E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > E90 335i fuel door/subwoofers *PISSED*

02-14-2011, 11:44 AM   #1
iclukay
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Black/Terra

E90 335i fuel door/subwoofers *PISSED*

So, my gas door won't stay shut anymore and after digging around forums I found out that it's a result of subwoofer vibrations causing the mechanism to break?

I have two Alpine type R 12"s with a 500 watt amp, yeah it's a little overkill but I'd rather have stronger subs and work them less than small subs and end up blowing them. Before I get flamed for putting SUBWOOFERS in a refined car such as a BMW, I just like the looks and the "custom" factor of subwoofers, I don't drive around with my rear bumper and trunk lid vibrating like a mother, sounding like some '93 malibu lowrider.

Anyways, I am MORE than pissed at this. It's a BMW, it's supposed to be built like a brick s***house, and a little vibration causes the gas door to break? I mean, really? Where's the quality in that?

Does anyone know a permanent fix to this? "take the subs out" I wouldn't have put them in in the first place if I didn't want them, don't be stupid. I'm disgusted with the fact I'm probably going to be putting 3M fasteners on the gas door to hold it shut.

Come on BMW, this isn't how you got your rep
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 03:27 PM   #2
Denny347
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E90

BMW's are built very well. The trunks are so well sealed that a conventional sub box set-up will do little more than shake your car apart without much bass making it into the cabin. There is nothing wrong with placing subs in a BMW but the car requires a but more thought in the setup. Is your setup rear-facing? BMW's work well with the subs firing into the ski-pass in a box or an IB. Either method, the sub cones need to be isolated from the rest of the trunk. I'm going to build a fiberglass corner enclosure for the driver rear corner of the trunk. That seems to be the most effective placement for our cars.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 06:19 PM   #3
e90fun
('''\(;,,,;)/''')
Rep
Drives: AW 335i e90

the sub setup you have causes more than "alittle vibration"
if your still under warranty, the dealership will fix it but if not, your SOL and your going to have to replace the mechanism that locks it in.
      02-17-2011, 11:58 AM   #4
iclukay
Enlisted Member
Rep

I know BMW's are built very well, in fact I'd go as far as to say they are the best built production cars available, thats why I am miffed that they put such an apparantly cheap fuel door locking mechanism.

The car is still under warranty and I can have it fixed, but its just going to break again.

The subs are actually in enclosures that fire upwards, In my experience and other cars this has actually proven to be the best setup, but maybe BMW's are different.... are you suggesting that they should fire into the cabin? I don't have the ski pass-through in my car.

It IS only a little vibration, I am HORRIFIED at the amount of people that drive around in their accords with bass so loud their bumpers are about to fall off. I keep it low, but the stock system just doesn't have enough bump.....

bottom line is the fuel door mechanism is CHEAPLY MADE. there. I said it. I'm probably going to hell for saying a part on a BMW is cheaply made, but it had to be done.

It isn't worth getting it fixed if its just going to break again, I think I'll go the 3M fastener route.

It's going to hurt
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2011, 06:13 PM   #5
e90fun
('''\(;,,,;)/''')
Rep
Drives: AW 335i e90

I feel you.
My friend busted his gas tank cover with his two 12's also.
Warranty will take care of you.
Since fix, he hasnt had any issues.
Good luck OP.
      02-17-2011, 06:33 PM   #6
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by iclukay View Post
I know BMW's are built very well, in fact I'd go as far as to say they are the best built production cars available, thats why I am miffed that they put such an apparantly cheap fuel door locking mechanism.

The car is still under warranty and I can have it fixed, but its just going to break again.

The subs are actually in enclosures that fire upwards, In my experience and other cars this has actually proven to be the best setup, but maybe BMW's are different.... are you suggesting that they should fire into the cabin? I don't have the ski pass-through in my car.

It IS only a little vibration, I am HORRIFIED at the amount of people that drive around in their accords with bass so loud their bumpers are about to fall off. I keep it low, but the stock system just doesn't have enough bump.....

bottom line is the fuel door mechanism is CHEAPLY MADE. there. I said it. I'm probably going to hell for saying a part on a BMW is cheaply made, but it had to be done.

It isn't worth getting it fixed if its just going to break again, I think I'll go the 3M fastener route.

It's going to hurt
Or not designed to take a 105db 35Hz bass note.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 11:52 AM   #7
iclukay
Enlisted Member
Rep

yeah, neither is a Mustang's fuel door, but it does.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 02:40 PM   #8
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by iclukay View Post
yeah, neither is a Mustang's fuel door, but it does.
Ah, well maybe then the Mustang is actually built (designed) better than the 3-Series.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 12:39 PM   #9
iclukay
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENINTY View Post
Ah, well maybe then the Mustang is actually built (designed) better than the 3-Series.
The fuel door mechanism definitely is, but I'm picking up on your sarcasm you won't hear an argument from me, a mustang is a piece of garbage compared to these gems.

BMW tends to over engineer some things, and the fuel door is one of them. I'm not a BMW fanboy, I love the cars but if there's an issue with one, I'm not gonna act like there isn't lol.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 11:26 PM   #10
jlE90
Private
Rep
Drives: 06 Jet Black E90

just dynamat it n velcro that gas door shut haha. it is a bmw, have too much fancy function that breaks fast. floating stick in the expansion tank? piece of junk. no dip stick? design flaw n dont even talk about the stupid brake assist ..... it goes on, you pay for a bmw for the way it drives
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2011, 09:23 PM   #11
carzfan1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW E90 328i Sedan

what type of setup do i need?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny347 View Post
BMW's are built very well. The trunks are so well sealed that a conventional sub box set-up will do little more than shake your car apart without much bass making it into the cabin. There is nothing wrong with placing subs in a BMW but the car requires a but more thought in the setup. Is your setup rear-facing? BMW's work well with the subs firing into the ski-pass in a box or an IB. Either method, the sub cones need to be isolated from the rest of the trunk. I'm going to build a fiberglass corner enclosure for the driver rear corner of the trunk. That seems to be the most effective placement for our cars.
damn, that sucks... I am also strongly considering putting in subs in my e90 stock 328i... but after seeing your problem.. i dont know anymore...

i mean i was thinking maybe having only ONE Alpine R-Type 12" you think that will do the job? (im worried abou the fact that the bass wont be able to get in the car because of the BMW cabins are so well sealed.. what do you think?

(if the BMW Cabbin sealiong, is anything like their fuel cover... i dont think that i'll have to worry )
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 11:15 AM   #12
jwise36
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 328i X drive

i have the same problem, ive got 2 12'' jl W7 running 1000 watts to each. and yes its overkill. i removed the push pin type latch in the gas cover, your door will stay shut and rattle minimally

hope it helps!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 11:16 AM   #13
jwise36
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 328i X drive

oh and i have them firing directly into the cabin with the face of the box sealed off from the trunk, that the only way to do it
Appreciate 0