E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Strange coding issue with angel eyes and daytime running lights

07-09-2015, 07:49 AM   #1
Antetokounmpo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 6MT FBO; '18 F150 Platinum

Garage List
Strange coding issue with angel eyes and daytime running lights

Hey all, about 2 years ago I had my car coded by a guy to have the angel eyes be the daytime running lights instead of the ugly inner halogen lights on the pre-lci E90. I have the Lux E90 V5 bulbs and never had any issues until about a month ago. I was messing around with my carly bmwhat app coding options and somehow my angel eyes no longer work as DRL even though I don't recall ever changing my DRL settings. So, the other day I tried to code my car to have the AEs be the DRLs through the bmwhat app with my carly adapter and for whatever reason, whenever I set my AE to be my DRL they just flicker a few times when I turn the car on then shut off. At first I thought it was a voltage issue of some sort but the AEs work perfectly normal when the xenon headlights are on or when my parking lights are on. So I know it's not a hardware issue, just a problem with the coding. Has anyone ever had problems with this? I recently updated my jb4 to the newest g5 board from a jb3 g3 board and I doubt this has anything to do with it but I don't know for sure.

TL;DR My angels eyes flicker a few times when I turn the car on when they're set to be my DRL, but work normal when the parking lights or headlights are on.

2008 335xi 6MT | VRSF Catless DP | VRSF 7" FMIC | VRSF CP | TIAL BOV | DCI | MHD 2+
BC Racing BR | Stoptech 600 | Firehawk Indy 500 255 Square | Atric Altimax 225 Sq.
2018 F-150 Platinum 701A | FX4 | 3.5 EcoBeast
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2015, 08:26 AM   #2
wildcatcrazy
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Garage List
2009 335i  [0.00]
There are different voltage settings for each lighting option. For instance, they are factory set to be brighter without headlights on, then dim when they come on. It's possible you need to increase the voltage for just the DRL setting.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2015, 07:55 PM   #3
Antetokounmpo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatcrazy View Post
There are different voltage settings for each lighting option. For instance, they are factory set to be brighter without headlights on, then dim when they come on. It's possible you need to increase the voltage for just the DRL setting.
I did think that too and I have tried all voltage options in my carly app but no luck. I don't understand, they even come on with the welcome lights..

2008 335xi 6MT | VRSF Catless DP | VRSF 7" FMIC | VRSF CP | TIAL BOV | DCI | MHD 2+
BC Racing BR | Stoptech 600 | Firehawk Indy 500 255 Square | Atric Altimax 225 Sq.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2015, 04:30 AM   #4
eriiiksson
Rep
Drives: e91 320d -08

Had the same problem. A couple of months ago i had the AEs coded with bmw hat. Recently I did some coding and retrofitted a new mirror with ncs expert.

So i figured I would try bmwhat again to restore my codings since I thought it would be much easier to do it with the app, rather using ncs. But i got the same problem as you, nothing worked with bmwhat.

So i had to use ncs for all coding instead. Maybe the new update is causing problems. I will never use bmwhat again for coding, ncsdummy are easy to use once you have done it a couple of times.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2015, 07:59 PM   #5
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

bk335 try turning on the corner led's. I had to do that for my pre-lci car with lci halogens to activate the rings as DRL.
OEM Black grill and Blackline tails - LCI halogens with Lux V2 coded as DRL - 3M Crystalline - BMS PBX - OEM Euro Airbox with K&N - Hardwired CTEK - Bilstein B6 w/OEM springs and SP perches - Conti DWS06 - HiFi-Helix DSP - JLAudio HD/XD-Morel - CD changer trim - AE optical out
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2016, 10:44 PM   #6
Ra_
EuroCar Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY08 E90 M3 JB

Sorry to bump an older thread up but I'm running into something similar. AE no longer working as DRL. Comes on with parking and headlights on. Was there a definitive solve? I tried to code corner bulbs on, then off with no luck using Carly app.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2016, 06:09 AM   #7
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

try DRL customization US models and corner leds and/or sidemarkers - and various combinations of those.
OEM Black grill and Blackline tails - LCI halogens with Lux V2 coded as DRL - 3M Crystalline - BMS PBX - OEM Euro Airbox with K&N - Hardwired CTEK - Bilstein B6 w/OEM springs and SP perches - Conti DWS06 - HiFi-Helix DSP - JLAudio HD/XD-Morel - CD changer trim - AE optical out
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2016, 12:39 PM   #8
Antetokounmpo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ra_ View Post
Sorry to bump an older thread up but I'm running into something similar. AE no longer working as DRL. Comes on with parking and headlights on. Was there a definitive solve? I tried to code corner bulbs on, then off with no luck using Carly app.
I never found a solution

Appreciate 0
      04-24-2016, 10:03 PM   #9
Ra_
EuroCar Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY08 E90 M3 JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgatti
try DRL customization US models and corner leds and/or sidemarkers - and various combinations of those.
Here are my settings. Am I missing something?

-Daytime running lights 1/2 - active
-Daytime running lights 2/2 - active
-Daytime running lights - Key 1 - active
-Daytime running lights - Key 2 - active
-Daytime running lights - Key 3 - active
-Daytime running lights - customization - Only additional lights (US models)
-Daytime running lights - Key 2 - active
-Daytime running lights - front fog lights - not active
-Daytime running lights - front fog lights brightness - off
-Daytime running lights - front fog lights brightness... - off
-Daytime running lights - front turn signals - not active
-Daytime running lights - Angel eyes - active
-Angel eyes brightness daytime running lights - current value
-Angel eyes brightness daytime running lights - medium
-Angel eyes brightness standing lights - medium
-Angel eyes brightness parking lights - medium
-Brightness of Angel Eyes 1 - alternative - nothing checked
-Brightness of Angel Eyes 2 - alternative - medium
-Brightness of Angel Eyes 3 - alternative - nothing checked
      05-19-2017, 11:50 AM   #10
///Mthr33
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e90 335i

another revival?
Just curious if anyone has gotten this to work using the carly app?
more specifically what setting you have enabled to get them to work properly.
Im starting to think this was a waste of money
Appreciate 0