E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Aftermarket DRL issues...

06-04-2015, 12:15 PM   #1
JU57AJB
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 318D LCI

Aftermarket DRL issues...

Ok so hopefully this should be a simple one.

I have some aftermarket Ring Lyra DRLs which connect straight to the battery and detect when the engine is on. Well they come on ok but the dimmer circuit is not working right - there is a wire spliced into the sidelight power circuit to tell the LEDs when to dim i.e. When the halos come on.

Tried wiring it straight up and it was extremely unreliable and was not having the dimming at all.

Put a relay in now and it 'works' but the relay is buzzing and only seems to work if I increase RPM which I'm guessing increases power to the relay just enough to actuate it properly.

Now I've heard other people saying you need a relay with the dimming circuit on these DRLs and it does work better but now I have the relay buzzing/not always working problem - I've used a 40 amp relay as it was all I had to hand but would a lower amp relay be easier to 'actuate' and actually work without buzzing??
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 02:42 PM   #2
JU57AJB
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 318D LCI

And I've fixed the buzzing relay - apparently the factory lighting circuit operates on PWM not a constant voltage so this was causing the relay to open and close rapidly - I've wired a capacitor (non-polarised, 100uf,35v but I don't think it matters as long as the polarity is right, it's at least 25v - should only need a very small capacitance for a relay) in parallel to the wires from the sidelights and the dimming works perfectly now (a slight delay but who cares!)
Appreciate 0