E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Who is buying cars with nav

06-23-2011, 03:58 AM   #45
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

I'm looking for M3's at the mo, which as you know come with Nav whether you like it or not.

There are an awful lot which have basically NO other options at all, so that kinda makes me wonder whether that buyer was 'satisfied' with the base spec because it had Nav, or whether if the car had been cheaper (without Nav) whether they would have added it, or spent the saved cash on something else - other options, mods, their insurance, pies... Who knows?

One thing I do know is.... My M3 would have had to have Nav (even if it wasn't forced upon the model) as well as leather (also standard I believe) bluetooth, hifi upgrade, adaptive xenons, DAB, USB and EDC as a bare minimum. I'll probably have to wait and pay for those things, but that's what I want....

Matt
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 04:04 AM   #46
Nick999
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: E92 335i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_s1 View Post
Are you Clarkson in disguise? He doesn't understand iDrive either
Lol. No not him either. I hope I understand it, I'm an IT tech.. That idrive is very basic!!

Dont get me wrong, if a black or white high spec, low mileage 335i manual M Sport coupe had come up in the BMW dealer network with idrive, I would have bought it.

With or with out nav.. It's hard to find a good un that ticks all the boxes.. I would have liked folding mirrors, but you cant have it all.
      06-23-2011, 04:21 AM   #47
chris_s1
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT

Garage List
2012 E92 335d  [8.66]
I guess everyone has different priorities in a car and finding a used example is a lot tougher than ticking boxes on an order form for sure.

I think all the iDrive fans get annoyed with people that don't like it without actually having used it properly. I wasn't interested in it at all when I bought the car, I thought TomTom was great and iDrive was a big waste of money. But having lived with it for a good while - I wouldn't be without it now.

I think the telling factor is there aren't many people who have iDrive and wouldn't want it again. Many of my other options, 19" wheels, body kit etc, I could live without next time...
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 04:22 AM   #48
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by p1tse View Post
really, how does that work?
I believe it's a part of ConnectedDrive functionality. It's a really great feature IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick999 View Post
As for the whole nav /idrive thing.. Looks like my theory is panning out.. Most nav cars seem to be ordered with a lower options spec than non nav cars. Seems like the whole £2k budget was wasted on this single option.. So only standard 18" wheels fitted, no heated seats or sunroof, and in many cases even NO leather!!
Not sure about that, as ///ajd was saying it's largely a function of the base price/where a particular model sits in the range.

///ajd put together some rudimentary stats that illustrate this. There is a greater %age of cars with nav the higher up the model range you go.

Despite your assertions, I don't think a sunroof is seen as a "high spec" option. It's just a take it or leave it thing for many people. If they're that bothered they'd buy a 'vert...

Also you're still missing the point that A LOT of E9x cars are fleet and quite a few will have nav in the form of the "business" option which has a smaller screen and I think other functionality is limited too.

Quote:
A £130 TomTom has google maps and speed camera sites, plus ofcourse 7 digit post code. If owners had opted for this they could be enjoying their NON-RATTLING sunroof. It's a BMW not a 1979 Ford Capri!!!

Although all this technology makes me hanker back to my Sierra Cosworth's in the 1990's. NO technology, just a pure drivers car!!
You're making way too big a deal of this sunroof thing IMO, it's just not something that people care about that much any more with the advent of climate control etc.

Back in the day it used to be a much more sought after feature....perhaps you're showing your age a little

The 7-character postcode thing is a bit of a farce, that I will agree with. However, the nav has never done wrong by me and it's taken me door-to-door from home to various locations in France without issue.

As for the speed-cameras, how many built-in sat-navs offer this function? I don;t know of any but I'm happy to be educated.

I personally use CoPilot Live 8 on my Android phone for the speed-camera alerts and it does a good enough job...no tickets yet (touch wood).

EDIT:

ooooooooooooooooooo I stand corrected. Rog's 370z does speed camera warnings! Sweet.

Last edited by toxicnerve; 06-23-2011 at 04:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 04:43 AM   #49
BIGTIME
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT - Mineral White

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicnerve View Post
+1.

He's taking the piss. There's another member (who's been awfully quiet as of late, banned?) how also doesn't like nav etc.
Has Matt been Banned? What for?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 04:58 AM   #50
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335d M-Sport

I have no idea, just speculating because he's not been around...
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 05:02 AM   #51
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

Quote:
I wouldn't worry, he comes and goes when it suits.

Matt
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 05:14 AM   #52
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
I used to love cissies. Was a dream car growing up. Untill I test drove a handful!!
      06-23-2011, 05:34 AM   #53
Nick999
Lieutenant
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
I used to love cossies. Was a dream car growing up. Untill I test drove a handful!!
Here is a picture of my first of three back in 1992.. My favourit car, I owned for 5 years!! However I bet after all these years if I drove one today I would be disappointed after owning four BMW coupes etc.

06-23-2011, 05:49 AM   #54
Chris100
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport Highline Coupe

My current E92 doesn't have Nav but it is something I will be after next time and I will hold out until I can find a car in the right spec with it fitted, the colour screen and integration with the ipod interests me more than the Nav function to be honest as living in Northern Ireland you very rarely need Nav to find your way around and I never take my own car to the mainland I tend to fly and hire a car.

My next E92 will have to have the below spec before I buy, otherwise I may go for a TTS. A friend just bought one and the interior is leagues ahead of my E92 and it is just as nice to drive.
335i/335d M sport
Mineral White
Red Leather/heated
313 alloys
Professional Nav
Speaker upgrade
USB interface
Bluetooth
rear lip spoiler
Privacy glass.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 06:01 AM   #55
CarAbuser
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i DCT / E92 335i DCT

The nav is just overpriced.
I find it hard to believe that anyone buying a new car would choose nav over an M-Sport upgrade.

Navigation adds a screen to your dash.

M-Sport will add upgraded wheels, suspension, seats, interior upgrades such as roof lining and steering wheel and an exterior bodykit.

Infact for the cost of navigation you could almost upgrade from a 4-door to a coupe or from a 320 to 325.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 06:06 AM   #56
- Paul -
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: see above.

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [10.00]
2005 645  [9.00]
Quote:
I used to love cissies.
      06-23-2011, 06:12 AM   #57
Nick999
Lieutenant
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris100 View Post
My current E92 doesn't have Nav but it is something I will be after next time and I will hold out until I can find a car in the right spec with it fitted, the colour screen and integration with the ipod interests me more than the Nav function to be honest as living in Northern Ireland you very rarely need Nav to find your way around and I never take my own car to the mainland I tend to fly and hire a car.

My next E92 will have to have the below spec before I buy, otherwise I may go for a TTS. A friend just bought one and the interior is leagues ahead of my E92 and it is just as nice to drive.
335i/335d M sport
Mineral White
Red Leather/heated
313 alloys
Professional Nav
Speaker upgrade
USB interface
Bluetooth
rear lip spoiler
Privacy glass.
You will never find it .lol. Thats pretty much the spec car I want next, but with black leather and no nav (come on LLOY shares!!)

You may as well order new.. Here is my quote..

VEHICLE SELECTED
BMW 3 Series 335i M Sport 2dr YOU HAVE CHOSEN
Metallic - Mineral white Black Dakota leather - BlackIndividual sun protection..M sports suspension Bluetooth hands free tele..PASRear parking distance con..Cruise control with brake..Electric folding mirrors Dark aluminium glacier si..USB/audio interface High gloss shadow lineElectric tilt/slide glass Sunroof..Smokers pack - 3 Series c..Heated front seats 19" light double spoke alloy wheels style 313..BASIC PRICE £33,180
OPTIONS TOTAL £2565
SAVING £5,755
TOTAL PRICE
£35,745.
      06-23-2011, 06:23 AM   #58
Manoah
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i, LE R1

wanted nav, just didnt work out. i'll hard wire in a aftermarket one.
      06-23-2011, 06:34 AM   #59
CarAbuser
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i DCT / E92 335i DCT

Quote:
You will never find it .lol. Thats pretty much the spec car I want next, but with black leather and no nav (come on LLOY shares!!)

You may as well order new.. Here is my quote..

VEHICLE SELECTED
BMW 3 Series 335i M Sport 2dr YOU HAVE CHOSEN
Metallic - Mineral white Black Dakota leather - BlackIndividual sun protection..M sports suspension Bluetooth hands free tele..PASRear parking distance con..Cruise control with brake..Electric folding mirrors Dark aluminium glacier si..USB/audio interface High gloss shadow lineElectric tilt/slide glass Sunroof..Smokers pack - 3 Series c..Heated front seats 19" light double spoke alloy wheels style 313..BASIC PRICE £33,180
OPTIONS TOTAL £2565
SAVING £5,755
TOTAL PRICE
£35,745.
If you're waiting for Lloyds shares to pay for the next car it may be a long wait!
I was tempted to buy when they hit troubles but luckily decided to blow it on a car instead.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 06:52 AM   #60
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Here is a picture of my first of three back in 1992.. My favourit car, I owned for 5 years!! However I bet after all these years if I drove one today I would be disappointed after owning four BMW coupes etc.

Nick that looks the bowlacks, I test drove a Crystal blue 2wd with 310HP
and also a 280HP magenta 4x4. Also test drove a small turbo escos!

I've got tucked away in my garage a Fiesta RS Turbo!!!

Did you tune yours?!
      06-23-2011, 07:04 AM   #61
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
Matt has been quiet of late, but I don't think he's been banned.

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 07:08 AM   #62
BGM
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 M140i

nav is definitely a deal breaker for me, the convenience of having a built in unit is amazing.

yes, it costs a hell of a lot, but there will always be people out there willing to pay more for a used one due to it.

i would not even consider any car now without navigation in the dash
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 07:09 AM   #63
Nick999
Lieutenant
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Nick that looks the bowlacks, I test drove a Crystal blue 2wd with 310HP
and also a 280HP magenta 4x4. Also test drove a small turbo escos!

I've got tucked away in my garage a Fiesta RS Turbo!!!

Did you tune yours?!
That car put the hairs up on the back of my neck every time I drove it. Had a new Honda Fireblade at the time, and the Cossie was faster!!!

Yes I did tune them my self. Very easy 24 pin chip replacenent, actuator, three bar map sensor, green injectors, oil breather system and group A head gasket. couldnt be bothered doing all that my self these days, although I am gonna plug a JB+ in and a K&N filter.

That car was 340bhp on interpro rollers.. Had a lovely moonstone blue two wheel drive next then finally a flint grey 4x4.
      06-23-2011, 07:17 AM   #64
Nick999
Lieutenant
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarAbuser View Post
If you're waiting for Lloyds shares to pay for the next car it may be a long wait!
I was tempted to buy when they hit troubles but luckily decided to blow it on a car instead.
The last banking crisis paid for my latest 335i. In the past I have bought Lloyds at as low as 37p. But they soon recovered back then. Think I sold the last lot at 72p.. But yep they are in the doldrums at the moment!! I am way down at the moment.. May be keeping my Black un for a good while yet.
      06-23-2011, 08:04 AM   #65
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
That car put the hairs up on the back of my neck every time I drove it. Had a new Honda Fireblade at the time, and the Cossie was faster!!!

Yes I did tune them my self. Very easy 24 pin chip replacenent, actuator, three bar map sensor, green injectors, oil breather system and group A head gasket. couldnt be bothered doing all that my self these days, although I am gonna plug a JB+ in and a K&N filter.

That car was 340bhp on interpro rollers.. Had a lovely moonstone blue two wheel drive next then finally a flint grey 4x4.
Ideally I wanted a stage 3 one as that deffo quick enough.

I was so into Fords untill I discoverer BMW!
      06-23-2011, 08:40 AM   #66
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarAbuser View Post
The nav is just overpriced.
I find it hard to believe that anyone buying a new car would choose nav over an M-Sport upgrade.

Navigation adds a screen to your dash.

M-Sport will add upgraded wheels, suspension, seats, interior upgrades such as roof lining and steering wheel and an exterior bodykit.

Infact for the cost of navigation you could almost upgrade from a 4-door to a coupe or from a 320 to 325.
M-Sport is worth having it as it adds value to the car, so you get your enjoyment and get around 60% of the value back at the end, same with nav, it is now £1600 and you get £1200 back on it come trade in.

However, 19" wheels, sunroof, xenons, and even leather over the alcantara adds nothing to the resale, they are all options that you may prefer but the next person may not and because of that it adds sod all.
Appreciate 0