E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Battery Registration (inserting foot in mouth now)

11-07-2010, 07:44 PM   #111
iflyjetzzz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by J02 335i View Post
I don't want to get in the middle of this but, believe me techs do get paid "book time" of their hourly wage, at least they do here in Canada, I own a shop and I'm a tech and if one of my guys does a job that pays 2.0hr (book time) in 15 minutes or 4 days he gets paid 2.0hr x hourly wage, which say is $30.00 equalling $60.00. The shop billed those 2 hours out at $100, making them $200.00 minus the techs wage. Its called flat rate, this is not new.
I'm 50 years old. It's been that way for as long as I can remember ... and I was a parts driver for a dealership when I was 18 years old.
They had books showing the number of hours for every repair job. Every dealer charged the same number of hours for every job.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 09:13 PM   #112
335ConvE93
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E93 335i Conv

iflyjetzzz do you belong to the Tucson BMWCCA chapter? They may have a reset tool available for use?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 05:40 PM   #113
xxp0loxx
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 Space Gray ACS

I have a few friends back in the states, all of which have gone through their respective field schooling. They work on all the European cars, BMW, Mercs, Audi etc. I was talking about this issue with them because i just put my car into winter storage. When i mentioned this "registration" deal, they about died laughing. according to the pros lol, the whole process is a sham. believe and do what you want.

The charging differences over the course of the batteries life, the low and high voltages issue is all controlled by that big ass black box adapter that is connected to your negative terminal. The Registration fee is no more than installing the battery and clearing the codes. see below

" "registering" a battery is a fancy way of saying they will erase any and all faulty codes due to a battery and synchronize all windows and sensors that have been reset due to battery... replacement. On a Benz, i perform a basic programming which is included in the battery replacement. It's nothing more than synchronizing nec. functions and sensors. This is done without scanning. If I diagnosing an issue and I see battery codes, I erase them. It is no harm to leave them in there. The 150 they are talking about is to replace the battery and erase fault codes. Code erasing is unnecessary. That little black box on your negative cable is a battery monitoring sensor that reports back to the battery control module to ensure proper charging. The sensor sees what's going on, a scanner doesn't tell it what to do. The batteries are glass mat construction and are expensive but last a long time and perform well. The sensor also monitors quiescent current draw when the car is sitting. If it has to it will shut the car completely down if the voltage is too low. But that's another topic. Maintain the battery is the most upmost importance for storage."

Thought this might be helpful
      11-18-2010, 06:18 PM   #114
tom @ eas
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxp0loxx View Post
I have a few friends back in the states, all of which have gone through their respective field schooling. They work on all the European cars, BMW, Mercs, Audi etc. I was talking about this issue with them because i just put my car into winter storage. When i mentioned this "registration" deal, they about died laughing. according to the pros lol, the whole process is a sham. believe and do what you want.

The charging differences over the course of the batteries life, the low and high voltages issue is all controlled by that big ass black box adapter that is connected to your negative terminal. The Registration fee is no more than installing the battery and clearing the codes. see below

" "registering" a battery is a fancy way of saying they will erase any and all faulty codes due to a battery and synchronize all windows and sensors that have been reset due to battery... replacement. On a Benz, i perform a basic programming which is included in the battery replacement. It's nothing more than synchronizing nec. functions and sensors. This is done without scanning. If I diagnosing an issue and I see battery codes, I erase them. It is no harm to leave them in there. The 150 they are talking about is to replace the battery and erase fault codes. Code erasing is unnecessary. That little black box on your negative cable is a battery monitoring sensor that reports back to the battery control module to ensure proper charging. The sensor sees what's going on, a scanner doesn't tell it what to do. The batteries are glass mat construction and are expensive but last a long time and perform well. The sensor also monitors quiescent current draw when the car is sitting. If it has to it will shut the car completely down if the voltage is too low. But that's another topic. Maintain the battery is the most upmost importance for storage."

This is false info, please read below:

Battery Replacement Registration

This Service Function informs the PM that the battery has been replaced. It completes the following operations:

- Battery capacity is set to 80%
- Current Odometer reading are stored. The odometer readings at which the last seven battery replacements took place can be read off from the Diagnosis Requests of Control Unit Functions
- Stored battery statistics (current, voltage , battery charge level) are deleted
- Stored temperature statistics are deleted

More info on AGM type batteries and registration process can be found here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...5&postcount=24

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 06:25 PM   #115
xxp0loxx
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 Space Gray ACS

in my face!

Thanks for the info Tom
      11-18-2010, 06:37 PM   #116
tom @ eas
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
in my face!

Thanks for the info Tom
No worries.

Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 09:58 PM   #117
cb1111
I ask the questions you're afraid to ask.
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:

You know, quoting some random words by some random person you don't even bother to try to identify isn't going to make it true.

You and your "pros" are wrong - even if you don't want to admit it.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2010, 12:24 AM   #118
401FlaGATOR
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 325i ZSP, F30 320i ZSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
This is false info, please read below:

Battery Replacement Registration

This Service Function informs the PM that the battery has been replaced. It completes the following operations:

- Battery capacity is set to 80%
- Current Odometer reading are stored. The odometer readings at which the last seven battery replacements took place can be read off from the Diagnosis Requests of Control Unit Functions
- Stored battery statistics (current, voltage , battery charge level) are deleted
- Stored temperature statistics are deleted

More info on AGM type batteries and registration process can be found here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...5&postcount=24
Actually its a lot less complicated than I thought..it is a scam!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2010, 01:37 PM   #119
aesfah
Max Powers
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

OK - so I was the guy getting intermittent adaptive headlight errors after I replaced my OEM with a pepboys battery. I just took the car to an indy shop where they registered my battery ($55). the owner of the shop (who came off as quite knowledgeable) said that registering the battery would have no impact on getting rid of my sporadic adaptive headlight errors. It only impacts the battery's charging rate. I guess I'll find out tonight if my errors go away or not.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2010, 01:47 PM   #120
tom @ eas
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aesfah View Post
OK - so I was the guy getting intermittent adaptive headlight errors after I replaced my OEM with a pepboys battery. I just took the car to an indy shop where they registered my battery ($55). the owner of the shop (who came off as quite knowledgeable) said that registering the battery would have no impact on getting rid of my sporadic adaptive headlight errors. It only impacts the battery's charging rate. I guess I'll find out tonight if my errors go away or not.
When was the new battery installed? The damage may already be done.

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 01:43 PM   #121
A61
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

autozone

..and this is quoted from from the autozone website for an 06 330i battery.

*** 770 cold cranking Amps (N/A cranking Amps) *** N/A reserve capacity. -> 3 year free replacement <- Battery is vented to outside of vehicle. Installation may take up to 30 minutes. Located in trunk. When replacing the battery in an iDrive equipped vehicle, resetting of the system may be required at a dealership.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...2332_206946_0_
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 02:32 PM   #122
light1
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesfah View Post
Any luck with this? my adaptive headlight is ON, won't turn off. My car died due to teh battery I think, it won't turn on.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 02:37 PM   #123
MalM3
4 pot warrior
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 318I

Garage List
2006 e90  [10.00]
i just read the OPs startpost

Remember that pulling the battery will register low voltage on almost all modules-
A quick error read and clear will sort that ĻĻ

Registration is needed for regulating charge
All the other info is relative to the problem(s) before the change.

Been there, done that, wanna do it again
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 04:07 PM   #124
wizardsway
Jim
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

I don't understand why some people are so against getting the battery registered. i had mine replaced at 5 years and it cost 299.00 plus tax at a BMW dealer. i figured if i can afford to buy a BMW i can afford to pay to get the work done right.
I will admit the dealer prices are hi and i do some of the work myself. but after all the bad things that have happened to some people because they didn't register there battery i wont take the chance.

Wife's BMW 2007 328i
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 04:10 PM   #125
bumere90
Grozniy
United_States
Rep
Drives: Carless

finally
      05-21-2012, 04:37 PM   #126
Kernel Kurtz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizardsway View Post
I don't understand why some people are so against getting the battery registered. i had mine replaced at 5 years and it cost 299.00 plus tax at a BMW dealer. i figured if i can afford to buy a BMW i can afford to pay to get the work done right.
I will admit the dealer prices are hi and i do some of the work myself. but after all the bad things that have happened to some people because they didn't register there battery i wont take the chance.
^this
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 06:09 PM   #127
MalM3
4 pot warrior
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 318I

Garage List
2006 e90  [10.00]
not against it fella

Itīs more so you dont have this "registry" on a pedestal.

It serves a specific requirement, but thats it

Been there, done that, wanna do it again
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2012, 11:54 AM   #128
Bighorns
bimmer newb
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i M-Sport

My dealer replaced and registered my battery for $200.00. That seems pretty reasonable compared to a lot of the quotes I've seen thrown out here, and not a bad price for the peace of mind I have in knowing it was done right. If I go another 6 years before I have to do this again, I'm happy.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2012, 12:25 PM   #129
Wilhelm
Private
Rep
Drives: 3281T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighorns View Post
My dealer replaced and registered my battery for $200.00. That seems pretty reasonable compared to a lot of the quotes I've seen thrown out here, and not a bad price for the peace of mind I have in knowing it was done right. If I go another 6 years before I have to do this again, I'm happy.
Who/where is this dealer? It deserves to have a lot business if it has lower prices.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 12:41 PM   #130
PSEE
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d

probably $200 hexadecimal!!!

remember there are 10 kinds of people in the world...

Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 02:01 PM   #131
El Cheapo Loco
douchebaggo
Rep
Drives: stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighorns View Post
The dealer price for the battery is $200. Are you saying your dealer replaced/registered yours for free?
Appreciate 0