E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 328xi?!

08-24-2011, 11:14 PM   #1
bribabyx
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 Nissan Sentra

Red face 328xi?!

I have a few quick questions &who else to ask them to but you guys!

I've been thinking for a while of getting a 328xi.
and I'm having a hard time deciding on so many thing, I was hoping most of you can help me out from first hand experience without me having to go to a dealership and asking a bunch of questions to salespeople that have no idea what they are talking about. I'm sure you all know what I mean.

My current car is black so I am thinking of getting Jet Black just because I love love love black cars. However, you can't get any better than Alpine white so that is still an option. Also, I have ruled out BSM because I was told from some that it looks blue/green in the light which I definitely don't want. Do you guys think you made a good choice going with JB/BSM?

Also, at first I was SET on getting a coupe... but I really like the classic look of the sedan so that is still up in the air too. :[

Leather or leatherette?
The ONLY reason I am saying this is because I personally don't like the look of cracked leather, some say it brings character but I'm not sure I want that. Any opinions?

andddd last but not least, while looking at cars, I THINK I want ZSP and the way that I have been checking for it using just pictures is by looking at the steering wheel to see if it has the aluminum trim. Is this an affective way to check for sport package?

ANY other suggestions you guys have, don't hesitate to let me know.
Once I get it, I can't wait to share it with you guys.
THANKS SO MUCH &I LOOK FORWARD TO YOUR COMMENTS!

-Brianna
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2011, 11:27 PM   #2
shazzy04
Lieutenant Colonel
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '15 F22 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bribabyx View Post
I have a few quick questions &who else to ask them to but you guys!

I've been thinking for a while of getting a 328xi.
and I'm having a hard time deciding on so many thing, I was hoping most of you can help me out from first hand experience without me having to go to a dealership and asking a bunch of questions to salespeople that have no idea what they are talking about. I'm sure you all know what I mean.

My current car is black so I am thinking of getting Jet Black just because I love love love black cars. However, you can't get any better than Alpine white so that is still an option. Also, I have ruled out BSM because I was told from some that it looks blue/green in the light which I definitely don't want. Do you guys think you made a good choice going with JB/BSM?

Also, at first I was SET on getting a coupe... but I really like the classic look of the sedan so that is still up in the air too. :[

Leather or leatherette?
The ONLY reason I am saying this is because I personally don't like the look of cracked leather, some say it brings character but I'm not sure I want that. Any opinions?

andddd last but not least, while looking at cars, I THINK I want ZSP and the way that I have been checking for it using just pictures is by looking at the steering wheel to see if it has the aluminum trim. Is this an affective way to check for sport package?

ANY other suggestions you guys have, don't hesitate to let me know.
Once I get it, I can't wait to share it with you guys.
THANKS SO MUCH &I LOOK FORWARD TO YOUR COMMENTS!

-Brianna
The 328xi is great in the snow, assuming you need the awd. However, the 328i with a nice pair of snow tires in the winter will give you more than enough stability in the snow, all depends on your personal preference.

I like the 328i, and is great in every category except in power, although there are many people here who will tell you they get the 328i because they simply can't afford, or do not need the extra power. I love my 328i, excels in everything most car companies do not offer, especially being one of the lowest models of the make.

Everyone has different tastes. I prefer the look of the sedan (e90) over the coupes (e92), so in the end you're the only one whos going to be able decide that. There are immaculate and very clean e90s as well as e92s.

I personally like leather as opposed to leatherette, but once again, everyone has their own different tastes. My 328i has almost 70k miles, and not one piece of leather on the seats are cracked yet. (fingers crossed)

BSM does not look blue/green in the light. In my opinion I love the way Bsm looks in the light. I would jump in another bsm in a heartbeat. There are also very pristine Alpine Whites(AW) around, and they too are very clean.

If you have sports package, you'll notice it immediately in the seats. You can also look at the seats, and you'll notice something that isn't offered in a non sport model. I don't have sports package, and my car stock came with aluminum trim, so that isn't really a viable way of deciding whether or not it has sports or not.

Although there are many douches around the forum now, there are still many helpful people around, and this forum can produce a laugh whenever one is needed.

Oh, good luck, and come back with pictures!

Any other questions, feel free to ask.

Mods coming soon
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 02:03 AM   #3
DesiRoc
Kumar
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E93 335i, S50 E30 325i

^+1

I have an E90 Jet Black 328xi and I love it. My first car was a White '98 Acura 3.5RL, then a Silver '05 Mercedes ML500, and now that I got my first Black car, I absolutely fell in love with Black. I like the look of the coupes, but I prefer the sedans over the coupes. Plus I always have people riding in the car so it becomes a hassle with a coupe. Since I'll be experiencing my first winter in it soon, the AWD option is perfect. Very cozy, and just like snazzy04 said that if you don't need the extra power like the 335, it's a nice car and a perfect daily driver in my opinion. You won't regret your decision. As for the leather, it's all personal preference.

Good Luck!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 06:27 AM   #4
82DMC12
Rep
Drives: soon to be purchased

As another potential owner, this brings about my big gripe about online car shopping.

Why the hell don't dealerships POST or LIST all the options that car comes with? Why is that so difficult? There are obviously a couple of generic formats that dealers use when making their websites, and one of them such as at Motorwerks BMW of Minneapolis usually shows the option code and the description. VERY HELPFUL!

BMW Minnetonka, BMW Sioux Falls, and others have a different format which just lists a HUGE list of 'features' like puddle lights, air conditioning, power steering, power locks, blah blah.

It's VERY VERY tough for me to decide if a car is even worth looking at because I can't tell if it's got Premium, Sport, Xenons, ipod, premium stereo, cold weather, etc. Nav is the only thing that's obvious.

So if any dealers are reading this - don't be stupid. We want to know at a glance which cars have what so we can compare. It pisses me off to have to email a sales rep to ask a simple, basic question that should have been answered from the beginning.

Sorry to hijack the thread.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 07:00 AM   #5
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
Quote:

Leather or leatherette?

-Brianna
Leatherette vs leather - BMW uses low-grade leather in the 3s, it doesn't feel like leather should. I went with the leatherette for a few reasons:
-Easier to clean/maintain (it's plastic, after all)
-Looks like leather
-Will not wear like the leather over time (no cracks)
Every single person that has gotten into my car has thought it was leather. Of course I tell them it's not if they ask, and I get a lot of "are you sure?". Go to a dealer and feel both. $1500 is too much IMO.
Only reason I'd get leather would be if I wanted a different color interior.

You should ABSOLUTELY get the sport package on any BMW. Seats are much better support-wise, etc.

XIs are good in the snow as noted but have a high ride height, which is why I don't like them. Also they do not come with the sport suspension period. So I recommend the I and a good set of snow tires.

Other things:
-Make sure you get the Xenon lights (optional on 328 sedans)
-Split fold rear seat is not standard on the sedans either (very useful, obviously)
-The upgraded harman/kardon sound system is well worth the money if you like listening to music

The Jet Black color ($0) is quite soft and scratches easily. The metallic blacks are harder. Either way it's a difficult color to maintain.
      08-25-2011, 07:39 AM   #6
82DMC12
Rep
Drives: soon to be purchased

As another potential owner, this brings about my big gripe about online car shopping.

Why the hell don't dealerships POST or LIST all the options that car comes with? Why is that so difficult? There are obviously a couple of generic formats that dealers use when making their websites, and one of them such as at Motorwerks BMW of Minneapolis usually shows the option code and the description. VERY HELPFUL!

BMW Minnetonka, BMW Sioux Falls, and others have a different format which just lists a HUGE list of 'features' like puddle lights, air conditioning, power steering, power locks, blah blah.

It's VERY VERY tough for me to decide if a car is even worth looking at because I can't tell if it's got Premium, Sport, Xenons, ipod, premium stereo, cold weather, etc. Nav is the only thing that's obvious.

So if any dealers are reading this - don't be stupid. We want to know at a glance which cars have what so we can compare. It pisses me off to have to email a sales rep to ask a simple, basic question that should have been answered from the beginning.

Sorry to hijack the thread.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 07:42 AM   #7
MassBimmer
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 M50

Garage List
2009 BMW  [9.24]
Not sure where you heard that black sapphire metallic looks blue or green in the sunlight...I have it and it is absolutely stunning under light...jet black is very hard to maintain as it is a softer paint than BSM and more prone to swirling/imperfections
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 01:49 PM   #8
1997gtx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi | 08 S5 | 02 S4

As a biased sparkling graphite owner, I think that's the best color. It can look black at night. But, you also can't go wrong with black or white, though.

In CT, the Xi was a must for me. RWD - even with snows - can't handle the weather here.

I like my heated leather seats - and they aren't cracking at all. If you take care of them (condition, etc) they will stay near perfect for a while.

I wanted a coupe, too, but ended up liking the sedans a lot more. I did like the extra space for when I needed groceries, etc.

I think the Xenons and Premium Package are a MUST. Again, my car has them, so I'm biased. But those are the two main features I was looking for when searching for my car.

As an aside, my car is for sale, in case you're interested.

Good luck!
      08-25-2011, 01:52 PM   #9
1997gtx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82DMC12 View Post

I can't tell you how much I agree with this! It took FOREVER for me to find a car I liked because I was constantly emailing/calling just to see what options the car had. The worst is whent they show pictures of Xenons and then in the description they list "Halogen." Or, vice versa. SO annoying.
      08-25-2011, 01:54 PM   #10
shazzy04
Lieutenant Colonel
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1997gtx View Post
As a biased sparkling graphite owner, I think that's the best color. It can look black at night. But, you also can't go wrong with black or white, though.

In CT, the Xi was a must for me. RWD - even with snows - can't handle the weather here.

I like my heated leather seats - and they aren't cracking at all. If you take care of them (condition, etc) they will stay near perfect for a while.

I wanted a coupe, too, but ended up liking the sedans a lot more. I did like the extra space for when I needed groceries, etc.

I think the Xenons and Premium Package are a MUST. Again, my car has them, so I'm biased. But those are the two main features I was looking for when searching for my car.

As an aside, my car is for sale, in case you're interested.

Good luck!
Great car, Glws!

Mods coming soon
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 02:37 PM   #11
pwrdbym
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Roadster

Quote:
Early build E9x's won't have this but later models with ZSP will have "shadowline" (black) trim around the windows. Probably the easiest way is to look at the seats. Sport will have the more aggressive bolsters and upper leg adjustment on the front. If you get a E92 then it will have the sport suspension regardless if it has ZSP or not. An xi model won't really benefit from the sport suspension due to the higher ride height. It also has steel suspension rather than aluminum.
91 BMW 850i 6MT--20 Ram 1500
16 Chevy Tahoe 4WD
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 02:42 PM   #12
JimKW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW 330xi

What is the differecne between a 328xi and a 330xi?
2003 Dark Blue Toyota 4Runner V8
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 02:43 PM   #13
hmmcolor
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i 6MT

BSM will pick up little hints of other colors, but just in the flecks. I've never seen it look blue or green, just amazing. Really nice color.
      08-25-2011, 02:56 PM   #14
pwrdbym
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimKW View Post
What is the differecne between a 328xi and a 330xi?

The 328 has a 3.0L inline-6 with 230hp and the 330 has a 3.0L inline-6 with 255hp. Since the 330 at the time was the top model it also came standard with xenon lights and upgraded sound. Probably some other items as well. The 328 has those available, but they were options.
91 BMW 850i 6MT--20 Ram 1500
16 Chevy Tahoe 4WD
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 03:04 PM   #15
shazzy04
Lieutenant Colonel
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrdbym View Post
The 328 has a 3.0L inline-6 with 230hp and the 330 has a 3.0L inline-6 with 255hp. Since the 330 at the time was the top model it also came standard with xenon lights and upgraded sound. Probably some other items as well. The 328 has those available, but they were options.
well explained. The 330 was only offered in 2006 may i add

Mods coming soon
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 03:11 PM   #16
sswalters
Only in America
Rep
Drives: 550i M Sport

1 on the BSM. Also less likely to show a swirl which is a challenge on the JB.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 02:58 PM   #17
bribabyx
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 Nissan Sentra

Wink thanks guys!

thanks guys!
i was nervous at first someone might say some of my questions were dumb but thank you all for answering them.

i hate looking at them online because you just don't get the full effect but that's what i find myself doing when i'm bored at night, lol.

i think the only way to choose between bsm and jb is to actually see them next to each other in person. :]

you guys have been lots of help! &i will definitely keep you updated! yay.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 03:39 PM   #18
1997gtx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
thanks guys!
i was nervous at first someone might say some of my questions were dumb but thank you all for answering them.

i hate looking at them online because you just don't get the full effect but that's what i find myself doing when i'm bored at night, lol.

i think the only way to choose between bsm and jb is to actually see them next to each other in person. :]

you guys have been lots of help! &i will definitely keep you updated! yay.
If you'd like to come by and see my Sparking Graphite and take it for a drive just to see what you think of the car in general (not mine, specifically), you're more than welcome.