E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > aFe N54 Stage 2 Sealed CAI # 54-82002 - Review

04-15-2012, 02:10 PM   #45
135Hoser
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: '16 m4 zcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT#2 View Post
That's a really nice extra hot air snorkel you've created there!
Right above the hot turbos and engine.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 02:59 PM   #46
M///1rider
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Hoser
Quote:
Unless the whole design is carbon fiber anything is going to get a little heat because of how close everything is to the engine bay.

The thing that im thinking of doing of my M is a carbon fiber hood with air slits right about where the intake is like in rezosports design it will let off a good amount of heat.

But the point is were trying to find something thats better than stock and its not 2.5k like dinan or gruppe M you go ahead and be my guest to buy a 2500 intake while i buy rb turbos with my heatsoaked AFE intake buddy

The negativity is ridiculous on this forum

Are u always miserable?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 03:15 PM   #47
TurboBullett@Ambient Thermal Management
Major
TurboBullett@Ambient Thermal Management's Avatar
Rep
Drives: 2012 Abarth 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
Looks like an interesting setup! Each snorkel above the radiator is around 1"x6", then they merge to the 3"x4". So you have both of those feeding in the 3"x4", then an additional port going in the side of the air box? If so then your version of this should work much better than the drawing I saw above of the AFE air feeds.

Mike
Yes correct, the other Afe version that attaches a snorkel to each inlet port at the front of the car would actually flow less than stock whereas my setup will flow more. My cowl inlet/elbow which was a 2.5" round silicone is enough flow for 1 of the turbos. My setup had 16.5 sq/in of flow area
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 03:18 PM   #48
TurboBullett@Ambient Thermal Management
Major
TurboBullett@Ambient Thermal Management's Avatar
Rep
Drives: 2012 Abarth 500

Quote:
It pulls the air from the cowl outside the car, which is also a high pressure zone like the factory inlets at the front of the car. the airbox in my car with this setup was always cold, as there is no way for hot air to enter.
Hand formed cowl inlet!

Here's the cold air pickup(with the original wire hose)

And here is my old S4 that utilized a similar system!

Last edited by TurboBullett@Ambient Thermal Management; 04-15-2012 at 03:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 03:33 PM   #49
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35i M Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTurboBullett View Post
Yes correct, the other Afe version that attaches a snorkel to each inlet port at the front of the car would actually flow less than stock whereas my setup will flow more. My cowl inlet/elbow which was a 2.5" round silicone is enough flow for 1 of the turbos. My setup had 16.5 sq/in of flow area
Beautiful, will be doing this, and I probably can get a snorkel made for the cowl instead of using a flex tubbing. On the wish list.....

So I got couple off this on wish list

1) Gasket Seals for the filter cup inlet, and cover. A rubber boot for the stock snorkel to have a sealed connection to the aFe airbox

2) Snorkel for the cowl
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 06:30 PM   #50
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep

There is only one thing I will like to report, acceleration is smoother than ice now. I thought it was smooth before with just the RENNtech tune but the new intake makes it absolutely "flawless" refined and wrinkle free in acceleration smoothness

Now I can full WOT in any gear with out having hesitation, static, plurps, spurts in the acceleration. Its just a fantastic feeling. Couple of times I would be doing 50, or 60, or 70, geared down to 4th or 5th gear at WOT and I shoot like a rocket.

Will have a local member test drive this week and see what he thinks also

Edit: I never had this with the Dinan CAI
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 06:42 PM   #51
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuraQ View Post
There is only one thing I will like to report, acceleration is smoother than ice now. I thought it was smooth before with just the RENNtech tune but the new intake makes it absolutely "flawless" refined and wrinkle free in acceleration smoothness

Now I can full WOT in any gear with out having hesitation, static, plurps, spurts in the acceleration. Its just a fantastic feeling. Couple of times I would be doing 50, or 60, or 70, geared down to 4th or 5th gear at WOT and I shoot like a rocket.

Will have a local member test drive this week and see what he thinks also

Edit: I never had this with the Dinan CAI
What is with this "it feels like" review stuff? No data logs? No IATs? No WGDC? No dyno? Honestly, you will feel like something is faster if you spent $500 because you want to believe it.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 07:17 PM   #52
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former_Boosted_IS View Post
What is with this "it feels like" review stuff? No data logs? No IATs? No WGDC? No dyno? Honestly, you will feel like something is faster if you spent $500 because you want to believe it.
Did you read the entire thread ?
Did you read what i said I will have a local member drive it to get his opinion ?

If there is a 10-15 Hp increase I am not going to "feel" that. Nothing in the statment makes claim about performance increase and if you had read the thread properly you would known the data you are seeking will be posted this week.

Smoothness does no denote increase in performance
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 07:29 PM   #53
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Did you read what i said I will have a local member drive it to get his opinion ?

If there is a 10-15 Hp increase I am not going to "feel" that. Nothing in the statment makes claim about performance increase and if you had read the thread properly you would known the data you are seeking will be posted this week.

Smoothness does no denote increase in performance
BuraQ, I am sorry but I have been in this game a long time and written a lot of reviews for this car. I did read the thread and still feel the same as when I originally posted.

I am curious how a CAI intake can make your car feel smoother?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 07:34 PM   #54
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
BuraQ, I am sorry but I have been in this game a long time and written a lot of reviews for this car. I did read the thread and still feel the same as when I originally posted.

I am curious how a CAI intake can make your car feel smoother?
If you read the entire thread why ask me something that the answer was already given ?

If you been in the game for a very long time with the N54 then you should know the answer to that last question unless you have always been walking the bumpy road.

I am done with you...take it or leave it, results will be posted at end of the week.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 07:34 PM   #55
135Hoser
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: '16 m4 zcp

Quote:
Opinions are simply that. Opinions. I don't really care if you have 400 other people drive it and they say it's nicer than the Dinan. I'd also like to see some useful data mapped across a dozen or so pulls.

OP really needs to relax and stop freaking out and thinking every post requesting info or commenting on stuff is a personal attack. Stating you're going to publish information on a forum opens you up to this kind of stuff.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 07:43 PM   #56
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
If you read the entire thread why ask me something that the answer was already given ?

If you been in the game for a very long time with the N54 then you should know the answer to that last question unless you have always been walking the bumpy road.

I am done with you...take it or leave it, results will be posted at end of the week.
Hmmm, I have been walking the bumpy road? Why don't you read just 2 of my reviews and see if your opinion changes...

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ight=stett+cai

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...itrous+express

Please let me know after reading these posts if you don't think I understand the platform. An intake will not make the car run smoother. End of story.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 08:09 PM   #57
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hmmm, I have been walking the bumpy road? Why don't you read just 2 of my reviews and see if your opinion changes...

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ight=stett+cai

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...itrous+express

Please let me know after reading these posts if you don't think I understand the platform. An intake will not make the car run smoother. End of story.
Didnt read all but I got your point....so what could of made the car run smoother subsequently right after I installed the new intake ? It wasnt immediate but progressive.

interesting, there are countless of reports(Google is your best friend) from all types of car onwers including owners of the N54 on a majority forums claiming smoother acceleration after installing a new intake and you suggest this is all mental and you expect me to take you seriously ? But of course why take me serioulsy if it is mental....understood.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 08:16 PM   #58
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Didnt read all but I got your point....so what could of made the car run smoother subsequently right after I installed the new intake ? It wasnt immediate but progressive.

interesting, there are countless of reports(Google is your best friend) from all types of car onwers including owners of the N54 on a majority forums claiming smoother acceleration after installing a new intake and you suggest this is all mental and you expect me to take you seriously ?
The intake will give you two gains ... lower IATs and less restriction to flow. The restriction can be measured by logging WGDC and IATs are directly loggable. To determine the effectiveness of your intake you can log both and post.

I am still saying that installing an intake will not make your car run smoother with all else equal.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 08:23 PM   #59
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The intake will give you two gains ... lower IATs and less restriction to flow. The restriction can be measured by logging WGDC and IATs are directly loggable. To determine the effectiveness of your intake you can log both and post.

I am still saying that installing an intake will not make your car run smoother with all else equal.
So it doesnt matter of a before and after then, a current log will be sufficient of the effectiveness of the intake ?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 08:52 PM   #60
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
So it doesnt matter of a before and after then, a current log will be sufficient of the effectiveness of the intake ?
You definitely need a before an after. If you are testing the IAT, establish a baseline and try to repeat the testing under identical circumstances. Here is the testing I did...

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ett+cai+review

I honestly think the WGDC testing is irrelevent because your intake will outperform stock. If you were comparing two aftermarket intakes the WGDC would be more important. The IAT testing will be the most interesting.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 10:45 PM   #61
2Times
I'd hit it
United_States
Rep
Drives: G82

Garage List
2023 BMW M4 xd  [10.00]
I'd love to see logs between the afe dci and sealed box.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 10:51 PM   #62
E3r2E9r
Banned
Rep
Drives: 3 Series

Only problem with testing IAT before and after is the intercooler will play a role.

In order to see effective IAT reduction one would need to install a IAT sensor pre turbo IMO.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 12:22 AM   #63
jippii ensio
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Just keep the FMIC and ambient temps unchanged and the engine fully warmed to get perfect comparison.

Also 60-130mph comparisons would tell how it performs.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 01:34 AM   #64
Fundahl
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M, 300zx TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by E3r2E9r View Post
Only problem with testing IAT before and after is the intercooler will play a role.

In order to see effective IAT reduction one would need to install a IAT sensor pre turbo IMO.
Pre-intercooler temps will affect post-intercooler temps. The change will be noticeable if there is significant difference. The important part is similiar atmospheric conditions, similar load/boost target, and same fuel.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 02:26 PM   #65
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E3r2E9r View Post

Not if it is the same intercooler before and after. We all run intercoolers, so the data is relevant with the intercooler there.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 02:36 PM   #66
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundahl View Post
Pre-intercooler temps will affect post-intercooler temps. The change will be noticeable if there is significant difference. The important part is similiar atmospheric conditions, similar load/boost target, and same fuel.
Quote:
Not if it is the same intercooler before and after. We all run intercoolers, so the data is relevant with the intercooler there.
I think you missed his point.

The intercooler is not a good control.

This is because depending on the amount of heat soak it has incurred throughout the day, ambient temps ETC it will still vary.

A much more simple control is simply IAT temps at the pre turbo inlet.
Appreciate 0