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 01:28 PM   #7156
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

Quote:

Tons and tons of info on Cobb and GIAC

Generally speaking I find the Cobb maps lean towards more boost as opposed to more aggressive advance, that's a general statement so don't take it as end all be all. I can't comment much on GIAC though i've read they generally run more timing (grain of salt, I don't use GIAC), but GIAC is well known and has its fair share of users here. TBH I don't remember what comes with the AP, but downloading new maps takes like 5 minutes, so it's largely irrelevant.

When it comes to boost and "safety" it's much more about how things taper, as opposed to peak boost. Stg2+ agg will boost about 18.5psi or so midrange, it tapers pretty strongly down to 12.5 or so approaching redline. Doing that allows cars in all scenarios to be run safely. So in short, yes the OTS maps are all "safe" for your car. Now if you're constantly flogging your turbos for tens of thousands of miles, there's no doubt in my mind they'll wear faster. But that doesn't qualify as "unsafe" in my book, it's what you should expect when you push these snails hard.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 01:32 PM   #7157
Ænema
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats View Post

Generally speaking I find the Cobb maps lean towards more boost as opposed to more aggressive advance, that's a general statement so don't take it as end all be all. I can't comment much on GIAC though i've read they generally run more timing (grain of salt, I don't use GIAC), but GIAC is well known and has its fair share of users here. TBH I don't remember what comes with the AP, but downloading new maps takes like 5 minutes, so it's largely irrelevant.

When it comes to boost and "safety" it's much more about how things taper, as opposed to peak boost. Stg2+ agg will boost about 18.5psi or so midrange, it tapers pretty strongly down to 12.5 or so approaching redline. Doing that allows cars in all scenarios to be run safely. So in short, yes the OTS maps are all "safe" for your car. Now if you're constantly flogging your turbos for tens of thousands of miles, there's no doubt in my mind they'll wear faster. But that doesn't qualify as "unsafe" in my book, it's what you should expect when you push these snails hard.
This.
      04-01-2013, 01:48 PM   #7158
need4doors
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 x5m

Quote:
Originally Posted by VNeBLOB42 View Post
+2

@pylepilot
I had my tuned for a year now. No issues. My pro tuner actually complemented on the performance. Most likely due to low mileage. But there are horror stories of 07'. Especially in their DME failure, I fall under the build dates where the DME just fails, but so far so good.

If I were to decide I would go with the 08'. If I am not mistaken, I believe the idrive is a bit more sophisticated, mine is pretty generic. This is of course you have this option. But the idrive shouldn't be deciding factor. .

But you are on the right track, know your goals and pick the right application.

And yes 07 have the bolted diff. And yes my car came with the OEM Oil Cooler. It was the early 07 and 06 I believe didn't come with oil cooler unless the sport package. Not exactly sure, but easy to find out.

Oh and S2+ is where you draw the line.. Bwahahahahahaha..... The Bug will overcome you.... ProTune...E85.....Upgraded LPFP....
Not all early 2007 with sport packages have the oil cooler. Need to look and see if it has the oil cooler.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 02:39 PM   #7159
VNeBLOB42
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
007 335i E92  [7.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iRlz View Post
I've thought about the boost too but I believe stage 1 aggressive doesn't even go past 18psi which means you should be fine for a little spirited driving. I was running non FMIC stage1 aggressive and loved it as a DD. I've only since had problems (not cobbs fault lol) trying to get an FMIC on my car.

Maps on the car come with enough stock maps to get you all the way up to meth+ downpipes if I'm not mistaken so lots of room to grow just on the stock maps (and pro tunes will take you further)

Cobb if you feather the throttle you could run without ever knowing it was on the so very dd driver friendly in my op.
on 4 out of 6 logs my S1+ Agg. hit 18.0x and a couple hit 18.2x at peak boosts 38xx RPMs. nothing to worry about.

Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 02:41 PM   #7160
VNeBLOB42
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
007 335i E92  [7.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by need4doors View Post
Not all early 2007 with sport packages have the oil cooler. Need to look and see if it has the oil cooler.
right, that's what I meant to say.

Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 02:51 PM   #7161
Drakos
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 G42 M240i

Fedex tracking confirms my Cobb will be delivered today I am so stoked. Will post some logs later so you guys can give me some advice.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 02:58 PM   #7162
VNeBLOB42
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
007 335i E92  [7.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakos View Post
Fedex tracking confirms my Cobb will be delivered today I am so stoked. Will post some logs later so you guys can give me some advice.
and you will receive great help.

my only suggestion is to post the actual csv log file

read this thread:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=696472

Enjoy your new tune!

oh and also post MAP with supporting mods and Fuel.

Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 04:09 PM   #7163
rborane
Captain
Rep

Quote:

I have searched alot, but am looking for a more up to date review. Since I only can run 91, is the drive, or sport maps the ones that I am supposed to run? I am worried that I will cause detonation by running the aggressive maps on 91 octane
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 04:11 PM   #7164
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8, f10m59(Rip), m4, GTR

Quote:
I have searched alot, but am looking for a more up to date review. Since I only can run 91, is the drive, or sport maps the ones that I am supposed to run? I am worried that I will cause detonation by running the aggressive maps on 91 octane
I'd run stage 1 if you've been on stock as you'll still say HOLY S*.

Having spent close to 3k with cobb I'm 100% confident that as long as the battery doesn't die while I'm switching maps/ I don't play around with things in the custom maps before I've really learned it will be solid as a rock for many miles.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 04:22 PM   #7165
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

Quote:
Try stg1 sport, let the car adjust for a bit, and pull a datalog then post it up here. Your car is not going to have serious knock on stg1, it’s just not very aggressive mapping. Just gotta experiment and see how aggressive you can get with 91oct before the log gets too messy. If you have any E85 near you, you could mix in a few gallons to raise the effective octane to around 93, then you’d be in the clear to run stg1 aggressive from a fueling standpoint.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 04:31 PM   #7166
rborane
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Try stg1 sport, let the car adjust for a bit, and pull a datalog then post it up here. Your car is not going to have serious knock on stg1, it’s just not very aggressive mapping. Just gotta experiment and see how aggressive you can get with 91oct before the log gets too messy. If you have any E85 near you, you could mix in a few gallons to raise the effective octane to around 93, then you’d be in the clear to run stg1 aggressive from a fueling standpoint.
sounds good, is it true that E-85 does damage to our fuel pumps?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 04:32 PM   #7167
VNeBLOB42
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
007 335i E92  [7.66]
Quote:
Yahoo!!! ACN 91!!! sorry bro, your stuck like me.

for the car to be very happy, S1 Drive is your best. I ran S1 Sport, you get some timing corrections, but do a log so we can see.

S1+ Sport not a chance, my log was horrible using ACN 91.

Absolutely not, you can't run Agg. MAPs on ACN 91. unless.... hehe

put in 3 gallons of E85 pump and you'll love it.... YAHOO!!....

Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 04:59 PM   #7168
rborane
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VNeBLOB42 View Post
Yahoo!!! ACN 91!!! sorry bro, your stuck like me.

for the car to be very happy, S1 Drive is your best. I ran S1 Sport, you get some timing corrections, but do a log so we can see.

S1+ Sport not a chance, my log was horrible using ACN 91.

Absolutely not, you can't run Agg. MAPs on ACN 91. unless.... hehe

put in 3 gallons of E85 pump and you'll love it.... YAHOO!!....
Really? Thats surprising considering Cobb says they designed the Sport programs specifically for 91 gas.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 05:00 PM   #7169
Ænema
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Really? Thats surprising considering Cobb says they designed the Sport programs specifically for 91 gas.
There's a BIG difference between "91" and ACN 91
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 05:09 PM   #7170
rborane
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ænema View Post
There's a BIG difference between "91" and ACN 91
Wow, I was not familiar with that. So given that I am now limited to the cobb drive map, do you think GIAC would be a better option?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 05:15 PM   #7171
Ænema
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Wow, I was not familiar with that. So given that I am now limited to the cobb drive map, do you think GIAC would be a better option?
Given the same fuel all tunes will perform similarly. The big advantages Cobb offers is map switching, ease of install and user customizability. Like VNeBlob said, mix in a little e85 and Cobb will really start to flex it's muscles.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 05:18 PM   #7172
rborane
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ænema View Post
Given the same fuel all tunes will perform similarly. The big advantages Cobb offers is map switching, ease of install and user customizability. Like VNeBlob said, mix in a little e85 and Cobb will really start to flex it's muscles.
Sounds good but I have heard the E85 is bad for our HPFP.. is that true?
Appreciate 0