E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Watchdog This Week It Looks Like It Is About Bmw

09-19-2012, 04:36 PM   #309
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E93learner View Post
guys

watchdog, bmw is on again

about insurance companies not paying for stolen cars
Glad I watched it!

My insurance is up for renewal next mth,and I got a very good quote from LV.
I'll be giving them a miss after seeing what that unfortunate owner went through with them,nine mths to settle a claim,jokers

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 04:26 AM   #310
khurmit
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by parapaul View Post
That's it though, the keys aren't being cloned. 99% likely the thieves only have one key, so there's probably not even any record of unusual sales of spare keys.
What I can't understand is why this key programming equipment is available in the 1st place.

BMW themselves don't seem to be able to (or admit to) reprogramme a second-hand key, so why have they got these tools for independent dealers?

There are no indies who will say "yeah just get any key and I'll re-prog it for you" - they say you have to order from dealer.

SO are these thieves using a single key & reprogramming it or are they ordering blank ones from BMW?

I've only got 1 key for my car - I was told that I would have to order a new one from BMW and that the Ebay second hand keys would be useless as they can't be re-prog'd. Seems not?

The thieves could start a legit business selling extra keys to genuine BMW owners!

Confused
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 06:21 AM   #311
foxy-stoat
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 320 E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by mob17 View Post
Just ordered a dummy OBD port. Should arrive on Tuesday from Germany.

I asked them about this and the guy just said phone cust serv. i said they said to call my dealer and he said they've been told to tell owners to call cust services. Bloody BMW dealers...

Do you have a part number for this and how much was it, if you mind me asking?

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 06:45 AM   #312
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxy-stoat
Quote:

I asked them about this and the guy just said phone cust serv. i said they said to call my dealer and he said they've been told to tell owners to call cust services. Bloody BMW dealers...

Yeah, its the part number on that excellent security sticky that makkan did. Should be on the first post. Cost around £5.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 06:47 AM   #313
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by mob17
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, its the part number on that excellent security sticky that makkan did. Should be on the first post. Cost around £5.
Mob17,
Have you moved yours yet?
      09-20-2012, 07:06 AM   #314
foxy-stoat
First Lieutenant
Rep

Found that excellent sticky shortly after, have moved my port already...
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 07:24 AM   #315
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Found that excellent sticky shortly after, have moved my port already...
Cool!

By the way thanks for reminding me, i ordered mine a week ago and completely forgot about it. Im picking it up today.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 07:26 AM   #316
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Makkan - Yeah, i moved mine last week and will be putting the dummy one in today
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 10:36 AM   #317
coopersim
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 420d

Just watched it, took an age to find on iPlayer 10 minutes 25 in case anyone want to watch:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode..._30_Episode_2/
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 10:46 AM   #318
Squintstream
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 435i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopersim View Post
Just watched it, took an age to find on iPlayer 10 minutes 25 in case anyone want to watch:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode..._30_Episode_2/
Nice toupee on that unlucky bloke who had his car stolen!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 10:56 AM   #319
coopersim
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 420d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squintstream View Post
Nice toupee on that unlucky bloke who had his car stolen!
You must be like my wife - can spot one a mile off!

...I'm always totally oblivious
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 02:03 PM   #320
khurmit
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3

Does anyone know if it's definitely possible to reprog an old ebay key? Isn't this what the thieves are doing? If so I'm going to buy the tools and ebay keys to prog new keys for both my cars as I've only got one each. Saves paying extortionate dealer prices...
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 07:57 PM   #321
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

I called in yesterday to put my name in for the alterations.

The call was answered within a minute and the women I spoke to was nice but very dizzy.

After giving my registration she still had to ask me what model of car.

I didn't pick up any sense of seriousness or care with getting this problem dealt with.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 12:30 PM   #322
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

Speaking to a police officer from Aberdeen, I'm told that BMWs are surprisingly rarely stolen. No increase lately either.

Apparently it is Audi that is the thieves preferred car of choice up here outnumbering everyone by a mile.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 11:43 AM   #323
foxy-stoat
First Lieutenant
Rep

Just had this emailed to me from my insurance company, wonder if they will refuse to pay out should my car go missing if I DONT take it to BMW to get the free upgrade?

Anyone know or had this done yet if it wipes a re-mapped ecu software???:

Dear Mr sucker

You may have seen in the news recently that some BMW car models are unfortunately affected by a security flaw. As a customer and owner of a BMW we wanted to make you aware of this so you can take the necessary precautions and help prevent thefts of BMWs.

BMW has advised that the security breach only affects models which were built from 2006 to September 2011.

The security flaw lies with the electronic key. A device now exists which enables its user to access a car's on-board computer and program a blank key. In the wrong hands, a thief can steal a BMW in just a few minutes using the device.

How you can reduce the threat of car theft:

BMW has announced that they will offer a free upgrade of security features for cars affected. Therefore we would recommend that you contact your BMW service department or your nearest BMW dealer who will be able to advise you further.

Visit the BMW website to find out more.

Yours sincerely

moneygrabbing insurance co.com
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 06:51 AM   #324
Dizzle
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 335xD

Interesting, whos the insurance company?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 08:00 AM   #325
TripleBlack
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW E93 335i

So as it currently stands, we dont know what this fix entails and whilst we sit around waiting, our insurance companies are busy compiling ways they can get out of paying out should the cars go missing... like politly nudging you towards BMW, indirectly indicating that if you dont get the job done or show you are being proactive about it they will screw you.

I havent registered with BMW yet, I'd rather just wait and see what turns up and then decide if I go down their route or otherwise. Port relocated for now.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 08:12 AM   #326
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleBlack View Post
So as it currently stands, we dont know what this fix entails and whilst we sit around waiting, our insurance companies are busy compiling ways they can get out of paying out should the cars go missing... like politly nudging you towards BMW, indirectly indicating that if you dont get the job done or show you are being proactive about it they will screw you.

I havent registered with BMW yet, I'd rather just wait and see what turns up and then decide if I go down their route or otherwise. Port relocated for now.
Typical of what big companies do best....shifting the blame...always...

BMW will say, its up to car insurance companies to compensate their clients and insurance companies will say its bmw's fault....and Marks n Spencer charges 5p for a plastic bag....blaming pollution on "normal" people!...when there are massive factories blowing smoke n sh1t and hundreds or thousands of planes taking off at airports....

sorry rant over...
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 08:17 AM   #327
TripleBlack
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zltm089 View Post
Typical of what big companies do best....shifting the blame...always...

BMW will say, its up to car insurance companies to compensate their clients and insurance companies will say its bmw's fault....and Marks n Spencer charges 5p for a plastic bag....blaming pollution on "normal" people!...when there are massive factories blowing smoke n sh1t and hundreds or thousands of planes taking off at airports....

sorry rant over...
+1 too right
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 09:06 AM   #328
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxy-stoat View Post
Just had this emailed to me from my insurance company, wonder if they will refuse to pay out should my car go missing if I DONT take it to BMW to get the free upgrade?

Anyone know or had this done yet if it wipes a re-mapped ecu software???:

Dear Mr sucker

You may have seen in the news recently that some BMW car models are unfortunately affected by a security flaw. As a customer and owner of a BMW we wanted to make you aware of this so you can take the necessary precautions and help prevent thefts of BMWs.

BMW has advised that the security breach only affects models which were built from 2006 to September 2011.

The security flaw lies with the electronic key. A device now exists which enables its user to access a car's on-board computer and program a blank key. In the wrong hands, a thief can steal a BMW in just a few minutes using the device.

How you can reduce the threat of car theft:

BMW has announced that they will offer a free upgrade of security features for cars affected. Therefore we would recommend that you contact your BMW service department or your nearest BMW dealer who will be able to advise you further.

Visit the BMW website to find out more.

Yours sincerely

moneygrabbing insurance co.com
Foxy,
E-mail back to your insurance company with what BMW has issued in the media.
They clearly mentioned that it is 2007 onwards cars which leaves your car without any upgrade.
And on the other side, your insurance is clearly saying that you should have that upgrade.

I am not going to say a lot here, but yesterday I got a copy of this 'upgraded software' which BMW is going to launch soon.
I hope I get sometime this sunday to explore the files and give it a try on my car. Keeping my fingers crossed and I hope it really resolves this issue.

I will 'always' keep my OBD port disable / moved, as you never know that these gangs may come up with the new tricks to steal BMWs.
      09-26-2012, 09:19 AM   #329
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
I am not going to say a lot here, but yesterday I got a copy of this 'upgraded software' which BMW is going to launch soon.
I hope I get sometime this sunday to explore the files and give it a try on my car. Keeping my fingers crossed and I hope it really resolves this issue.
What interests me Makka (apart from whether the software will work) is whether having the software upgraded will remove my 'enhanced' map,and return it to the stock map?

I've read recently of an X5 owner who's car was kept overnight,which to me sounds like a long time for a software upgrade if it just focuses on the security.
Will you be able to find out from the files you have, whether it will have an impact for those with enhanced maps?

Cheers in advance.

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 09:43 AM   #330
foxy-stoat
First Lieutenant
Rep

I am waiting on a reply but I very much doubt I will get one in writing either way.

I know exactly what they are trying to do, highlighting an issue with recommendations to go to the manufacturer's for a possible fix. If it a manufacturer's recommendation that the car has the upgrade and I didn't follow it up then it would put me on the back foot.

If my car was to disappear then they can ask me the question, "did you do what we suggested in our email blah blah blah", if the answer is No then they could say I did not take reasonable steps to safe guard my car and maybe refuse or put up a fight. Of course they would not be able to prove that if the car did get stolen it was done by the OBC port or towed or whatever, so I very much doubt this would stand up to the Ombudsmen if challenged.

My car was built April 2007 and registered June 2007 so I guess mine is one of the ones that are "officially" effected.

I have taken steps and moved my port and disabled one of the relys on a switch, so if they did locate the OBC port, the thing still wont start.

I would of thought that the next step for the thieves would be just to connect straight into the wiring behind the a/c panel and forget completely about the OBC port.
Appreciate 0