E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Blackberry Bluetooth Stereo Gateway on '07 car with factory bluetooth phone

11-05-2011, 11:03 AM   #1
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2007 328i Saloon

Garage List
Blackberry Bluetooth Stereo Gateway on '07 car with factory bluetooth phone

Hi, I notice this topic is covered for certain situations but I'm still not sure how to address my problem.

a. I want to play music through my Android phone (hands free), which has A2DP bluetooth and a headphone jack that can connect to my 328i aux. The bluetooth on the phone can only make one connection at a time.

I also want to make handsfree phone calls. I have a android app (Choice Dialer) which can do both calls and music player voice commands, without an internet connection, but can only manage a single connection (either bluetooth or wire, pick one).

b. My car (07 328i without Idrive) has factory bluetooth. It can make hands-free phone calls using my phone but cannot stream music through the same connection.

Given the above, I'm considering purchasing a bluetooth receiver such as Blackberry Bluetooth Stereo Gateway. My thinking is, connect it to the aux port and make calls and stream music.

But if I do this, will the BMW car microphone hear my voice during a call? Or will I have to use the mic on the phone? If it's the former, great. If not, a direct wire set up from my phone's headphone jack will accomplish the same objective.

Any help or suggestion is appreciated. THANKS in advance.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2011, 11:08 AM   #2
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

The only way to use the vehicle microphone is to use the vehicle bluetooth connection.

Why is it your phone cannot pair to both?

I would think that the phone (independent of the app) would be able to handle being paired to the vehicle and the gateway at the same time. One for HFP (Handsfree Profile - Vehicle) and one for A2DP (gateway). The switch between the two may not be entirely graceful, but it should be workable.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2011, 11:28 AM   #3
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2007 328i Saloon

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post
The only way to use the vehicle microphone is to use the vehicle bluetooth connection.

Why is it your phone cannot pair to both?

I would think that the phone (independent of the app) would be able to handle being paired to the vehicle and the gateway at the same time. One for HFP (Handsfree Profile - Vehicle) and one for A2DP (gateway). The switch between the two may not be entirely graceful, but it should be workable.
Taibanl, thank you for responding.

From your comments, sounds like:
a. if my phone can do what you describe, buy a A2DP receiver and a bluetooth headset (for phone calls and possibly voice commands) or
b. run a wire and talk through the phone mic.

I'll figure out a way to test what you are describing (switching paired connections). Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2011, 06:29 PM   #4
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynical View Post
Doesnt work like that. Regardless of what u think.

When BT is active So is one paired device. Not possible for two at the same time. It's a profile that's loaded and linked to.
It's like trying to join to wifi hot spots. Not happening.

What you can do is when the
Phone call come in, you answer and switch the audio source off the BB device.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlifxs View Post
Taibanl, thank you for responding.

From your comments, sounds like:
a. if my phone can do what you describe, buy a A2DP receiver and a bluetooth headset (for phone calls and possibly voice commands) or
b. run a wire and talk through the phone mic.

I'll figure out a way to test what you are describing (switching paired connections). Thanks again.
BT can be paired with multiple devices, while connected to only one, IIRC.

Thus for the OP, the connections would be switching (as I said, not all that graceful, yet effective) between the vehicle BT and the A2DP device.

OP: Buying a headset is no different than using the vehicle for calls/voice commands (well there is a slight difference, in that the vehicle accepts its own voice commands).
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2011, 09:28 PM   #5
eebon
Rep
Drives: 07 E91

I have an 07 e91 328 non idrive. Bought a Bluetooth audio receiver on amazon for $25 and fits perfectly in center console. Charges via USB adapter through the accessory charger. Music plays great through my iphone4 while staying paired to the factory Bluetooth with no problems or delays switching between the 2 connections. As soon as phone rings, music is paused whether it being pandora or iPod. Soon as call ends audio resumes right where it left of with no delays what so ever.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 10:28 AM   #6
kymedic25
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 535 Platinum Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by eebon View Post
I have an 07 e91 328 non idrive. Bought a Bluetooth audio receiver on amazon for $25 and fits perfectly in center console. Charges via USB adapter through the accessory charger. Music plays great through my iphone4 while staying paired to the factory Bluetooth with no problems or delays switching between the 2 connections. As soon as phone rings, music is paused whether it being pandora or iPod. Soon as call ends audio resumes right where it left of with no delays what so ever.
Mine does the same thing! Works excellent!

Jason
Premium, Sport, Stage 1 Eurocharged, OEM M-tech kit, DD CSL trunk lid, Smoked Blacklines, , Cyba 4 inch black chrome exhaust tips, Eibach Pro Springs, Koni FSD, Morr VS8.2
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 08:22 PM   #7
cptcrunch
Captain Crunch
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

I'm not quite sure why your android phone wont connect to two bluetooth devices at once, but it should. What is your make and model?

Any phone in the last 5 years (especially on that runs android) should be allowed to connect to one phone audio and one stereo audio connection at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 08:02 AM   #8
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
I have my blackberry stereo gateway AND my cars bluetooth both active on my iphone. When i get a call, the music fades to a pause, and the car rings. When I'm done with the call, music fades back on.

You can definetely have more than kne bluetooth profile active. As long as its not the same one as the other.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 03:12 PM   #9
abhishriv
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe (Space grey)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eebon View Post
which bluetooth audio receiver is it? im looking for the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 09:47 PM   #10
abhishriv
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe (Space grey)

problem solved!... so i just went to best buy and got the tunelink device, plugged it in, and synced it up! . it works great. my iPhone connects to both the tunelink to play music. and when a call comes In it pauses the music and resorts to the handsfree bluetooth.

Last edited by abhishriv; 01-16-2012 at 09:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 10:50 PM   #11
M BROK3
Major
Rep
Drives: F95 , G80 M3, F80 M3, E92 M3

another option is belkin aircast which can stream music and take calls at the same time, and has a mic.

Even though BB stereo gateway sounds so much better then any other BT receivers i've tried and i've tried a couple.

COTM Pics Here
Appreciate 0