E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Oil Capacity for 2008 328i ARRGGHHH!

09-03-2011, 07:54 PM   #45
iflyjetzzz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

I haven't added any more oil. For the past 3 weeks, my car has read full instead of down 1 bar. Very frustrating.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2013, 07:27 AM   #46
woodpecka
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E91

Guys, I bring back this thread. My car has read full oil for 6 months and in 1 day it give me a +1. I added 1qrt and the car was still asking for +1. So, I drove 2 days with the yellow oil level warning and after a 1 hr ride yesterday, the level start showing +3/4.

So, I added 1/2, drove another 1hr and the car is still indicating +3/4. So, for now I plan to drive another week to see how this will evolve. I feel the oil level sensor is fault and I have too much oil. But, as I drove ~7k miles since the last oil change I don't think the extra 1 1/2 I added this week will cause an issue.

For the guys who had strange reading issues, I would like to know how you get this resolved?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2013, 08:14 AM   #47
mikekilpatrick
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW F10 550 Xdrive Msport

Time will tell

I have noticed over that past 4 oil changes (I do my oil every 3-4 k miles), I don't believe in BMW Oil schedule! I have always noticed when I put in 7 quarts, the oil meter still shows that it is short .5-1 quart of oil. Now, mind you, there is a RANGE for safety on these cars. You have a Min and a Max level indicator on the car. I would fill the car up with the recommended 7 quarts of oil and then drive it for a few hundred miles. I have found that after driving the car for a while, the oil meter will eventually read the proper amount of oil in the car properly.

Keep in mind, if you OVERFILL your oil in the car, it can cause damage as much as if you UNDERFILL the car. Too much oil can cause pressure buildup and depending on how much you over fill the car, there can be serious repercussions. My advice is to drain the engine very well and then put in 6.5 quarts, run the motor for about 5-10 minutes and check the meter again. If still showing low, add the other half quart and drive car for a 100 miles.

Here is the OFFICIAL BMW recommended OIL brands to use! Don't believe all the BS on the forums, here it is right from the Engineers mouths!

http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...ngineoils.aspx
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2013, 08:23 AM   #48
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikekilpatrick View Post
I have noticed over that past 4 oil changes (I do my oil every 3-4 k miles), I don't believe in BMW Oil schedule! I have always noticed when I put in 7 quarts, the oil meter still shows that it is short .5-1 quart of oil. Now, mind you, there is a RANGE for safety on these cars. You have a Min and a Max level indicator on the car. I would fill the car up with the recommended 7 quarts of oil and then drive it for a few hundred miles. I have found that after driving the car for a while, the oil meter will eventually read the proper amount of oil in the car properly.

Keep in mind, if you OVERFILL your oil in the car, it can cause damage as much as if you UNDERFILL the car. Too much oil can cause pressure buildup and depending on how much you over fill the car, there can be serious repercussions. My advice is to drain the engine very well and then put in 6.5 quarts, run the motor for about 5-10 minutes and check the meter again. If still showing low, add the other half quart and drive car for a 100 miles.

Here is the OFFICIAL BMW recommended OIL brands to use! Don't believe all the BS on the forums, here it is right from the Engineers mouths!

http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...ngineoils.aspx
Don't these two statements contradict each other? You believe in the type of oil BMW engineers recommend, but don't believe in the OCI BMW engineers recommend. Just wondering about the logic.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2013, 08:37 AM   #49
woodpecka
Major
Canada
Rep

I use Castrol 0w-30 syntec BMW ll-01 only.

There is some margin so I will drive like this for a few miles and see what the monitor is saying.

Btw, I found this info from BMW TIS and could be my issue:

Note: condensate in the engine oil.

Condensate that forms in the crankcase due to short distance driving can influence the permittivity. If the water is mixed in the engine oil, it also collects around the oil condition sensor.

If there is too much water in the crankcase:

In individual cases there can be an incorrect display of the oil level or a warning requesting that the oil be topped up.
This ”false oil level warning” can be treated by means of a fault profile selection on the BMW diagnosis system, whereby the permittivity of the oil is also evaluated. However, there is no direct display of the permittivity. The permittivity depends on, among other things, the viscosity or age of the oil. This means that an appraisal of the quality is not ensured in every case.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2013, 03:58 PM   #50
woodpecka
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodpecka
I use Castrol 0w-30 syntec BMW ll-01 only.

There is some margin so I will drive like this for a few miles and see what the monitor is saying.

Btw, I found this info from BMW TIS and could be my issue:

Note: condensate in the engine oil.

Condensate that forms in the crankcase due to short distance driving can influence the permittivity. If the water is mixed in the engine oil, it also collects around the oil condition sensor.

If there is too much water in the crankcase:

In individual cases there can be an incorrect display of the oil level or a warning requesting that the oil be topped up.
This ”false oil level warning” can be treated by means of a fault profile selection on the BMW diagnosis system, whereby the permittivity of the oil is also evaluated. However, there is no direct display of the permittivity. The permittivity depends on, among other things, the viscosity or age of the oil. This means that an appraisal of the quality is not ensured in every case.
I decided to change my oil and this seem to have fixed my issue. I added 6.5 L and I now get a full level reading.

I will post an updated status soon.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 01:58 PM   #51
woodpecka
Major
Canada
Rep

Oil change has fixed my issue!

I had ~ 8L of oil

I added 6.5 and the car asked for +.5. I added .5 and now the car is full and happy.
Appreciate 0