E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N52 stroker kit from Rebello Racing

03-03-2022, 08:58 AM   #1
tom.gnade
Apex Forged 19", AA headers, MILVs, 3IM, Euro Intake, Swift Spec-R
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i coupe

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
N52 stroker kit from Rebello Racing

http://www.rebelloracing.com/bmw1.htm

Anyone ever seen this? I've reached out to them to find out if it's for real - I would expect this is a crankshaft, rods, pistons and bearings for $3.8k.

StageFP already confirmed they could install it and tune it, and would be happy to do so. Total cost would probably be like 8k. I'm guessing output would be around 305hp based upon results from Noelle doing the same thing years ago.

Before you say "just drop in an N54" - No. The answer to that is *no*. I like my N52, and I like NA motors. I like the fact that I don't have a HPFP, injectors, turbos, or any of that other garbage that can fail. I like the fact that my car weighs less, and just has less fussy crap. I like the fact the N52 will do 300k miles if maintained well. The stroker kit may well reduce the lifespan, but honestly if I were to do this, I would still drive it like my little baby. It would be a heck of a lot cheaper than upgrading to an M4 or 911.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 3
Biginboca3766.50
PhaceN52174.50
Ali-E90381.50
      03-04-2022, 05:10 PM   #2
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
8k to make 300whp peak? What are you smoking? Spend all that money to drive it like a baby?

S65 swap. LS swap. Anything but dropping 8k into an n52 and staying NA. It just does not make any sense. At least with an LS swap you can keep it na or there are bolt on turbo kits made for the e9x chassis. Well known engine with a well known and documented path to whatever your goals are.

https://www.cxracing.com/engine-swap...91-e92-e93-ls1

https://lse90.com/

Last edited by Torgus; 03-04-2022 at 05:17 PM..
Appreciate 2
      03-04-2022, 06:19 PM   #3
Fiasco
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 328xi E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom.gnade View Post
http://www.rebelloracing.com/bmw1.htm

Anyone ever seen this? I've reached out to them to find out if it's for real - I would expect this is a crankshaft, rods, pistons and bearings for $3.8k.

StageFP already confirmed they could install it and tune it, and would be happy to do so. Total cost would probably be like 8k. I'm guessing output would be around 305hp based upon results from Noelle doing the same thing years ago.

Before you say "just drop in an N54" - No. The answer to that is *no*. I like my N52, and I like NA motors. I like the fact that I don't have a HPFP, injectors, turbos, or any of that other garbage that can fail. I like the fact that my car weighs less, and just has less fussy crap. I like the fact the N52 will do 300k miles if maintained well. The stroker kit may well reduce the lifespan, but honestly if I were to do this, I would still drive it like my little baby. It would be a heck of a lot cheaper than upgrading to an M4 or 911.

Thoughts?
Looks cool, but at this point also looks kinda sketch. They have no real info on it, no dyno video or chart of any test or customer car that its been installed in. Would need to see some more info, but if you can get in touch with them and get a kit going i'd say go for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgus View Post
8k to make 300whp peak? What are you smoking? Spend all that money to drive it like a baby?

S65 swap. LS swap. Anything but dropping 8k into an n52 and staying NA. It just does not make any sense. At least with an LS swap you can keep it na or there are bolt on turbo kits made for the e9x chassis. Well known engine with a well known and documented path to whatever your goals are.

Perhaps an S65 or N55 swap, but don't come on here talking about an LS swap, what are you smoking? We didn't buy high performance German sports sedans so that we could turn around and drop some garbage domestic engine in it, if that's what we wanted we would have bought 2003 GMC Savana vans instead.
Appreciate 3
      03-04-2022, 08:12 PM   #4
tom.gnade
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:

To be fair, it was more of a fun bit of internet research I thought I would share. The chances I would do this are slim to none. I would say I'd just go buy a 335is, but right now I have one of the most reliable engines BMW ever made. I don't want some piece of crap that will break every time I push it. I drive this car nice and hard when it's warm and conditions are right. It only takes a few seconds to be driving illegal or dangerous speeds. There is just absolutely no use for 500 horsepower on most public roads, unless you're just looking for a short trip to a body shop.

The only other car I could see "upgrading" to right now is a used Telsa. I drove a model S plaid a few months ago. It was fun as hell in a straight line, but yeesh on the turns, what a pig. My car carves corners like nothing else on the road unless it's an M, cayman, or 911. I told my son that my little 328 is to curves as the Tesla is to straight lines. An LS swap would add 150 pounds to the front of the car and throw the whole weight distribution off. The car would drive like dog crap compared to what it is.

You know what would be absolutely ideal? A 3.4L N52 high output motor that weighs 350 pounds, putting down say 330-350hp. It would leave all the driving and handling dynamics that make the 328 so special, and it would give it the thing it lacks most - pure acceleration. The only way I could get that specific combination would be an M2, and I really dont have an extra 65k laying around right now, I have kids going to college soon.

For just a fraction of that though, you *could* stroke an N52 and maybe get one of the best sleeper cars ever made.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2022, 08:00 AM   #5
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
I was bored while drinking my morning coffee so I thought I would respond to you fine Gentlemen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiasco View Post
We didn't buy high performance German sports sedans so that we could turn around and drop some garbage domestic engine in it, if that's what we wanted we would have bought 2003 GMC Savana vans instead.
Right, you bought a NON high performance German car designed to be a commuter car. I did the same thing. Literally their lowest cost entry point at that time: https://www.autobytel.com/bmw/2007/ It is not designed for high performance.

The fact you think an LS engine is garbage...it tells so much. An LS is more capable than an N54/55/S65 any day of the week.

Quote:
I would say I'd just go buy a 335is, but right now I have one of the most reliable engines BMW ever made.
It's funny because when you think of BMW you don't think of most reliable engines. The N52 has plenty of problems. It just has less expensive problems than the N54/S65 that are the only other 2 options for the E9X chassis. Go look in the n52 forum every other thread is basically about something broken or how to fix etc. It's not a bad engine. It does what it is designed to do very well imo.

Quote:
I don't want some piece of crap that will break every time I push it.
Right you know so well about the n54/s65. I have owned 2 n54s an N52 and two M57s. Never once has the N54s left me on the side of the road. All the others literally have. I can go 'push' or as I like to call it 'beat the fuck out of' my 335i any time I want, no issues. Why? Because I keep up on maintenance. It is 100X more fun to drive than my n52 ever was or could be. Any car can break down. BMWs in general are not reliable from my experience with owning many other car brands.

Quote:
There is just absolutely no use for 500 horsepower on most public roads, unless you're just looking for a short trip to a body shop.
There is no need for any car to be able to accelerate past 80 mph. That is the highest posted speed limit in my state. Should every car be governed to 80 mph?

500hp let alone 500whp is not a huge amount these days. Yes, plenty of power to get into trouble but you can crash a civic as easily as an BMW. Anyone can take a car to a bodyshop?

There is no need for a lot of things but as humans we still want them.

Quote:
My car carves corners like nothing else on the road unless it's an M, cayman, or 911.
What have you done to the suspension to make it handle so good? I always thought the E90s were ok but nothing 'special'. Especially give they weight of 3600 lbs. I have been in rice rockets that handle much better from the factory wrx sti etc.

Quote:
I told my son that my little 328 is to curves as the Tesla is to straight lines.
You really love how you 328 handles. You gotta let me know what you have done to make it handle so amazing. I might want to change my suspension up or add some more bracing etc!

Quote:
We didn't buy high performance German sports sedans
Correct! You and I didn't buy high performance German cars. You bought the lowest cost entry BMW they offered that was designed to be a commuter car 1st and foremost. I bought the 2nd least expensive BMW at that time. An m3/m5/x5M? Sure, designed for performance. 335i designed to be in-between the entry level commuter and the entry level sports car that BMW offered in 2006. The lowest cost 'sports car/sedan' in the E9X chassis is the m3 w/ the S65. While people like to crap on the S65 is is a VERY good NA engine. BMW raced the S65 in SCCA, NASA GT2, GT3, GT4 Series (including GT4 European Cup, Dutch GT4 Championship, GT4 Asia Challenge), SuperStars Series (Italy), 24 Hours Nürburgring, Spa-Francorchamps, etc. https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1065981

Quote:
so that we could turn around and drop some garbage domestic engine in it, if that's what we wanted we would have bought 2003 GMC Savana vans instead.
Do you know anything about LS engines? I don't say that to be rude just an honest question. They are much more capable than the n52/n54/S65 any day of the week. Parts are available EVERYWHERE. So many builds are well documented you can do whatever you want with that engine. Sky is the limit. Best thing is you can drop one in on a weekend and be driving on Monday. You can keep it NA or they have bolt on turbo kits for it. 300-2000whp.

Quote:
An LS swap would add 150 pounds to the front of the car and throw the whole weight distribution off. The car would drive like dog crap compared to what it is.
1st anyone who claims they can feel 50 lbs of weight is full of themselves, these cars weigh roughly 3600 lbs + add a 200lb driver and some junk in the trunk are you are getting close to 4k. They are not light. I say that because everyone loves to talk about weight but a small addition doesn't matter that much. I'm not saying you said you could feel 50lbs but I think you get what I am talking about.

You are adding weight lower which is important. You can easily shave off some weight if it really bothers you so much. CF hood, fenders, crashbar, etc. BTW you will be basically doubling your displacement and whp which will hopefully make up for the slightly heavier engine.

Averaged dressed LS weight is 460lbs
The N52B30, the aluminum/magnesium 3.0 liter engine is 161 kg (354lb)

106 lb difference which again you can make up some of that with CF if you really cared.

But if handling was so important you probably would not be driving a 3600lb 4 door sedan to start with. When you think of great handling sports cars I doubt the e90 is on anyone's list. Miata? Sure.

Quote:
You know what would be absolutely ideal? A 3.4L N52 high output motor that weighs 350 pounds, putting down say 330-350hp.
Ugh really? 350hp at the crank is more like 300whp. So under 100whp per liter. That is really not that impressive for an NA engine...maybe back in 2006? Sound like the output of a VQ 3.5L back in the early 2000s. Also, for 8k for only 300whp? It just does not seem like a good deal.

Isn't the n52 undersquare design? Adding displacement is not going to make it want to rev more right? If I has an n52 I would want it to rev to the moon with some aftermarket cams.

Quote:
it would give it the thing it lacks most - pure acceleration.
I mean...adding 100 crank hp is not going to feel 'crazy'. I mean it might for the 1st month...Luckily there are some mods you can do to the stock n52 to wake it up. But behind the autoslushbox it is generally a turd IMO, I know others may feel differently. It is what it is.

Quote:
you *could* stroke an N52 and maybe get one of the best sleeper cars ever made.
A turbo LS or SC S65 or a high strung ST N54 with a 328i single exhaust & bumper sounds like a sleeper to me. Gotta have the 328i trunk decal too on stock BMW rims. Maybe some grocery bags in the back seat or a kid/baby's seat etc. Maybe add on some bumper stickers or something?

Last edited by Torgus; 03-05-2022 at 10:21 AM..
Appreciate 2
tetsuo1111227.00
gaze29.00
      03-05-2022, 09:40 AM   #6
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i 6MT

tl;dr torgus mega-chad
Torgus3781.50
e90yyc2426.50
ccyccm22.00
PhaceN52174.50
      03-05-2022, 09:50 AM   #7
desertman123
E82 Mudflap Ambassador
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 128i

Garage List
1992 Honda Beat  [9.50]
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2014 BMW 528i  [10.00]
Quote:

You asked for our thoughts, so here they are.

Torgus is hitting the nail on the head here. The value simply isn't there. Yes the stroker kit is cool as hell. But show me some more info on it besides a tiny picture on a website from 2005.

There's a reason the N54 gets mentioned time and time again when these threads pop up. Yes they have their issues, but so do heavily modified cars/engines. N54/N55 are a drop-in deal for E9x and E82/88 chassis cars.

I keep seeing it on the Facebook groups and on these forums - N52 owners simply refuse to consider any ideas that aren't dumping money into their lightweight magnesium block motors to end up with unimpressive power. Either it's some crazy NA build or building it for boost. Is it the sunk-cost fallacy? You'll end up in the same spot with the ESS kit + headers + MILVS + StageFP tune.

Take an E46 M3 for a spin.

Quote:
Perhaps an S65 or N55 swap, but don't come on here talking about an LS swap, what are you smoking? We didn't buy high performance German sports sedans so that we could turn around and drop some garbage domestic engine in it, if that's what we wanted we would have bought 2003 GMC Savana vans instead.

A aluminum Corvette LS and an iron block 5.3 are different motors, so you know.
Appreciate 3
      03-05-2022, 11:04 AM   #8
tom.gnade
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
As I said, I am probably never going to do this, but it is fun to poke around and consider options. Yes, my 328 with simple mods handles beautifully - better than most cars on the road - obviously not better than an M car. I have an e92 and the curb weight is 3350lb. My 328 absolutely destroys the Integra and Civic I used to drive in terms of neutrality, stability, control, dynamics, etc. The car isn't terribly fast, but it's right on the edge of "just fast enough". The question here is what are the alternatives with low miles (under 50k) that have been well-cared for?

911 Carrera - $75k
Cayman - $55k
LCI 335i/is - $25-30k
M2 - $64k
E92 M3 - $45-50k
Tesla S - $55k
E36 M3 - $50k
EV West Tesla Conversion - $80-100k
N54 "drop-in" motor? - I'm guessing 15-20k?

My 328 looks just as good as a 335is or arguably an E92 M3. It looks better than the E36 M3 in my opinion. I don't want to deal with the engine issues of the N54 or the M3, although I'm sure they would both be glorious to drive. The Tesla is the better looking car, debatably, but the 328 handles far better in my direct driving experience. The 911 is a pipe dream, way too far out of reach. The Cayman is also out of reach unless you go for an older one, but I don't want to wonder how long I have until the rear main seal blows a $20k motor to bits, but I have thought about that possibility many times over. It also only has 2 seats, so that's a real problem when you just have to have 4 seats in a car, as I do. Therefore, the Cayman is also eliminated. The M2 is too expensive for me at this time, and honestly I like the size and proportions of the E92 better than either the M2 or the M4, though they do have some superior styling elements. The rub on all of these options is you are inheriting someone else's problems, and will have to fix all of the maintenance and repairs they didn't bother with, so there is a real possibility that it would take another 2-5k in repairs to get the "new to me" car in the state of maintenance my 328 is in currently. Rod bearings on the M3? 3k. Injectors, fuel pump, turbos, or walnut blast on a used 335? Literally, the 335i I took for a test drive died while I was driving it and left me on the side of the road. A good friend of mine had a Mini with a very similar engine and it was a constant non-stop failure at every turn, a total disaster. I congratulate you on your luck and success with those cars. I wouldn't bother buying a turbo BMW unless it had a B58 or S58 - that means it would have to be an M240i, which costs about 35-40k and is butt-ugly compared to my car. No thank you. BMW has just completely screwed the pooch on making a sports coupe with the right proportions and beauty. The M4 is too big and tubby, and the M2 is too small and has some odd styling elements to my eye. The E92 is just the right proportions, as was the E46.

No, my 328 isn't terribly fast, but it would be a lot more fun with a bit more power, so it's interesting to think of ways that could be achieved - obviously cost-effectively. I already have 3IM, MILVs and headers going in in the next week or two, so that will probably be the end of the road for me on this car.

Probably the closest viable alternative would be to drop in an N54, as you suggested: https://www.ghassanautomotive.com/pr...bmw-n54-engine

$3500 for a rebuilt N54. Not bad. I would also have to probably get a new transmission, the entire exhaust system from downpipes to mufflers, a new fuel system, and pay for labor for the whole thing. That would be what, $20k minimum all said and done? The motor weighs 430 pounds too, so that might affect the driving dynamics that I think make the 328 handle so well.

It would be less hassle to just buy a used 335i/is, it would maybe cost a net 15k to do that. Then again, I would be inheriting someone's used and possibly abused 335, with a ton of catch-up repair work or future surprises in store.

The bottom line is that my extremely well-cared for N52 would be quite difficult to replace for anything less than $20k net out of pocket, and for something that a person like me really wants, who is very picky about styling and proportions - it would be much closer to $40-50k.

Let's be honest, the N52 is absolutely far more reliable than the N54 taken as a whole population, and the problems are inexpensive and simple to repair. I stated the N52 is one of the most reliable engines BMW ever built, and that is true. It is not a Toyota motor, but the problems that pop up really aren't all that hard or expensive to fix, typically. Knock on wood.

So, if it were possible to figure out how to "stroke" the N52 to 93mm, get close to 3.2L displacement, tune the car to say 305hp, and get that whole thing done for 8k, well, then that really would be a reasonable solution. We can agree to disagree on this one.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2022, 11:27 AM   #9
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertman123 View Post
Take an E46 M3 for a spin.
I have driven and passed e46m3’s on the track in my e92. I much prefer my e92 to the e46m3.

But there is no wrong answer here. I for one can appreciate probably more than anyone on this forum that some people would want to spend way too much money on their N52

My buddy sent me this today, and I know personally it hits very close to home

Appreciate 4
Torgus3781.50
tetsuo1111227.00
      03-05-2022, 12:01 PM   #10
thalastdon1985
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

Quote:
Right, you bought a NON high performance German car designed to be a commuter car. I did the same thing. Literally their lowest cost entry point at that time
Are you aware that BMW sells cars all over the world? That have many cheaper models available in other countries.
Appreciate 1
Torgus3781.50
      03-05-2022, 01:09 PM   #11
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
8k into the n52 stroker nets you call it 300/300 at the wheels on a dynojet. Or you could do this: https://22rpd.com/blog/350whp-n52-and-how-we-got-there

8k in an N54 or S65 gets you over 600whp or more. Literally double the HP and TQ at the wheels.

335i can be picked up for under 10k. Plenty in the 5-10k range depending what you want. The S65M3 is north of 20k but plenty to choose from in the low 20s. Miles don't matter so much, just check compression like you would on any n54 or S65 before you buy them. Engine swaps are rarely worth it and if you can't turn your own wrenches, they are NOT worth it. Better off buying the right car with the right engine and transmission from the get go. Been there done that, never again.

I'm all for investing stupid money in a car that is not worth it. That is my e92 Get the stroker kit and let us know how it goes. I think you will be VERY disappointed with the bang for your buck but you do you.

I always come back to the fact BMW gave the e9X consumers 3 very clear and different engine options. Each engine has a good place in the market. The S65 is the high strung NA V8 for motorsports, the N54 TT FI engine which is the 'high performance' commuter engine in the chassis, the n52 'lower performance' commuter engine. Each engine has a place in the e9X market and there are different buyers for each engine. Example hypothetical situation: You buy an m3 for yourself and your wife likes it, do you A: buy her an m3 or option B: a 328i that 'looks the same' to her. Option B you save on MSRP, reliability, better MPG, etc. I'm not saying N52 are for women, I owned one. I am just giving you an example. Most women don't know dick about cars or engines, I don't know dick about makeup and fasion. I know a guy who bought his wife the slowest fucking BMW on the planet and she loved it because it was a vert bmw. That is all she cared about: the badge and the vert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalastdon1985 View Post
Are you aware that BMW sells cars all over the world? That have many cheaper models available in other countries.
Yes, what is your point? This site is predominantly(95%) used by people in North America. Everyone who has posted in this thread is in NA. The OP is in NA.

I could mention international models but why bring them up? They are not relevant to the discussion...

Last edited by Torgus; 03-05-2022 at 03:10 PM..
Appreciate 2
tetsuo1111227.00
      03-05-2022, 03:02 PM   #12
desertman123
E82 Mudflap Ambassador
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 128i

Garage List
1992 Honda Beat  [9.50]
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2014 BMW 528i  [10.00]
Get the stroker kit and prove us wrong.
Appreciate 2
Torgus3781.50
      03-05-2022, 07:37 PM   #13
thalastdon1985
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

Quote:
Yes, what is your point? This site is predominantly(95%) used by people in North America. Everyone who has posted in this thread is in NA. The OP is in NA.

I could mention international models but why bring them up? They are not relevant to the discussion...

I brought it up because you have twice said that the n52 is the economy engine. It isn't really though. The 330i and 3.0si versions of the n52 are pretty respectable for non M production cars with a 3.0l engine. And as you know, the engine across the n52 range in the US market is the same engine with different tuning. BMW advertised it as the most advanced 6 cylinder they had produced. And it was. They then decided to add a direct injection turbo model as premium in the US and other markets, and a direct injected version of the n52 as well on most markets. BMW says the reason the n53 didn't come to the US market was the sulphur levels in our fuel caused issues with the injectors. But the injectors in the n54 were essentially the same. I believe they moved to the direct injection and turbo as an efficiency measure as most manufacturers have, and used the opportunity to introduce a more competitive premium model with the addition of turbos. Direct injection was nothing new in 2007. GM had it in production sooner. And BMW most certainly didn't invent turbocharging. Everyone knows you can make more power with a turbo. No one on this forum has discovered some great secret by boosting a stock turbo car more and making good power.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2022, 07:25 AM   #14
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
I brought it up because you have twice said that the n52 is the economy engine. It isn't really though. The 330i and 3.0si versions of the n52 are pretty respectable for non M production cars with a 3.0l engine. And as you know, the engine across the n52 range in the US market is the same engine with different tuning. BMW advertised it as the most advanced 6 cylinder they had produced. And it was. They then decided to add a direct injection turbo model as premium in the US and other markets, and a direct injected version of the n52 as well on most markets. BMW says the reason the n53 didn't come to the US market was the sulphur levels in our fuel caused issues with the injectors. But the injectors in the n54 were essentially the same. I believe they moved to the direct injection and turbo as an efficiency measure as most manufacturers have, and used the opportunity to introduce a more competitive premium model with the addition of turbos. Direct injection was nothing new in 2007. GM had it in production sooner. And BMW most certainly didn't invent turbocharging. Everyone knows you can make more power with a turbo. No one on this forum has discovered some great secret by boosting a stock turbo car more and making good power.
If you offer 3 engines and one costs the least, is the most reliable of the 3, and gives the best mpg how is that not the most economical engine to purchase?

You pay for performance.

Fast
Cheap
Reliable

Pick 2

Again, I don't understand how models sold out of North America matter to this conversation? Especially in terms of a stroker kit.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2022, 09:51 AM   #15
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
If you offer 3 engines and one costs the least, is the most reliable of the 3, and gives the best mpg how is that not the most economical engine to purchase?

You pay for performance.

Fast
Cheap
Reliable

Pick 2

Again, I don't understand how models sold out of North America matter to this conversation? Especially in terms of a stroker kit.
Regardless if the origins, the N52 is a nice little motor. We now have some reasonable bolts-on options and tunes to take it much further than BMW envisioned. It's just a fun little motor.

It seems that most people like the free revving NA motor and would like even more RPMs. Unfortunately the motor has no aftermarket support for Intakes or cams. Hell, no one really knows if the cylinder head actually flows well enough to take it much further.

Stoker kits have been around for a very long time, I helped someone in Germany with a 3.2 liter tune back in 2015. If they were really that good, they probably would have gained a little more traction in the market by now.

My assistance was ISN key related and I did nothing with the tune. The tune. written by some one unknown to me was pretty basic, I expected much more.

Adding 200cc is about 6.6% to the displacement, it's unlikely that you will pull that much more air into the cylinders , so you gain maybe 5% peek torque but will probably gain even less at high RPMs as we are near the airflow limits of the engine. Just might get to the limits a little sooner.

It's clear that there is a huge demand for aftermarket intake ,cams and matching tunes but no one will buy them unless they are less expensive than the car being modded. Hmmmm.
Appreciate 1
Torgus3781.50
      03-06-2022, 10:03 AM   #16
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Just for clarification. The N53 uses direct injection to enable stratified charge mode. This allows the engine to run very lean under light and medium loads. The is why the N53 has such great fuel economy. Medium and high loads the engine switches back to homogenous mode.

Stratified mode creates very high levels of NO and requires special catalytic converters. It's the converters that don't agree with the sulfur in domestic fuel, not the injectors.

The N54s were also designed to run stratified modes but the was never implemented in any market.

It's likely that BMW switched to cheaper less complicated injectors on the N55 when they gave up Stratified modes.
Appreciate 1
Torgus3781.50
      03-06-2022, 11:02 PM   #17
tlow98
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Rebello has a good name. Iirc they made the engines for the Speed World challenge cars back in the day. If they still make to the same spec then they’re hard to beat.

I also would like to see punched out N52. The world could stand to see another great NA motor. After all, they’re more or less extinct anyway.

I owned an 46M. Great car. Perfect? No. Oh well.

We don’t have much to hang our NA hats on these days boys. No manufacturers will be making them in the future, save for GMA. So, go buy a T33, or punch out your n52.

Suddenly, the n52 looks cheap as chips, which it is.

As far as the n54/55 comments. Good lord, there’s still that issue on here? C’mon, scrap it.
Appreciate 2
Noir883.00
      03-08-2022, 06:10 PM   #18
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (GM-delete 6MT)

When will people realize that not everyone cares only about HP/$.

There’s something enjoyable about working on a prudish platform that doesn’t just hand over power like a whore (N54) does pussy.
3PedalJake2613.50
      03-10-2022, 06:11 PM   #19
tom.gnade
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Interesting fun fact, VAC motor sports is advertising a built N52 motor "coming soon" on their website. I wonder what they've been up to? Wouldn't it be better overall to squeeze the power out of the internals than to add a supercharger with all that extra weight and drag on the motor? This car is already kind of boggy down low. A kit that bumped stroke to the max like 93.5mm or whatever the clearance would allow, and cranked compression up to 11.5 would be a fantastic upgrade giving lots of torque down low where you need it. Would be great for a street car that rarely if ever sees 6k rpm!

https://store.vacmotorsports.com/bmw...n52-p5430.aspx

My guess is they will start at 15k and go up from there?

Last edited by tom.gnade; 03-11-2022 at 03:30 PM..
Appreciate 1
Noir883.00
      03-11-2022, 03:20 PM   #20
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i 6MT

Quote:
Interesting fun fact, VAC motor sports is advertising a built N52 motor "coming soon" on their website. I wonder what they've been up to? Wouldn't it be better overall to squeeze the power out of the intervals than to add a supercharger with all that extra weight and drag on the motor? This car is already kind of boggy down low. A kit that bumped stroke to the max like 93.5mm or whatever the clearance would allow, and cranked compression up to 11.5 would be a fantastic upgrade giving lots of torque down low where you need it. Would be great for a street car that rarely if ever sees 6k rpm!

https://store.vacmotorsports.com/bmw...n52-p5430.aspx

My guess is they will start at 15k and go up from there?
You can see the price of the fancy heads they are doing … 👀 I've been wanting those for a while.
      03-11-2022, 03:31 PM   #21
tom.gnade
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
You can see the price of the fancy heads they are doing … 👀 I've been wanting those for a while.
Well, it will be a heck of lot cheaper than buying one of those ugly little M2s for 55k. lol.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2022, 03:46 PM   #22
stilesg57
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '07 328i 6MT

I bought my E90 in October.

By next month I'll have put more money into it that I paid for it, with (almost) zero regrets.

Even I think this is nuts
Upgrades: Full Suspension Refresh ● M3 Control & Manzo Toe Arms, AKG 75D Sub Bushings, Eibach F&R Swaybars, Eibach ProKit & Koni Yellows ● TA5R Wheels 17x8.5 ET38 245/40R17 (15mm R spacer) ● 3.73 Diff ● 3SIM ● Kassel Tune
Appreciate 2
Noir883.00
Torgus3781.50