E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > E90 Xenon Retrofit

02-14-2008, 05:21 AM   #23
Ant397
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 4.8is, Lambo Gallardo

I have been looking into this for a long time and this really does seem like the easiest and best solution.

BMW do have a full retrofit kit available, Part Number is: 63.13.0.404.195. But will not supply it to the UK market...

We have also tried a few of the 'non gen' HID kits and have found that when the HID xenon bulb is placed into the halogen housing, the filament on the xenon bulb is placed slightly different so the beam pattern is distorted and it doesnt look OEM BMW xenon so that kinda throw it out of the window anyway.

It is possible to buy the seperate parts from the xenon install kit and have the car re-coded at a BMW dealer with OEM Xenon headlights, but the cost for this conversion is around £1,500 depending on parts prices etc.

The possability of fitting OEM xenon headlight units and then powering them with a aftermarket HID xenon kit is the way forward for sure. There really is no difference once the BMW xenon headlight units are used...

Good post roofer.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2008, 05:40 AM   #24
ShereKhan
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e M Sport MY20

Garage List
2020 BMW 330e  [0.00]
Ant,

Is that part number for the LHD version - maybe why they do not supply to the UK market.

If it can be changed from LHD to RHD drive easily then I think a trip to a BMW dealer near Calais would be a start to get it fitted over there - probably cheaper too.
Long gone -15 Peugeot 308 2.0HDi GT AUTO Magnetic Blue, 10 BMW F10 520D SE Xirallic Imperial blue/Cinnamon Brown, 06 E90 320si - Le Mans Blue - Totally standard specification (Scrapped RIP 12/08/2010), 00 Peugeot 306 2.0 SE Cabriolet, 94 Rover 214 SEi, 91 Fiat Uno 60S Mk2
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2008, 06:21 AM   #25
Ant397
United Kingdom
Rep

Hiya,

The fitting isnt the problem, we have the ability and would do it here ourselves, the problem has been getting hold of the parts at a reasonable price to do the job and make the car look like it has factory Xenons. So no automatic headlamp aim fitment, no changing of the light control module and no expensive BMW main dealer re-coding.

It makes me laugh how they want to charge 2 hours labour to code the retrofit when they just hook the car up, tell the overgrow calulator what to do and then go away and do something more productive and wait for the ding...

ant.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2008, 06:23 AM   #26
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep
Drives: 530d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant397 View Post
....tell the overgrow calulator what to do and then go away and do something more productive and wait for the ding...

ant.
That's microwave engineering for you!

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Now: 530d
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2008, 06:01 AM   #27
Ant397
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh93sa View Post
That's microwave engineering for you!
Sure is!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2008, 06:28 AM   #28
roofer
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335D M Saloon

I have had the odd bulb warning, but as i said originally, i will source the proper ballasts/D1S and have the car coded to recognise Xenons.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2009, 02:09 PM   #29
kris_t
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw e92 m3 white on fox red

ok just a qick queston iv got a pir of uk zenons with out balasts or bulbs
if i but a hid after market kit will it all become plug and play ?
if not what else do i need to do
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2009, 02:11 PM   #30
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue

Garage List
Yes, sort of; but get ready for all sorts of bulb failure messages!

Best thing is to jump in and have a god, see how you get on.

Have you an aftermarket HID kit ready to go in?
      07-20-2009, 02:13 PM   #31
kris_t
Second Lieutenant
Rep

no got lights and just reading about some kits that are suposed to work and not give errors but thats if i pit them in oem halogen lights ?
not sure how different zenons are
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2009, 02:14 PM   #32
PeteJ
Diesel Head
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport Convertible E93

nice work. retro fit of those lights isn't an easy one... Well done!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2009, 02:14 PM   #33
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
From experience, be very wary of HID sellers who say "Guaranteed error free"
      07-20-2009, 02:15 PM   #34
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteJ View Post
nice work. retro fit of those lights isn't an easy one... Well done!
Indeed! Sourcing a set of xenon projector lamps is half the battle - not cheap either!
      07-20-2009, 02:17 PM   #35
kris_t
Second Lieutenant
Rep

yeah thats what i thought
but beside error messege every thing should work ?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2009, 02:23 PM   #36
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Yes; I don't see why they shouldn't work.
      07-20-2009, 02:27 PM   #37
kris_t
Second Lieutenant
Rep

ok so if i was to put halogen bulbs in then the unit would be same as before only with angel eyes ?
mite go down that route untill i find the right hid kit
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2009, 02:30 PM   #38
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
I don't know if the reflector/projector would work very well with normal halogen bulbs; the Xenon bulb is different physically to the halogen type bulb.

Not even sure if you'd get a hologen bulb to fit the lamp unit itself.
      07-20-2009, 02:40 PM   #39
kris_t
Second Lieutenant
Rep

ok after market kit it is then
im hopiing it will all plug and play if not ill be selling a pair of zenons lol
there are so many different ideas on what will work and what wont
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2009, 02:56 PM   #40
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
First dibs!
      07-20-2009, 04:44 PM   #41
mikeysix
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F30 318d m sport

Garage List
stop the bus lads! it aint plug n play. I'm currently in the process of doing this conversion myself. I've also sourced oem projector headlamps from german ebay thinking I would then just fire in an aftermarket h7 hid kit. What hid kit are you planning to use? I've just altered the wiring in one headlamp this afternoon, So the headlamp now has the correct wiring for halogen bulbs. I tried it out and both high and low beam all work and the corona rings. all error free. E90 andy was the first guy to do this with halogen bulbs a good while back. Later on he then offered a hid conversion for his headlamp but its a lot of pissin about fitting his harness which he states gives no error. What i've done so far was fairly straight forward. When I get paid i'm going to get the hids direct wideview canbus kit. They have given me there word that its error free and there a reputable seller. When I get that It will just plug into the halogen harness I fitted this afternoon and job should be a good one. I appreciate what I'm saying may be double dutch without pictures but if you want I can message you instructions to wire the harness in for halogen bulbs then u just have to connect the hid kit. This topic has been covered many times before on this site and I did struggle to get help so just kinda had to figure it out on my own. Also cars that come out of the factory with xenons have axle sensors fitted which Adjust the shutter inside the headlamp, this means u dont glare oncoming traffic on hills etc that gets way more expensive to fit and wire them and more complicated! Also Guys have told me that the lack of this auto leveling and headlamp wash could also result in mot failure when the time comes but thats down to you and who you may know in the mot station!!!!! hope this helps a bit.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 05:55 PM   #42
328xihalogen
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeysix View Post
stop the bus lads! it aint plug n play. I'm currently in the process of doing this conversion myself. I've also sourced oem projector headlamps from german ebay thinking I would then just fire in an aftermarket h7 hid kit. What hid kit are you planning to use? I've just altered the wiring in one headlamp this afternoon, So the headlamp now has the correct wiring for halogen bulbs. I tried it out and both high and low beam all work and the corona rings. all error free. E90 andy was the first guy to do this with halogen bulbs a good while back. Later on he then offered a hid conversion for his headlamp but its a lot of pissin about fitting his harness which he states gives no error. What i've done so far was fairly straight forward. When I get paid i'm going to get the hids direct wideview canbus kit. They have given me there word that its error free and there a reputable seller. When I get that It will just plug into the halogen harness I fitted this afternoon and job should be a good one. I appreciate what I'm saying may be double dutch without pictures but if you want I can message you instructions to wire the harness in for halogen bulbs then u just have to connect the hid kit. This topic has been covered many times before on this site and I did struggle to get help so just kinda had to figure it out on my own. Also cars that come out of the factory with xenons have axle sensors fitted which Adjust the shutter inside the headlamp, this means u dont glare oncoming traffic on hills etc that gets way more expensive to fit and wire them and more complicated! Also Guys have told me that the lack of this auto leveling and headlamp wash could also result in mot failure when the time comes but thats down to you and who you may know in the mot station!!!!! hope this helps a bit.
Hi, I think it would be great if you could post some of the pics and update us what you get with these HID kits. As you said there are so many versions of the HID conversion, but never be a promising one except what ******* is selling. I am sure there will be a lot of guys like me appreciate if there is finally a complete protocal of how to do the conversion at a raletively low cost w/o these warnings. Do look forward to hearing more from your work!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2009, 06:44 AM   #43
marcm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 LCI

Can anyone recommend an aftermarket HID kit that doesnt give errors? I am about to get some ballasts and caps and would like to know the right ones to get.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2009, 08:09 AM   #44
mikeysix
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F30 318d m sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcm View Post
Can anyone recommend an aftermarket HID kit that doesnt give errors? I am about to get some ballasts and caps and would like to know the right ones to get.
Hids direct wideview canbus kit should do you mate. 150 quid. I'll be buying it at some point! They have assured me it's error free so will get it once I'm back my holidays
Appreciate 0