E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > How does Carfax report an accident?

02-26-2015, 06:20 PM   #1
westchester335i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Sour Diesel and Haze

How does Carfax report an accident?

Hey all,

My gf side swiped a construction truck at her university and broke the mirror off her car. No damage to the truck and truck driver agreed not to do anything. A day later her car is impounded in university parking lot because since the truck was part of university all accidents must be reported. She had to report to a office where she found out the truck driver now claiming he asked for her information and she did not give any.

Now the police were called and the story was. My gf hit this truck guy and just drove off didn't even say a word. The guy apparently called the cops and they took down the "evidence" after we left yesterday.

The police officer was a really hostile towards my gf. He said there are cameras everywhere don't lie to me or I will have you arrested for lying to police. She said she hit the truck he goes let me write this report out. He comes back says I wrote in the accident report that you "left the scene of a accident" , and says he took a pic of her mirror and will report to DMV in Albany (with the pics he took) because you did not exchange information and left. But I am NOT giving you a ticket for this. Then he said you must report this to your insurance company ASAP and your rates are about to skyrocket. Then he took her PBA cards and said you don't deserve them and then he complained about people having nice cars and not knowing how to drive.

My questions,

Do police reports get sent to Carfax from the DMV if insurance is not involved? Would the "left the accident" comment by the cop cause any issue to insurance? Because the university who owns the construction company is NOT filing a claim they just wanted a police report for their record.

Do I have to report this accident to my insurance? If they are not filing the claim I could careless and I am going to pay out of pocket to fix this.

Also for any insurance people out here. Will the rates go up because of this even if no claim is filed?

I THINK they do because, the DMV reports registration/renewals to the Carfax. So if the DMV has a report of an accident it will likely be reported to Carfax even though insurance was not invovled.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 07:21 PM   #2
Get lit
HMFIC
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by westchester335i View Post
Hey all,

My gf side swiped a construction truck at her university and broke the mirror off her car. No damage to the truck and truck driver agreed not to do anything. A day later her car is impounded in university parking lot because since the truck was part of university all accidents must be reported. She had to report to a office where she found out the truck driver now claiming he asked for her information and she did not give any.

Now the police were called and the story was. My gf hit this truck guy and just drove off didn't even say a word. The guy apparently called the cops and they took down the "evidence" after we left yesterday.

The police officer was a really hostile towards my gf. He said there are cameras everywhere don't lie to me or I will have you arrested for lying to police. She said she hit the truck he goes let me write this report out. He comes back says I wrote in the accident report that you "left the scene of a accident" , and says he took a pic of her mirror and will report to DMV in Albany (with the pics he took) because you did not exchange information and left. But I am NOT giving you a ticket for this. Then he said you must report this to your insurance company ASAP and your rates are about to skyrocket. Then he took her PBA cards and said you don't deserve them and then he complained about people having nice cars and not knowing how to drive.

My questions,

Do police reports get sent to Carfax from the DMV if insurance is not involved? Would the "left the accident" comment by the cop cause any issue to insurance? Because the university who owns the construction company is NOT filing a claim they just wanted a police report for their record.

Do I have to report this accident to my insurance? If they are not filing the claim I could careless and I am going to pay out of pocket to fix this.

Also for any insurance people out here. Will the rates go up because of this even if no claim is filed?

I THINK they do because, the DMV reports registration/renewals to the Carfax. So if the DMV has a report of an accident it will likely be reported to Carfax even though insurance was not invovled.

Thanks
If there is no ticket to go on driving record and no claim filed with your insurance then I don't see your insurance going up or anything going on carfax. The report written from the officer was for internal records.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 07:24 PM   #3
westchester335i
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Get lit View Post
If there is no ticket to go on driving record and no claim filed with your insurance then I don't see your insurance going up or anything going on carfax. The report written from the officer was for internal records.
Unfortunately I wish you were right but read this.

http://dmv.ny.gov/dmv-records/motorist-accident-reports
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 07:28 PM   #4
5tony
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M5/'15 X5 35i/'88 M3

It might get reported to Carfax. My wife was tapped from behind by an Infiniti whose bumper cracked. Our car had no damage except some paint transfer from the Infiniti that I was able to polish out. However, because of the damage to the Infiniti, a police report was created and when I checked the Carfax on our car it showed that it had "damage from rear impact" Hate Carfax!
      02-26-2015, 07:37 PM   #5
Get lit
HMFIC
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by westchester335i View Post
Unfortunately I wish you were right but read this.

http://dmv.ny.gov/dmv-records/motorist-accident-reports
I think I'm understanding this correctly... There was not any damage to the truck that was hit? And only damage to your car was a broken side mirror? So it would be under the 1001.00 dollar amount so you wouldn't have to report it to the dmv. Correct?

On a side note... That really blows. and carfax is overrated! It's not very accurate in my opinion!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 08:11 PM   #6
mojobmw_e90
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 E63S

There is a paper that you receive from the police when a report is made. On it, it tells you to describe the accident on how it happen and to send it to the dmv. Failure to send it may result in a suspension of licence. I've had 8 accidents in my life time, 4 of them my fault and have never sent in that paper and never had a suspended licence.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 08:21 PM   #7
egt
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

Garage List
Carfax doesn't convey details of the collision or severity, but the repair receipts and your pictures will. Easy to explain away petty damage.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 09:01 PM   #8
westchester335i
First Lieutenant
Rep

Unfortunately even though the damage was less than $1001 the cop still will file that report. I know this because he specifically said to her im filing the m104 form and sending the pictures the DMV.

He is literally going out of the way to teach a "lesson" as he said. The PBA taking and the way he was talking and gesturing and making comments....guess he was a bitter cop. Shitty luck that you get one but nothing you can do. After all protect and serve job must be very tough at a private university. Probably biggest thing he has had to deal with in his career as a campus cop.

I agree pictures and documents help when selling a car.....however once that accident reported is there 90% people look the other way. Me included.
Appreciate 0